Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Searching for a ~$450 basher (truggy, most likely) >

Searching for a ~$450 basher (truggy, most likely)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Searching for a ~$450 basher (truggy, most likely)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Searching for a ~$450 basher (truggy, most likely)

I'm looking to get back into the nitro world after being out of the hobby for a couple years. I'm looking for a durable basher, and my price range is around $450 and I'm looking for an RTR. I'm fairly certain I'd like to get a truggy, but I haven't completely ruled out getting an MT yet. If I go the MT route, I'm mainly looking at is the Savage X 4.6 because it's one of the few cars/brands my LHS carries parts for.

As for truggies, I'm looking at either the Kyosho Inferno Neo ST or the Thunder Tiger ST-1. Does anyone have input on either of these two cars? They seem to be at pretty much the same level, but I'm wondering if one of them has any advantages/disadvantages that I should consider.

I'm down to these two mainly because they're in my price range (which, I know, is on the lower end of the truggy spectrum), but if there's more you think I should consider then I'm all ears.

Thank you!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If it has to be a truggy and your looking to stay in that price range and you can get the kyosho then its probably your best bet!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wallee
If it has to be a truggy and your looking to stay in that price range and you can get the kyosho then its probably your best bet!
+1
Old 01-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)

Out of those 2 cars definitely get the kyosho. Way better brand. And even tho that is a cheap kyosho kit, the kyosho is known for their quality. And if you ever decided you wanted to race it at your local track it could be a fun beginners truggy. Get the kyosho.

Last edited by charlesandstuff; 01-26-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Hum i whould say the Kyosho neo rtr truggy they have a version 2 which i think should be better that looks like a great basher/club racing truggy.

Although by looking at the pics of it its going to need hop ups sooner or later.

The old Jammin and Mugen MBX5T look like good bashers but you have to buy them used now .
Old 01-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)

Another truggy too to consider is the caster. www.casterracingusa.com look at the k8-t RTR. Its $489 and you can race that at club racing too or bash it.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I Would say a brushless truggy of some sort...but $450.00 is skimming it tight....A TTR MT4 would probably be the most suited.......

anyways here is a video from some of our local boys who bash their truggies......pretty amazing air if you ask me, and shows just how versatile and capable truggies can be in offroad environments

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by charlesandstuff
Another truggy too to consider is the caster. www.casterracingusa.com look at the k8-t RTR. Its $489 and you can race that at club racing too or bash it.

Oh yea i forgot about that one.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i personally do not think $450.00 is enough for a decent nitro truggy...i think at the price range your making too many compromises for it to be reliable and stable...Something like this TTR MT4 brushless truck would offer you a more robust product with a higher chance of success....I am not a big fan of RTR nitro`s, usually there are soo many little mechanical quirks that it makes it quite overwhelming for a novice to get running correctly...your initial $450.00 investment will quickly balloon to a much higher figure just to get the machine up and running reliably ......At that price I think your better to stick to electric..... I am a nitro guy too, but the nitro``s I see at the price point are nearly impossible to tune correctly, even for me ......

TTR MT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tNGe6qnuJ0
Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

+1 on the Caster
Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

Here's my input as I've owned two of the ones mentioned here. One my first truggies was a TTR ST1. Great basher, tough as nail never broke a thing, handles decently and parts are cheap and easy to come by online plus has a 2-speed available for it. I currently have a MBX5T (2) brushless and nitro, I'll have to disagree if someone says its just a good for basher and not a competitive racer. It handles great, way better than the ST1, parts are easy and cheap also imo, it's a lot more durable than the 6T though the 6T will out maneuver it. As for what you're asking it all boils down to personally preference between the Kyosho and TTR truggies. I will note this though, with the ST1, you'll have to get a wing mount kit for it as it only comes with a spoiler attached to the rear deck of the body where as with the Kyosho you get 2.4ghz radio, more fuel friendly .25, rear wheel mud guards,clean black rims, and the KE25 engine has a unique system in which once the motor is started that are no moving parts that connects the pull start with the crank in effect giving you a backplate type engine minus the added weight but will still help you spool up faster.
Me and a few other guys are actually holding a conversation about the Kyosho Inferno Neo ST at this thread. http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ce-basher.html
There's a guy there that just got the truck recently in the mail and gives a pretty good run down on the whole truggy. Also you can get it for $399 from ultimatehobbies.com

Hopes this helps and whatever you choose enjoy it. Remember it's you that has to drive it not us so just follow your heart.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

Originally Posted by charlesandstuff
Out of those 2 cars definitely get the kyosho. Way better brand. And even tho that is a cheap kyosho kit, the kyosho is known for their quality. And if you ever decided you wanted to race it at your local track it could be a fun beginners truggy. Get the kyosho.

And it has parts compatibility with the STRR. And I don't agree with rtr nitro's being all that problem prone. Some people just had such high standards. I got a MT2 rtr as my first nitro and it was easy to tune and I never tuned b4 that. Head over to the thread I link I posted and people can give you REALITY experience about that Kyosho not just what the think or feel about something. Most people will bag RTR's nitro trucks w/o ever seeing or driving what they are making a statement on.