Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Why not Quick Change Wheels on 8th Buggies?? >

Why not Quick Change Wheels on 8th Buggies??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why not Quick Change Wheels on 8th Buggies??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Exclamation Why not Quick Change Wheels on 8th Buggies??

I have been thinking why is there no quick change wheels on the 8th buggies .????

They have them for Stadium Trucks and on road racers. To me it will be a real benefit to do say in long finals or even a 20min final. Especially if the wrong tire choice was made for the final. Put up with it come in for your pit stop refuel and four differnt tires slapped on and GO!!!!!!!

Maybe its the high stress that occurs than again it just holds the wheel against the hex/hub which is were the stress is. It was so good on my Drake2 come in on the warm up tire change due to a different track conditions/refuel and line up.

Just curious .....
Old 06-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Me and a few others thought about this awhile ago. We came to the conclusion it hasn't been done because the weigth and stress would wear them out, break them, or not hold up on a tweaked or hard landing. Would be cool but not a real issue, if tires were a bad choice before a main then you should of tested more before trying that compound. Only way i see it working real good is if a tire comes un-glued or one happens to fall off. Which is normally driver error or company error if pre mounted.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

That's actually a really good question. Honestly, if someone *really* wanted to perform a tire change, all they'd really need is a wheel gun for the system we have now. I'll tell you why I think it hasn't been done (and probably shouldn't be done): cost.

I think that the main reason that 1/8 nitro buggy has become the most popular RC class around has to do with cost-control and keeping things affordable for weekend racers; companies life Ofna helped to make the class accessible to people for just a few hundred bucks. This really helped to grow the class up from just "elite" racers.

Sure they change wheels/tires in 1/8 on-road, but I think that it's also partly out of necessity due to the power that the cars have and the grip that they need. It's also one of the priciest classes to race in and consequently, doesn't have a large following.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Tech Addict

It would be cool if someone could find a system that never failed to hold the wheels on firm and not bind up under all the wet and dusty conditions.