Community
Wiki Posts
Search

would you consider the best drivers in the world athletes

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I know Jeromy Kortz and I'm sure he could out run anyone with a cigarette on his lip!!!
THAT SKINNY DUDE IS FAST!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

I agree with alot of what is said.

I think it would be better to say they are professionals than amateurs.

The difference is that professionals get paid for racing while amateurs don't.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCmayor
I don't remember standing as a being a sport.
I don't think that standing is a sport.

But it may be a profession.

We have allot of people where I work standing around all day.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You guys are missing it.....they not only stand for long periods of time but do finger exercises for that whole time also! LOL

In all honesty RC is a hand eye cordination thing similar to playing video games.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

No cause most of them dont marshal.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

If you had to run down from the stand and marshal your own vehicle... then yes.

It's hard enough convincing people it's a sport, let alone calling the drivers athletes.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Marshaling a Sportsman Truggy C main definatly takes some athletic ability..
Old 04-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hemi Killer
standing in one spot for an hour, or four hours does not require stamina, it requires concentration.

take that same person who stood for an hour and make him run for an hour. good talk

I used to be an athlete when I played football...no longer

athletic abilities include stamina (standing not included), physical fitness, agility etc.

poker is not a sport, no matter what they call it.

now if there were a subcategory for brain sports, RC would fit, along with poker, chess, etc.

crazy ass ping pong players would be somewhere in the middle, as would billiards and badmitton
You've never played table tennis or badminton, that I can tell. You'd be surprised just how high your pulse gets from moving so little. Boxers don't move that much(or so it seems), but it's damn hard work.

Metal stamina is what's mostly used for RC racing. And maybe a little aerobic exercise when marshaling.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Boxers don't move much? lmao

I bet you'd gas out after 1 round..
Old 04-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Prophet

when, your racing in 90 + degree heat with humity and standing on the drivers stand its hard to focus for just a 20 min main with all the sweat dripping from your face thats brain thinking.

i, think marshalling not in pro r/c racing with guys who get paid but with regular joe racers like us in hot weather picking up and dodgeing cars coming off a jump is athletic if you ask me.

you, got me why espn thinks golfers are athletes is the biggest joke even stock cars going around circles is the same thing just focus .
Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10
Boxers don't move much? lmao

I bet you'd gas out after 1 round..
I bet you missed the part in the parentheses.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

you mean the (or so it seems) part?

Nahh I got it. I think you don't know what you're talking about. and I stand by my statement.

I would consider RC drivers mental athletes. If you ever watched Adam Drake, Jeremy Kortz, etc race they get in a zone. It's amazing to see the pro level drivers drive in person.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man

you, got me why espn thinks golfers are athletes is the biggest joke even stock cars going around circles is the same thing just focus .
I can tell you this from experiance. Racecar drivers ARE very athletic!!!! Not just concentration. Ive lost 5 to 10 Pounds in a Main Event Sprintcar Race from sweating so much from the work out it gave and I was a young kid in shape.

I wouldnt consider RC Racing athletic at all. Thats why I enjoy it now, Take no effort and im lazy!!! but mental concentration is AMAZING

My thing is why are RC Drivers called "Drivers" isnt it more like "Opperating"
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs.

Fine motor skills are the coordination of small muscle movements which occur e.g., in the fingers, usually in coordination with the eyes. In application to motor skills of hands (and fingers) the term dexterity is commonly used. When applied to the theory of human aptitude this is called manual dexterity.

Strategy, a word of military origin, refers to a plan of action designed to achieve a particular goal. In military usage strategy is distinct from tactics, which are concerned with the conduct of an engagement, while strategy is concerned with how different engagements are linked. How a battle is fought is a matter of tactics: the terms and conditions that it is fought on and whether it should be fought at all is a matter of strategy, which is part of the four levels of warfare: political goals or grand strategy, strategy, operations, and tactics. Building on the work of many thinkers on the subject, one can define strategy as "a comprehensive way to try to pursue political ends, including the threat or actual use of force, in a dialectic of wills – there have to be at least two sides to a conflict. These sides interact, and thus a Strategy will rarely be successful if it shows no adaptability."[1]

hmmm make you guys think
Old 04-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

I've played collegiate sports at the highest level, I was in training for the jr Olympics in high school and I played 2 years of professional sports.

Racing a radio controlled toy car is a hobby! Some lucky extremely skilled hobbyists get paid to do it! (mucho props to those guys).

But The only physical exertion I've ever seen at a track is the ever elusive fully attentive Marshall who will actually hustle for the time he's out there, and at best its a ten yard sprint if he cares and if not it's just a leisurely 10 yard saunter!

Race hard have fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.