Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternative To Kal-Gard Degreaser?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Todd, with Kalgard (RC Distributor) is an awesome guy, don't know if things are still going, but worth contacting him if interested in Kalgard Products. I'll continue using them, nothing I've used/found seems better for cleaning-lubricating.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Trevor- don't feel bad, I am with you, lol. The only thing water touches is a stripped bare aluminum chassis. I ran two races where we had to run in the mud, and each time I waterhosed and used a ton of wd-40 and air hose, and tons of the car still rusted. Besides, all the wd-40 that people spray on to prevent rust collects dust and trashes the car quicker when you go back out the next time, but to each his own.

As for cleaning, I only have two things I use, Greased Lightning "orange blast", and brake cleaner. If you actually try the orange blast you will never buy simple green again. The orange blast evaporates better, leaves it looking better, and also doesn't gunk up the bearings. Simple green is horrible on bearings. The orange blast is much thinner and easier to work with.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i hose my stuff down all the time... and the only thing that might have a little rust is the screws on the chassis.... i take radio tray and engine out... spray with simple green... then hose it down.... blow off excess water... then spray some kalgard prep and shine... and its good.. no WD40 or any of that oily stuff
Old 01-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

How a pro cleans a muddy car? Haha i would never do what most do mainly because they are PRO. They dont need to worry about rust, or parts. Just watch 1st min or whole if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojp6ZBOzU08
Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
not with a water hose! LMAO!
Well tell us how you do it then?

Don't get me wrong I don't just go blasting water on it. My buggy is broken down when I use water. I clean any bearings that are worthy of saving out and re grease them.

The way I clean may not be the "preferred" method, but I haven't had any problems with rust or bearings going bad or anything. I take care of my buggy, but I do use water.

I will try the orange blast, because I use simple green/denatured alcohol mix. But if there is a better way to clean I would like to know.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

simple green, let it soak up, scrub it down, blow it off, let it dry, pledge it, blow it off, DONE....... I also pop seals every couple races and relube with MuchMore bearing lube....basic cleaning stuff man, that's all.....and I didnt say anything about top pros....I said full ride factory guys, however, I would consider Josh Wheeler a top pro
Old 01-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by boomgagem
Well tell us how you do it then?

Don't get me wrong I don't just go blasting water on it. My buggy is broken down when I use water. I clean any bearings that are worthy of saving out and re grease them.

The way I clean may not be the "preferred" method, but I haven't had any problems with rust or bearings going bad or anything. I take care of my buggy, but I do use water.

I will try the orange blast, because I use simple green/denatured alcohol mix. But if there is a better way to clean I would like to know.
I use to use the orange blast. Done ok but was a de greaser not a cleaner. Now i keep my cars looking new by taking some time. Im sure alot of people dont but the people who do get the most performance every time they race. I dont fully dissasemble but i simply take front end and rear off and use a tooth brush and simple green or kal gard contact cleaner. Scrub blow down, then scrub and blow down then hit with kal gard prep and shine or a light coat of simple green in a spray bottle and blow off again. Dont really take long and it gives you a chance to check common issues. Like bearings, loose screws or bent parts or damaged plastics. Then i hit my car with contact cleaner and prep and shine on chassis. This is good stuff because its electronics free and dont harm engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv86z1y_DsU
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
simple green, let it soak up, scrub it down, blow it off, let it dry, pledge it, blow it off, DONE....... I also pop seals every couple races and relube with MuchMore bearing lube....basic cleaning stuff man, that's all.....and I didnt say anything about top pros....I said full ride factory guys, however, I would consider Josh Wheeler a top pro
even on a muddy day.. thats impressive
Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

if I have KalGard I will use that anyday, the standard de-greaser/prep-n-shine method and compressor, it really is awesome stuff.....the Proshine is great as well.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by kgombe
even on a muddy day.. thats impressive
who said anything about mud?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

just wondering bro.. just wondering
Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
I use to use the orange blast. Done ok but was a de greaser not a cleaner. Now i keep my cars looking new by taking some time. Im sure alot of people dont but the people who do get the most performance every time they race. I dont fully dissasemble but i simply take front end and rear off and use a tooth brush and simple green or kal gard contact cleaner. Scrub blow down, then scrub and blow down then hit with kal gard prep and shine or a light coat of simple green in a spray bottle and blow off again. Dont really take long and it gives you a chance to check common issues. Like bearings, loose screws or bent parts or damaged plastics. Then i hit my car with contact cleaner and prep and shine on chassis. This is good stuff because its electronics free and dont harm engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv86z1y_DsU
I do the same thing. After every race I take the front, rear, center diff, radio tray, engine, tank off the buggy. I soak the chassis in simple green, spray down with hose, air compressor, then wipe with paper towel until dry.

I do a combination of all that on the front and rear. And I clean bearings every race too, also hinge pins.

I would love to use the Kalgard stuff, but no one carries it around me.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by boomgagem
I do the same thing. After every race I take the front, rear, center diff, radio tray, engine, tank off the buggy. I soak the chassis in simple green, spray down with hose, air compressor, then wipe with paper towel until dry.

I do a combination of all that on the front and rear. And I clean bearings every race too, also hinge pins.

I would love to use the Kalgard stuff, but no one carries it around me.
You can order it off line, i dont do much bearing mainence just spray with 30-30 Kal Gard and it keeps bearings fresh for a long long time. I agree its hard to find locally but its worth ordering and last way longer than orange blast. To get my cars clean to my specs it takes a half bottle of it lol.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by kgombe
just wondering bro.. just wondering
do you play with your truggy in the mud Kgombe?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:59 AM
Tech Addict

Do any of you guys that do not hose their car off race on tracks that have calcium in them? I don't know about other states but in Florida a lot of the tracks use calcium to 1: hold moisture and 2: get the track to blue groove. Just wondering because calcium will rust a car faster than water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.