Wiki Posts
Search

How do you get sponsors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default How do you get sponsors?

So all you sponsored guys, how'd you get them? I know you have to represent yourself well and things like that. What I don't see is sponsorship applications on websites or anything like that. Do you have to know someone or what? Just wondering where to get started, that's it.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Lord

Drive well, be friendly and helpfull to other drivers and keep contact with shop owners and distributors.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

You need to go to the regional races in your area as well as some of the national level events and do well, always act as an upstanding citizen and provide information to those that are just starting out. You do all of that and if you are good enough / there is room on a team then the companies will approach you. If you feel that you are doing that and are still slipping through the cracks then you can write up a resume basically stating what races you have gone to in the past couple years and where you finished, what races you plan on going to for the remainder of the year--next season, and tell them why the company would be better off by having you as a sponsored driver...and remember you will start off at the bottom and may only get 50% off of retail to start but should have the opportunity to be re-evaluated when your sponsorship comes up for renewal.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

yeah shane... talk to your local distributor!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Go to larger races in your area, Win some races, follow a series to show commitment.

The most important thing is be be helpful to everyone, show respect to everyone, and carry yourself well no matter how your race day goes. Also show your appreciation to the people who help you out, who knows they may be the ones to take you on.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I made a racing resume and through talking to some people who were already sponsored got the correct email addresses to send it to. This is a good time of year to apply as most companies are looking to setup their 2011 teams. I know Agama is looking for drivers. Theyve posted on Sgrid about it and a friend of mine has gotten on the team.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All of the other stuff is a bonus, but first you have to WIN. Win big, small, regional, series, club races, etc. But if you're sponsored, then you're expected to perform....with the product you represent.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark Mixon
All of the other stuff is a bonus, but first you have to WIN. Win big, small, regional, series, club races, etc. But if you're sponsored, then you're expected to perform....with the product you represent.
There can be variations of this claim..me for example..I have two sponsors; Answer-RC, and Clockworks engines and they both sponsored me because i was so enthusiastic about there products. I bought them retail, raced with them, loved them, started telling everyone and spreading the word and next thing I knew they both offered me sponsorships. the reason vendors give sponsorships is to increase sales! What better way than to have a great salesperson/spokesman who believes so much in the product that he/she spreads the word every chance they get. Now, you wont get a chassis sponsorship just by posting all over RC forums that Mugen Rules and everyone should buy one, but the smaller companies who are trying to make a name for themselves may take note that you are helping increase their sales. by the way, my driving still sucks and I dont win anything, but I continue to tell people how great Answer-RC products are and that Clockworks engines are hands down monsters! My sponsors get what they want because I help increase sales and I get my sponsorship discounts..The point I am trying to make is that there is a bit more to it than winning, but winning comes first when it comes to Chassis sponsorships
Old 10-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Look outside the RC world.

When I started racing, I'd slap anyone's name on the side of the car that would buy me a set of tires, body, battery......I had local hardware stores, lawfirms, cleaners, carwashes, gas stations....Sponsorship isn't all about getting free stuff. Building a working relaionship whith those places got me deals outside of RC, became known in the community and helped advertise for the small business owners.

If you are looking for a nationwide sponsor, you must be racing above club level and at least at regional. don't expect massive goodies racing at one track 3X a season.

some of the sponsors I had did have a contingency program I adopted. If I won XXX main, the sponsor would agree to buy me or give me XXX of money to spend on upgrades. Higher mains=higher contingency. At most I think I asked for like 30 bucks for a TQ and a Amain finish. Again, get greedy and watch sponsors vanish.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

I totally agree with James! Winning is nice, but let's face it...this is a grassroots sport and the closest a local guy may come to any of these companies products is to see them on your vehicle. I'm an enthusiastic die-hard representative for the companies I represent, and I only run stuff that I can stand behind and tout as excellent products. They don't want shills...they want honest guys that race and have fun and help others AND promote their products whenever and where ever possible.

Put together a resume telling them who you are and what you're about, where you race, your racing results, what you'll bring to the table and why they should consider sponsoring you. And then approach them and ASK...all they can say is no thanks...and if you're lucky they'll tell you why and what you need to do or accomplish in their opinion before you ask them again. Target emerging companies or companies that don't have much representation in your particular geographic area. This is a great place to start...and good luck!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
There can be variations of this claim..me for example..I have two sponsors; Answer-RC, and Clockworks engines and they both sponsored me because i was so enthusiastic about there products. I bought them retail, raced with them, loved them, started telling everyone and spreading the word and next thing I knew they both offered me sponsorships. the reason vendors give sponsorships is to increase sales! What better way than to have a great salesperson/spokesman who believes so much in the product that he/she spreads the word every chance they get. Now, you wont get a chassis sponsorship just by posting all over RC forums that Mugen Rules and everyone should buy one, but the smaller companies who are trying to make a name for themselves may take note that you are helping increase their sales. by the way, my driving still sucks and I dont win anything, but I continue to tell people how great Answer-RC products are and that Clockworks engines are hands down monsters! My sponsors get what they want because I help increase sales and I get my sponsorship discounts..The point I am trying to make is that there is a bit more to it than winning, but winning comes first when it comes to Chassis sponsorships
+1 WELL SAID JAMES
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by rcgeezer
I totally agree with James! Winning is nice, but let's face it...this is a grassroots sport and the closest a local guy may come to any of these companies products is to see them on your vehicle. I'm an enthusiastic die-hard representative for the companies I represent, and I only run stuff that I can stand behind and tout as excellent products. They don't want shills...they want honest guys that race and have fun and help others AND promote their products whenever and where ever possible.

Put together a resume telling them who you are and what you're about, where you race, your racing results, what you'll bring to the table and why they should consider sponsoring you. And then approach them and ASK...all they can say is no thanks...and if you're lucky they'll tell you why and what you need to do or accomplish in their opinion before you ask them again. Target emerging companies or companies that don't have much representation in your particular geographic area. This is a great place to start...and good luck!
WOW ALSO WELL SAID
Old 10-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In Soviet Russia Sponsor gets you
Old 10-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdeppen
In Soviet Russia Sponsor gets you
In Soviet Russia, that sounds scary
Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ruune
yeah shane... talk to your local distributor!

LOL, 3rd overall in the Texas State Series good enough for you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.