Search

Losi 2.0 starter box - belt snapping issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Losi 2.0 starter box - belt snapping issue

Hi,

I have a 1.0 RTR, it does fit onto the starter box but need to push it forward slightly and towards the starter box flywheel to get a clean fit onto the clutch flywheel. If I don’t get it exact then it doesn’t turn over but 99% of the time it’s OK.

I have snapped 2 belts in the course of 1 month. The first belt broke after 2 weekends of use and same with the second belt.

Has anyone come across this issue? Can I do something to the box to adjust the gears in the starter box? The belt is a hard plastic type, is there another softer belt available (or aftermarket)?

Im thinking the belt is snapping due to when the starter box flywheel is turning but stops suddenly if you move the chassis a bit and doesn’t get a clean contact.

Any ideas?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Well at least I know im not the only one who is having this problem!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

I dont know if this will help but I have a 2.0 version Losi starter box.The belt in it broke just after I bought it.I replaced it with this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/LOSI-8B-T-2-0-Sta...item3f050f0dd3 This belt is 100 times better than the original.Just make sure what box you have before hand if you plan on getting one of these belts.All I did when I found this belt was look up the Losi part number for it then search ebay for that number.Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for that. Ive ordered a few off ebay, hopefully they last!!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by KyoshoKid
Thanks for that. Ive ordered a few off ebay, hopefully they last!!

when you get them dont set the belts on it to tight or to loose about 1mm to 2mm is good .
Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc5 man
when you get them dont set the belts on it to tight or to loose about 1mm to 2mm is good .
How do I adjust the belt tension?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Prophet

How do I adjust the belt tension?

the, bolts that are into the motor holes just slide the motor back to "tighten the belt" and move foward to lossen than hold the motor in place and tighten the screws .

i, dont have the "2.0 starter box" i have the black losi eight stater box but i think the only thing diffrent about the 2.0 eight starter box is its red and has 775 motors.

you adjust it just like gear meshing on your buggy/truggy.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc5 man
the, bolts that are into the motor holes just slide the motor back to "tighten the belt" and move foward to lossen than hold the motor in place and tighten the screws .

i, dont have the "2.0 starter box" i have the black losi eight stater box but i think the only thing diffrent about the 2.0 eight starter box is its red and has 775 motors.

you adjust it just like gear meshing on your buggy/truggy.
Thanks, I'll have a look at the motor screws and see how I go.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Thanks, I'll have a look at the motor screws and see how I go.

no problem just remember to have 1mm to 2mm of play in the belt or it will snap.

1mm is what i whould try first.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

Hi,

I have a 1.0 RTR, it does fit onto the starter box but need to push it forward slightly and towards the starter box flywheel to get a clean fit onto the clutch flywheel. If I don’t get it exact then it doesn’t turn over but 99% of the time it’s OK.

I have snapped 2 belts in the course of 1 month. The first belt broke after 2 weekends of use and same with the second belt.

Has anyone come across this issue? Can I do something to the box to adjust the gears in the starter box? The belt is a hard plastic type, is there another softer belt available (or aftermarket)?

Im thinking the belt is snapping due to when the starter box flywheel is turning but stops suddenly if you move the chassis a bit and doesn’t get a clean contact.

Any ideas?
if it a direct drive(belt on the pinion) i wouldnt know.
but my goes from pinion to a shaft then anther belt(same sort of box) to anther shaft that holds the wheel. and i snapped a few in one weekend. it was the meshing of the gears... was straining it
Old 02-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Initiate

one of the problems i have found with these boxes is if the lid gets pushed down to far at one time or another the contact will get bent a little to much. This is causing the starter wheel and flywheel comming together before the starter box motor starts turning. To fix, open the box and bend the contact up a little bit so that the motors come on a little sooner, this will cause the starter box motor to start spinning and get up to speed before your flywheel touches. Hope this helps, it kinda hard to try and explain without showing.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by crotty777
one of the problems i have found with these boxes is if the lid gets pushed down to far at one time or another the contact will get bent a little to much. This is causing the starter wheel and flywheel comming together before the starter box motor starts turning. To fix, open the box and bend the contact up a little bit so that the motors come on a little sooner, this will cause the starter box motor to start spinning and get up to speed before your flywheel touches. Hope this helps, it kinda hard to try and explain without showing.
Im assuming you're talking about the metal bit under the springs that get pushed down, part# LOSA99428? http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOSA99059Manual.pdf
Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all your feedback, I havent had a chance to look at the starter box, hopefully in the next day or so. I'll report back with my findings.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dash riprock
I dont know if this will help but I have a 2.0 version Losi starter box.The belt in it broke just after I bought it.I replaced it with this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/LOSI-8B-T-2-0-Sta...item3f050f0dd3 This belt is 100 times better than the original.Just make sure what box you have before hand if you plan on getting one of these belts.All I did when I found this belt was look up the Losi part number for it then search ebay for that number.Hope this helps.
I broke three stock belts in a week,well everone using my box to break in there engines because theirs were dead but anyway I bought one of these but have not tried it yet because I have not broke another belt in months.
Go figure. Oh yea when I went to get the third belt no one had them and everyone said backordered so I had to buy a new box.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Im assuming you're talking about the metal bit under the springs that get pushed down, part# LOSA99428? http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOSA99059Manual.pdf
Yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.