Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

NEW Mugen Drive Pin Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This tool makes it like pushing tooth picks through butter. axles and center shafts in 10 mins. or less. no problems with mine. but my pins wear in the center not the edge so it's still round on the edge. worth every penny.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 3DRCRACER
Before I got this tool I used to break the pin free initially with a hammer on top of a small socket. Once you break it free it moves easier. I always waited as long as possible to replace my pins because it was a pain in the ass. As easy as the Mugen tool makes them to replace, less than a minute, I'm doing it more frequently which means I haven't had any problems with the pin slipping to the side. I also start off with the shaft with the hole in it to break it free. Then I switch to the one with the pin. About 15 seconds extra but I have not had any problems to date. Hope this helps. All in all, its been a great little tool. Worth the money imho.
That's exactly what I did and it works like a charm. I used the B0541B shaft to break the old pin loose, then switched to the B0541D shaft to push it through, and then back to the B0541B shaft to set the new pin on my Serpent driveshafts. This tool is a must-have tool, bought one for 55 bucks a month ago and and absolutely love it
Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Donat
I've been using the 'torch method' so far but I must admit that it's not the best... I've replaced 6 pins and two of the dogbones cracked...

Are there any tools other than Mugen, Hudy and Titan? $50-100 is quite a lot if you ask me. I'm even thinking of making one by myself.

The heat is Helping to a degree also Hindering to a Degree. Hot Bone/pin and Whacking it with a hammer or punch is the cause of the bones cracking. The Chain breaker or Mugen tool are presses and aren't relying on a SMACK from a hammer, Therefor wont break the shaft.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
The heat is Helping to a degree also Hindering to a Degree. Hot Bone/pin and Whacking it with a hammer or punch is the cause of the bones cracking. The Chain breaker or Mugen tool are presses and aren't relying on a SMACK from a hammer, Therefor wont break the shaft.
Not to mention if you happen to miss with that smack and bent your shaft. just get a chain breaker or this mugen tool and your golden.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxxed-out
The tool works but the shaft (B0541D) used to press the worn pin out will break easily. I have broken 2. I use heat and still broke them. The replacement is only $10 so I would recommend having at least 1 on hand. I think the reason it breaks is the pins are worn on one side and when you screw in, the pressing pin doesn't meet up with the drive pin flush. When you screw down, the pressing pin rotates and falls of the edge of the worn pin and causes it to be in a bind and break, or it breaks from putting pressure only on one side of the pressing pin. You just have to be careful or change out your pins before they get too much wear. You can also cut the pins off flush with the drive shaft with a dremel then press it out so that you make good contact with both the pressing pin and worn drive pin.

Hope this makes sense...
I wish Id read this before I used it, I managed to remove the first pin with no trouble but the second pin broke it, I dremeled the old pin to a flat surface & used that to remove the second pin. I'll try your method next time.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Initially i've had bad luck with this tool. For the better part of the time i've owned it it has gone unused. However I decided to give it another go so i bought a replacement pin screw, the one pressing the pins out. I then proceeded to dremel away the worn out part and making sure the surface was flat.

Lo and behold, it worked! Some of the pins did take alot of force to get out, but it did work.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cavg
Initially i've had bad luck with this tool. For the better part of the time i've owned it it has gone unused. However I decided to give it another go so i bought a replacement pin screw, the one pressing the pins out. I then proceeded to dremel away the worn out part and making sure the surface was flat.

Lo and behold, it worked! Some of the pins did take alot of force to get out, but it did work.
Use a hammer and a socket to break the pin free initially. You wont have any problems.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Change your pins more frequently. Severely worn pins will fracture more easily regardless of hammering or pressing. Fractured pins are very difficult.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

This tool is awesome! I used it on my RC8B3 axle pins and it was so easy. No issues getting them in or out. I highly recommend this tool.

Also I used Hudy pins for replacement.