Wiki Posts
Search

wheels spinning opposite direction. help :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by -R2-
Diff is in backwards, the diff gear should sit on the left side of the gearbox when looking at it and for both front or rear gearboxes.

Originally Posted by bmwpower88
the car was running fine before this happened...

Not possible R2.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Not possible R2.
+1
so the car was fine 1second and not the next and there were no repairs made to it whatsoever in the meantime ?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Looks like he was talking about spining the front wheels by hand and seeing the back wheels turning the opposite way, which would be explained by the blown out clutch bearings he found, Clutch locked up making the diff gears do their thing when he spun the wheels.

Replace clutch bearings and all should be good.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I assumed someone had worked on it.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
That still wouldn't be the cause of your wheels spinning in opposite directions..it's likely your diff.
Not true. If his clutch bell wouldn't move due to a bad bearing, it wouldn't allow the center diff to rotate... that will cause the symptom he described.

But thanks for playing!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

BMW,

Ignore the comments about the diff being backwards... yes, that can look like the same problem, but in your case it is just the clutch problem you found. Fix that and you'll be fine.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

definitely something with the center diff or clutch....take it apart and inspect.

I reread and I am confused.. How can a CB bearing cause the wheels to spin in oppsite directions when on the box? If a brake was draggin it wouldn't let one set of wheels turn at all, and all power would go to the other end.. IF a gear is broken inside, it will simply lock the diff or slip with out spinning either set of wheels..

I still say it is a F/R diff in backwards..
Old 10-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty!
Sorry Nick, but one of his diffs is installed backwards.. I know with Losi, you can install one way, but most other brands you can mess it up.. I always check during reassembly..

I know it has been said, but you have a diff gear installed backward. if the fronts spin backward when the engine turns them, then the front diff is in wrong..
Scotty you are ignoring the fact that the guy has said his clutch bearing has collapsed.
With the clutch working properly, you would be correct. When the clutch bell is solid and cannot turn, then the diff action will cause the wheels to go in opposite directions (turn your left front wheel and the front right will go in the opposite direction!!).
Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flipfly
Scotty you are ignoring the fact that the guy has said his clutch bearing has collapsed.
With the clutch working properly, you would be correct. When the clutch bell is solid and cannot turn, then the diff action will cause the wheels to go in opposite directions (turn your left front wheel and the front right will go in the opposite direction!!).
Okay right on.. DUH, on my part.. But I read where he started it and the wheels were turning backwards..
Originally Posted by bmwpower88
i started the car airborne but wheels where still spinning opposite ways.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Not true. If his clutch bell wouldn't move due to a bad bearing, it wouldn't allow the center diff to rotate... that will cause the symptom he described.

But thanks for playing!

...yeah, I realized that just after I posted it

..it was fun.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Tech Rookie

If the clutch is locked spinning front or rear wheels will turn the center diff gears and cause the opposite wheels to turn backwards.

thats what happened. the clutch was locked due to broken gear.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by VenturaDC
Looks like he was talking about spining the front wheels by hand and seeing the back wheels turning the opposite way, which would be explained by the blown out clutch bearings he found, Clutch locked up making the diff gears do their thing when he spun the wheels.

Replace clutch bearings and all should be good.

thats what had happened. i changed the clutch bell with new gears and its working fine now.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by DOMIT

But thanks for playing!

yes you know your thing. i have changed it and works good now. thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Flipfly

yeah exactly what happened. diff has never been touched before. new clutch bell and gears and all is working now. thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Simlar issue with Tamiya Plasma Edge

The FR and FL spinin opposite directions and the RR and RL spin in opposite directions. Would this likely be a differential issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.