Mugen MBX6R or Associated RC8.2?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX6R or Associated RC8.2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 04:01 AM
Tech Champion

Ssooo... After some mixups with a couple of online shops(green on the site didn't mean green..), I finally made the order..

Associated RC8.2 with Fire 11/2087 combo..

For starters I'm thinking 5-5-3, 30wt in the shocks, Hitec 5955 steering, Maybe a Savox 1258 on gas/brakes, and probably the Argus A52 with 0801 for starters. Don't know yet exactly what I'm gonna' do with the Fire 11. Maybe in my SC8, or maybe in the RC8.2 for shxxis and giggles.. Saw a guy racing buggy with a Toro Nero once, and it was just so funny to watch.. I actually have a Go 3-port R newly broken in too, which with the 2041 pipe is honestly a really nice reliable and fast little racing engine..
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 AM
Tech Champion

Merry X-mas...

Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Merry X-mas...

have fun!!

but you should've gotten the mugen lol
Old 12-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Champion

Ha ha.. Already got most of the front end done.. Hands hurt..

Build is going nicely though. Part quality, fit and finish,etc.. is all really good.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aptyk88
Stay away from the associated car they are garbage
LOL typical Losi fanboi. If you can wheel it, any car from the major brands are good. Depends on what your LHS supports and what cars the local racers run. Or you can be that oddball at the track
Old 12-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gameholic2
have fun!!

but you should've gotten the mugen lol
Freaking sweet!! That motor and pipe look awesome. There are a lot of the new associated buggies popping up at my local track an all the owners love em. Have fun.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Champion

My fingers hurt....

I know I know, the fuel tubing is a mess.. Tips?.. Just cut it in half and threw it on at the end..
Old 12-23-2011, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just copy the fuel routing that's on the box.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Why you running such a long pressure line? if you drill a hole in the top splash guard of the tank and add a exhaust cooler and run the fuel tubing through that its cleaner looking and gives a "cooler tank" also gives that extra added pressure to keep fuel line good.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

I just cut the line in half that came with the kit.. I will trim it up somehow before running.. Not convinced to invest in an exhaust cooler.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)
Default rc8.2 vs mbx6r

i honestly would pick the rc8.2 necause it is one of the easiest cars to maintain. It is also the current roar national 1/8 buggy champion. it has been a while since i have seen mugen win a race in us. other than amezcua i think in august. Mugen is a very good car tho. I think that you should try your best to get a drive of of both from a buddy but drive the previous version. the rc7.2 is a whole new car from rc8b. the mbx6r is just a couple upgrades from mbx6
Old 12-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Looks good Herr, where is that RB
Old 12-25-2011, 07:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ran Mugen for 2 years. GREAT car! No major issues and it was easy on the maintenance.

Switched to Kyosho this year and WOW. Once you get over the sticker shock, the K cars are all around better

No experience with Associated cars, but I am sure they are decent.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Champion

The RB's waiting for spring.. Argus still needs some fuel through it.., and I'm really curious to see how it does in buggy, as I've only had it in my SC8 so far..(poor SC8 also had to sacrifice its servos...)

Got the kit together in about two days, but X-mas has gotten in the way of finishing the body - even with a simples single-color spray job.. I like it though..

Very happy with my choice. Again, I don't race seriously or often enough, so even the cost of this thing is high enough. Going higher with a Mugen or whatever would have been even more unnecessary.. Honestly, my best day burning nitro this year was not at a race but a day in late summer when I just burned tank after tank after tank in my RC8B and SC8 at the local track, racing against myself pretty much. I was getting better and better til it got dark.. So thinking of days like that, as well as maybe taking it up a notch in my competitiveness at the off race I can manage to attend, was why I wanted to get one of the newest bestest kits..

BTW, not quite as much carries over from the older Assos as I thought. For ex. the front and rear diffs have different length cups - a minor nuissance, as you can't just buy or have an extra diff hanging around for use in front or rear as need be, but now you need one of each on hand.. The internal gears are the same though, so already having those in the spares box is a small advantage..

All in all it's a very nice kit, feels high quality, went together very well, and yeah, just feels good to have a shiny new kit hanging around ha ha..

(still has the blue foil over it, and the window masks.. I think I'm going to lay down anohter coat of silver, cuz it seems to scratch away pretty easily..)