R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Mark Pavidis' Team Losi 8ight Buggy (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/525648-mark-pavidis-team-losi-8ight-buggy.html)

Bus 06-22-2011 09:41 AM

Did not hear Mark switched to Losi. Does he have a set up sheet? Just curious if its different than Drakes?

SupermaxxRich 06-22-2011 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by guss2009 (Post 9290782)
I just seen his buggy pics. I wonder why he doesnt have the new radio tray the team is using now.

http://gallery.neobuggy.net/Site-Pho...105051_NSK48Jb

thats because there are no more new radio trays. there was just enough for the Team at the Nats....

Davidka 06-22-2011 09:52 AM

There's an interesting dynamic at play with this deal. MP is a founding member of the AKA group, isn't he? Losi is a tire company (were a tire company before a car company if I recall). If AKA is tied to Kyosho isn't there some sort of conflict of interest?

ForwardBite 06-22-2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Davidka (Post 9291010)
There's an interesting dynamic at play with this deal. MP is a founding member of the AKA group, isn't he? Losi is a tire company (were a tire company before a car company if I recall). If AKA is tied to Kyosho isn't there some sort of conflict of interest?

Other than sponsoring many Kyosho drivers, AKA has not been tied to Kyosho for some time now.

superspeed 06-22-2011 12:08 PM

AKA is a separate entity. The future for Kyosho America doesn't look too good, their parts support to local hobby shops has low fulfillment rate.

Armaan 06-22-2011 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by superspeed (Post 9291563)
AKA is a separate entity. The future for Kyosho America doesn't look too good, their parts support to local hobby shops has low fulfillment rate.

Yeah, took a step back after they're distributor (Great Planes) parted ways. You put your product up on Tower Hobbies, and you're going to make money.

Remove it, and you're done (unless you're Losi).

Couple that with the fact that your kits are $100-140 more than your competitors, and you're in for low volume...no matter how many races you win.

Bigedmond 06-22-2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Armaan (Post 9292815)
Couple that with the fact that your kits are $100-140 more than your competitors, and you're in for low volume...no matter how many races you win.

The price thing is a BS issue. Yea the mp9 TKI2 WC is 800 bucks. But a TLR 8ight 2.0 kit is 580. Then add on having to buy the parts for a shock mod, steering servo saver, and hinge pin plates and you are right around 800. The Kyosho comes with everything, even AL rear hubs.

DezSlash 06-22-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bigedmond (Post 9293187)
The price thing is a BS issue. Yea the mp9 TKI2 WC is 800 bucks. But a TLR 8ight 2.0 kit is 580. Then add on having to buy the parts for a shock mod, steering servo saver, and hinge pin plates and you are right around 800. The Kyosho comes with everything, even AL rear hubs.

Gonna have to go with edmond on this one. If you equip any car out there in gonna be up in that range to get all the things that the MP9 comes with. One thing I feel justifies the price is the heritage if Kyosho and world championships. Look at full size cars the ones with a heritage and pedigree demand top dollar and people pay it for that reason.

808gx7r 06-22-2011 07:39 PM

+1

losi_racer 06-22-2011 07:43 PM

with the losi that is BS. you do not need anything for the losi, the car is durable and just as capable of winning any race out of the box. i have ONE thing on my car to increase durability, that is the servo saver arm. everything else is preference and not needed what so ever, other kits(not mentioning Manufacture cause then it gets into a war) you have to but multiple parts so you dont break once a day.btw a losi is only 520 btw+ the servo saver arm your only at 540.

also, you dont have to spend an hour boiling all your parts so you can make a race with losi. just saying tho

Konich 06-22-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Davidka (Post 9291010)

Losi made cars before coming out with thier line of tires from what I remember. What I find unique is that MP has only been with Losi a week and Losi drivers are already using AKA tires.

http://www.shortcourse.eu/2011/06/cl...-showdown-rd2/

Makes me curious to start using them on my 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale

losi_racer 06-22-2011 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Konich (Post 9293594)
Losi made cars before coming out with thier line of tires from what I remember. What I find unique is that MP has only been with Losi a week and Losi drivers are already using AKA tires.

http://www.shortcourse.eu/2011/06/cl...-showdown-rd2/

Makes me curious to start using them on my 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale

actually months ago Losi announced they were using AKA for short course

Armaan 06-22-2011 07:52 PM

Is that the case for every kit they sell?

Probably not. I understand your point--I just don't agree with it. Let's hypothesize...how many 8ight 2.0 owners you think make the mods you mention? 1 out of 10? 20? 30?

Regardless, all the manufacturers are pretty close in terms of out-of-the-box performance, with the exception of the RC8.

Trust me, I love the attention to detail Kyosho puts into their products...but when I can't find an A-Arm without driving 30 miles, it poses a problem for me. I can go to Hobby People, HobbyTown USA or any other LHS within a 5 mile radius of where I live and find the part I need at a price that I can live with (Associated).

Semple 06-22-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by DezSlash (Post 9293234)
Look at full size cars the ones with a heritage and pedigree demand top dollar and people pay it for that reason.

But MAZDA of all brands is raced more often than any other brand. Because people can afford it, and WIN with it. Your argument about heritage and pedigree fetching top dollar is completely true, but it doesn't mean anything. The people who are willing to pay for heritage are usually not the people winning the most races. Maybe the biggest races are won by those prestigious brands, but 99% of us on RCTech aren't winning at national events.

If Ferrari were the only option, motorsport would die overnight.

Armaan 06-22-2011 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Semple (Post 9293679)
But MAZDA of all brands is raced more often than any other brand. Because people can afford it, and WIN with it. Your argument about heritage and pedigree fetching top dollar is completely true, but it doesn't mean anything. The people who are willing to pay for heritage are usually not the people winning the most races. Maybe the biggest races are won by those prestigious brands, but 99% of us on RCTech aren't winning at national events.

If Ferrari were the only option, motorsport would die overnight.

Heck, you nailed that like a split hog. You're absolutely right. Heritage and pedigree do matter to some...but you don't see Aston Martin dominating LeMans...