how often do you wash tires with water?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how often do you wash tires with water?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Rookie

I wash them when ever they get clogged up, which is pretty often in the winter here in the UK!

I always cover any holes in the wheels with tape on the inside when gluing up, and punch holes in the tyre. When I want to wash them I find the holes (line them up with writing on the side wall), plug them with M3 screws and dunk away. Sealed up tight, no water gets in and you get nice, clean tyres.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

I clean my trucks and tires with some good stiff brushes ,,heavy duty silicone spray or fw-1 waterless carwash then I wipe them down with an old cleaning rag....

Sure water is cheaper but its also more destructive......Thats why my bashers last and last...

The silicone spray helps keep the tires rubbery and pliable...........They also help protect the rpm a-arms

Dirty,,,After a couple hours bashing...........

This pic was taken after cleaning the truck/tires and wiping them clean and dry...I also used some compressed air

When I assemble my tires I belt them with duct tape and I treat the foams with water repellent spray for sneakers so they resist sucking up water when I bash....................
Old 04-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I've been cleaning wheels/tires after every practice day/race day for a couple years now with no problems. I reuse the foams for atleast a few sets of tires. I just use liquid soap in the garage sink with warm water and a tire brush and then dry them off and squeeze them at the vent holes in tires to get whatever water out of the foams, and its usually barely any. I like clean wheels and tires. I think the car runs better