Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fioroni Duel Action Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Got to use these pistons, and They really help a lot landing huge jumps. The track I ran on yesterday, I use to use 1.3x8 pistons with AE shocks on my Xray, and the car use to get a little squirrely on a huge jump we have on our track when landing. This was using pretty heavy oil, 650 front and 550 rear. So we still had the same jump, but they layout has slightly changed for the state pro series, and with these pistons i had to drop weight, initially started at 500 front, 450 rear, by the end of the night where the car felt best was with 425 front and 375 rear at 55 to 60 degrees F. Car landed so good, was able to get on the gas right away and go. I think the main benefit is that before with a traditional piston, if you land hard enough, not only does compressed oil escape thru the piston holes, but they also escape on the sides, with these pistons that is totally eliminated because the oring is creating a seal kind of like a piston in an engine block not allowing blow by to escape on the sides. The means that before with a tradional piston you had to use a heavier oil to compensate for the sidewalls of the shock, where with this piston you can use a oil weight taylored towards the piston hole size only.

Few Jumping Vids of pistons in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSNYx_qyL8g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQL7ue6n04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfK6yD07rGc

Last edited by mcion; 02-05-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:41 AM
CAR
Tech Addict

Can someone tell me what hole size are the these pistons? Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CAR
+1
Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4ptss
+1
They are either 1.3 or1.4mm on the 16's.its hard to measure that small of a hole with calipers.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Your car looked excellent Dave. You're car feels great with these pistons.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xxxntwv
They are either 1.3 or1.4mm on the 16's.its hard to measure that small of a hole with calipers.
Just use a drill bit to measure. I think they are 1.3 though.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

not gonna lie that big tripple looks like fun I miss big air jumps around here the tracks are all going 1/10 so jumps are getting smaller for us nitro gurus
Old 02-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CAR
1.4 6 holes
Old 02-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Marcus,

You car looked good all weekend. These would be a good option if the new buggy wasnt coming out.

Jon

Originally Posted by mcion
Got to use these pistons, and They really help a lolanding huge jumps. The track I ran on yesterday, I use to use 1.3x8 pistons with AE shocks on my Xray, and the car use to get a little squirrely on a huge jump we have on our track when landing. This was using pretty heavy oil, 650 front and 550 rear. So we still had the same jump, but they layout has slightly changed for the state pro series, and with these pistons i had to drop weight, initially started at 500 front, 450 rear, by the end of the night where the car felt best was with 425 front and 375 rear at 55 to 60 degrees F. Car landed so good, was able to get on the gas right away and go. I think the main benefit is that before with a traditional piston, if you land hard enough, not only does compressed oil escape thru the piston holes, but they also escape on the sides, with these pistons that is totally eliminated because the oring is creating a seal kind of like a piston in an engine block not allowing blow by to escape on the sides. The means that before with a tradional piston you had to use a heavier oil to compensate for the sidewalls of the shock, where with this piston you can use a oil weight taylored towards the piston hole size only.

Few Jumping Vids of pistons in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSNYx_qyL8g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQL7ue6n04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfK6yD07rGc
Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Here's a little video from last weekend. My car that is flo yellow and blue Serpent E buggy. I have the fioroni pistons in the serpent shocks with 37.5 frot and 25 rear. Its jus the 1st 5 mins of the clip. Thanks to Eric for video
Enjoy...

iPhone friendly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bhs...e_gdata_player

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:40 PM
CAR
Tech Addict

Has anyone checked shock temps with this design? I would think that the temps would be higher at the end of a race because of the added fiction of the Oring to shock bore.This could make the shock very inconstant on a long race were the track is very bumpy.

Last edited by CAR; 02-06-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jonw
Marcus,

You car looked good all weekend. These would be a good option if the new buggy wasnt coming out.

Jon
Well if the new shocks are 16mm we are good to go.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Here's a little video from last weekend. My car that is flo yellow and blue Serpent E buggy. I have the fioroni pistons in the serpent shocks with 37.5 frot and 25 rear. Its jus the 1st 5 mins of the clip. Thanks to Eric for video
Enjoy...

iPhone friendly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bhs...e_gdata_player

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Nice video! I race at that track with Frank, and tried these for the first time that same day. I am playing with the oils a little still, but what was immediately noticeable to me was the increased steering! WOW, it was like a whole new car. Also, the action is SUPER SMOOTH. I literally thought I had messed something up building them because the action was so different.

Remarkable!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CAR
Has anyone checked shock temps with this design? I would think that the temps would be higher at the end of a race because of the added fiction of the Oring to shock bore.This could make the shock very inconstant on a long race were the track is very bumpy.

If it did make a change, you would be looking at a potential drop of maybe 25-30SCT, so less than a 10 percent change in most cases. You would typically have more inconsistencies in track temperature/traction than that from round to round. Plus if the viscosity changes, it will be fairly progressive in manner, and likely less of an overall change than a stock piston. Based on dynamics, there would be more heat generated by the sheer force produced by the fluid passing between the piston and the cylinder wall compared to all fluid being diverted through the piston holes. The effective duration of stroke would also be shortened which would be slightly more efficient which would be rewarded by lessened heat increase.

So short answer...it would be inconsistent, but not any more than many of the other uncontrollable inconsistencies to include the dummy at the stick...(just to clarify, that includes me)

Last edited by J. Schwarz; 02-07-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah...what he said! Lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.