Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Present

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Christmas Present

Greetings– I would like to get my brother an off road buggy for Christmas this year. He always talks about getting one, so I thought I would surprise him with a kit. The terrain where he lives is mostly dirt and grass (no paved roads for miles). He is also set on nitro.

Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about these things. This would be his first as well. So here's my question:

If you had about $500-$600, what gear do you wish you would have started when you were new?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are other threads that answer this question. Sounds like the best buggy you can get if your only spending 5-600 is a d8. But look around on this forum and you'll get your answer
Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

it wud be a losi eight 2.0 rtr buggy that id suggest if he wants to enter racing ..
it comes with a nice radio by spektrum , a engine starter box, n the engine is powerful enuff to start off ..
i won my first buggy raCe with it in beginners category without a single upgrade .. box stock set .. but its little expensive at about 600-650 usd

or
if u cud wait a little u can get the hpi d8s rtr which is cheaper than losi but promises to b gud as losi rtr minus the spktrum radio n staRTer box .. u get a 2.4ghz hpi radio and a pull start engine
this car too is a race worthy one

both are very proven platforms

and u cud get smthng like ofna hyper7 or hongnorjammin x1 rtr if only for bashing

but first ask your brother if he plans to race or bash

EDIT-- sorry i cudnt think of ultra lx2 before .. dats a very good buggy as well .. add ultra lx2 as an option ..

Last edited by pravesh736; 12-09-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would not recommend a hyper7. Maybe if he's just gonna bash with it but even then it's a big maybe
Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I'd say get him an Ultra Lx 2 for just starting out and comes with everything you need for $299 minus $25 off....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Hz-Transmitter

Or a Hyper 8.5X RTR $379 minus 25 off. Again comes with everything you need. Besides battery, fuel, and starter box

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...t-w-Macstar-28
Old 12-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Prophet

I would get the HB d8 rtr from what i heard from others its a easy to drive hard and strong and will not cost you into $1000 all together.

Them losi eights are tough to drive for a beginner.
I know.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
I would get the HB d8 rtr from what i heard from others its a easy to drive hard and strong and will not cost you into $1000 all together.

I know.
I found the Losi 8 2.0 very easy to do good/drive with, just a little tail happy but you can get the hang of it.........

Durable as well
Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by drs92
I found the Losi 8 2.0 very easy to do good/drive with, just a little tail happy but you can get the hang of it.........

Durable as well

I never own the eight 2.0 buggy just the eight 1.0 buggy but it wasnt that hard to drive it was tail happy though lol. But have heard the same thing with the eight 2.0 buggys. There strong though il admit i dont run losi anymore because of the drivetrain wear mostly.

For a beginner i guess they could get used to it if they let off the throttle when it does that.

But thats why i was remmending the HB d8 rtr because its easier to drive for a beginner.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

FYI

Hot Bodies D8S won't be out until Jan. So much for Christmas.
For just playing around, there is the HPI Trophy 3.5 Buggy.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc5 man

I know.
i dont think losis are hard to drive .. initially wen new to the hobby all cars are hard to drive and understand ..
i had never driven a buggy before . only a ae mgt (yes a MT).. i got the losi n broke it in n practised n i raced it in our club race the aftr 2 days .. i was very happy with it ..
Old 12-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

yes the losis do hv a little more drivetrain wear mostly in the front centre driveshaft becuz of the angle ..

if it was me
for entry level racing losi eight 2.0
bashing n smtyms just smtyms racing lx2

i cnt think of anything else .. hope any 1 of these cars makes your bro happy
Old 12-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I wouldn't recommend a buggy for that terrain. They don't have the ground clearance for true "off road". We call it off road, but they do best on smooth dirt tracks not rough dirt and tall grass. Unless he's really done his research and knows he will be able to have fun where he lives and not get stuck all the time I would consider getting a truggy. There's none tougher than the Losi 8T, but that will be out of your budget. I would consider the HPI Trophy Truggy - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBPVX&P=FR