Like Tree1Likes

rc screws?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigAlz
Would be nice to find a cheat sheet of what comes in the kits
Go with the Boca method. Figure out what you need for whatever cars you have and make kits for them, then make an offer. Anyone that wants a kit for a different car just needs to send you a list of every screw and in exchange you will give them 10% off on the order or something like that. Then you have another car to add to your offerings.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing myself.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

That's a good idea. Id imagine a large % share very similar sizes. That would help prices when getting some quotes
Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There's alot of different sizes when you think about it. When you figure in some cars run Standard US hardware and some use Metric. Still a good Idea BigAlz, Keep up posted on what you come up with.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I have used RC Screwz with good and bad results.....I have noticed in the same package..same size..apparently different brands or grades of screws.

I have a set for my Summit and have noticed some are much softer than others, in the exact same size screw...and looking closely have seen different markings on the screws.

I wish it was more consistant with the "harder" screws....they do seem to be softer and prone to strip if your drivers are worn or you are using ball ended drivers.....but for the Summit I preffer the stainless screws since it plays in the snow often.

My "racing" vehicles that dont get wet, I preffer the better quality standard screws, my "bashing" trucks get stainless, and I am just more careful when working on them.

I have purchased a few screw sets from ebay they are the same quality as I get from the local hardware store....I will have to get a set from Tony's and see if they are a better grade.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

I could do the stainless like Rc screws no problem. But I was thinking something a little morre catering to racers .. strong and light. This thread has the gears turning again. Integra- as fir size I meant car brand to car brand. I figured there would be some similar
Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Check out Hexcrews.com, they make grade 12.9 screws with a zinc-nickel coating that's corrosive resistant. I haven't found a better option than these in terms of strength, cost and appearance. They also eliminate the button heads with cap heads which allows you to use a larger wrench size. If you car isn't on the screw kit list it can be created in a few days. Just make sure you have a quality set of wrenches because soft tips won't last long with these.

http://www.hexcrews.com/hexheads-screw-kits.aspx
http://www.hexcrews.com/hexheadsap-factsheet.htm
Old 02-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

30% stronger than titanium?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

A titanium screw is weaker the a hardened steel one (same size screw). The titanium one is much lighter tho and that is why it is interesting to use them if you want to save weight.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Titanium isn't really regarded for strength, but more for it's strength-to-weight ratio. In general, by volume, steel has it beat. There are always exceptions with grades but anywhere there will be a lot of stress such as diff cases, shock mounting or camber links, I would be careful to put a Ti screw. If you do some research on the internet you'll see that titanium gets a lot more credit than what it's worth.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Pretty much what these guys said:

Originally Posted by Ambros303
A titanium screw is weaker the a hardened steel one (same size screw). The titanium one is much lighter tho and that is why it is interesting to use them if you want to save weight.
Originally Posted by KyLayfield
Titanium isn't really regarded for strength, but more for it's strength-to-weight ratio. In general, by volume, steel has it beat. There are always exceptions with grades but anywhere there will there will be a lot of stress such as diff cases, shock mounting or camber links, I would be careful to put a Ti screw. If you do some research on the internet you'll see that titanium gets a lot more credit than what it's worth.
Basically, Ti has a higher strength to weight ratio than all but the best high strength steel. But by volume, steel is stronger except for low grade steels.

To put it another way, lets say you are designing an aircraft. You determine that a bolt needs to be at least as strong as a 10mm high strength steel bolt. These are your options:

1. Use a 10mm steel bolt.
2. A 10mm Ti bolt will not be strong enough.
3. An 11mm Ti bolt will give you the same strength and be slightly lighter.
4. A 12mm Ti bolt will be the same weight and be slightly stronger.

Numbers used as an example, not real facts.

But if space does not allow the use of a larger bolt, then the 10mm steel bolt is your only option.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

i see
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

I think i've posted this one before on a different thread but it really says it all:

Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

So a titanium "screw kit" wouldn't make alot of sence. Cause there's only a few spots to use it. But I can still also think of alot of places it would be good. Just wonder if it would be worth the investment
Old 02-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

VSR is a local guy in NC who does screw kits. Really nice stuff.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by boomgagem
I get my screw kits and bearings from a local guy here. Awesome screws and a great guy...

http://www.4chobbysupply.com/servlet...its/Categories
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.