Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What ever happened to 2WD 10th Scale Gas Truck Racing?? >

What ever happened to 2WD 10th Scale Gas Truck Racing??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree24Likes

What ever happened to 2WD 10th Scale Gas Truck Racing??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Today we ran gas truck had three show up but we have hard core guys and they post on our local forums calling every one with one to come out. I Have never raced or even driven one but it looks like a ton of fun that could be done for cheap compared to 8th.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by DezSlash
Today we ran gas truck had three show up but we have hard core guys and they post on our local forums calling every one with one to come out. I Have never raced or even driven one but it looks like a ton of fun that could be done for cheap compared to 8th.
how was the turn out?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i never really liked nitro much (despite friends tellin me i'm better at it, say same thing bout onroad vs my beloved offroad. perhaps i need to go do the 1 disclipline i've never done nitro onroad, but then i'd hate to go broke lol)....

...but i've always respected 1/10 gas truck. long mains, pitstop, and keepin the truck under so key. we even liked throwin in an electric and swappin batts for fun. GT was done before the slash came out. there were only minute pockets for it to finish off. truggies and folks lazyness as mentioned above to get big HP-4wd-tank durability grip it and rip it fun. why you think there's always a 'where's the etiquette, nitro hack, no driving concept, keep it full throttle is BS' thread in here every wk from the latest person to be pissed off at their club race by the consummate nitro clown.

hope like all things it comes back around. honestly do even if i dont race it.

R

PS-agree bout the track thing. but then again i moved into my 1st new house and all the good tracks are far away, which makes it rough. Gettin older now and perhaps i dont wanna spend all day at the track and 3-4-5hrs on the road or more. Ebb and flow...
Old 10-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking What I can't race

Well, the only thing I can't race is 1/5th scale, 1/8th scale onroad and motorcycles.

Other than that, I have a car for every event. (Hmm Maybe not onroad formula) Anyway, I''ve got the 10th scale covered.

Onroad (I know a different thread) for what it's worth is actually fun and
precise. The ground doesn't move. It's fast and fun to try to pass others or keep from being passed.

In my area, core truck has taken most of the crowd by storm. Several people have sold their other cars and gone core. I just keep adding to the stable and I don't sell anything. This is because by the time I sell something, I won't get much for it, so I keep it. Figure XX-4 was 300, ESC 120, Batteries, 120, tires
(gees who know, I have a huge box full) charger, radio.

Charger is a competition Electronics so you know I have spent a pretty penny and to sell this stuff?? I could not get more than $150 for.
No way. I'll keep it until I'm ready to be put in the ground and I hope to have it with me when I go. Radio in hand..
Old 10-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bret Pousson
how was the turn out?
3 gas trucks. Scott and the maestas bros. More people should of came we had elections. But thats the way the cookie crumbles.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DezSlash
3 gas trucks. Scott and the maestas bros. More people should of came we had elections. But thats the way the cookie crumbles.
i really wanted to but the schedule change makes it where im on call that weekend. il be there when i can. but anyways gas truck was ablast. hard to drive kinda like mod 2wd. really made u a better driver imo. If u could hang on to all the power .
Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Well, this one of the issues that is not part of the R/C industry, but, part of
how man is.

For years, we built cars from scratch, then the kits came out. I thought it would stop there.

I thought people would not mind assembling a kit to achieve the knowledge and the pride to building a car and understanding how to tune the car.

Well, I was wrong. The Ready to Run /Ready to Race industry came out of know where.

Some people are lazy. IF they can't just squeeze the fuel into the little hole, or plug in some batteries, they don't want to do it.

I met a few guys that were amazed at the amount of fun we were having at Rescue Raceway East of Sacramento, Ca

These guys wanted to know how to get into doing what we were doing.

They asked of course the cost.

I explained the kit cost and items needed outside of the kits and what you needed to do with a kit. (OF course, the Kit cost were too high, they wanted a race kit for $100 and the race fees were to high. The wanted to pay like 2 bucks. (When were race fees 2 dollars)

Then I told them about ready to run. Boy. They loved the cost and lack of effort with the ready to run.

I told them sometimes you break things and I said you have to know how to fix it. They both looked at me and said "We will just take it back to the hobby store, complain and get our money back or get another one".

The R/C industry doesn't guide us, we as people with our ways guide it.
Someone came up with the bright idea to create ready to run.

I think Ready to run is stupid. (Lets clarify) Great for the Mfgs /Distributors and retailers who make tons of money from people who want to bash and race but don't want to do if full time. Over time, those people who want to race end up getting a better car / equipment spending more money when they could have gotten a better car to begin with. Now that you have gotten
a better car, you are still knowledge less about setup of engine or the car.
Again, good for the Retailer/ bad for the end users pocket book.

I like the old school way. Start with electric, learn it, race novice, learn how to turn marshall. Win a few, graduate to Sportsman. At this point, you can move on to modified/nitro/gas.

Unlike today, people don't want to turn marshall, and they wan to complain.

Nitro isn't for the beginner. There are many learning curves associated with it and people with ready to run get frustrated.
I just went and made a shopping cart at Amain for everything you would need to get started with an 1/8th scale nitro buggy. This is without included a charger, batteries, fuel, glow ignitor, fuel bottle, glow plugs etc. Just the car, engine pipe servos, and starter box. 1,359$. And that's without going to high end on anything except the steering servo.

I for one would have never of gotten into this hobby if I had to spend 1500$ to get into it. And I really don't think anyone I run with would have gotten into it for 1500$.

500$ was alot more resonable to get started. I have since upgraded almost everything. But there is no way I would have spent 1500$ on something I didn't know I would really enjoy. 500$ is much more reasonable.

I don't think RTR is about being "lazy", it's about getting people into racing. It doesn't matter if your buggy is RTR or not. Within the first month of having it, you will have took the entire thing apart to see how it works, change parts, and do maintnence, or you will have quit.

As far as I'm concerned, long live the RTR, cause 1500$ is alot to get started in a "hobby".

Your right about the Marshalling though. It drives me crazy when the race announcer has to ask for people to marshall. If I ran a track and someone missed their turn to marshal or didn't find someone to take their place, they would be done racing for the day with no refund.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bevofrancis
I just went and made a shopping cart at Amain for everything you would need to get started with an 1/8th scale nitro buggy. This is without included a charger, batteries, fuel, glow ignitor, fuel bottle, glow plugs etc. Just the car, engine pipe servos, and starter box. 1,359$. And that's without going to high end on anything except the steering servo.

I for one would have never of gotten into this hobby if I had to spend 1500$ to get into it. And I really don't think anyone I run with would have gotten into it for 1500$.

500$ was alot more resonable to get started. I have since upgraded almost everything. But there is no way I would have spent 1500$ on something I didn't know I would really enjoy. 500$ is much more reasonable.

I don't think RTR is about being "lazy", it's about getting people into racing. It doesn't matter if your buggy is RTR or not. Within the first month of having it, you will have took the entire thing apart to see how it works, change parts, and do maintnence, or you will have quit.

As far as I'm concerned, long live the RTR, cause 1500$ is alot to get started in a "hobby".

Your right about the Marshalling though. It drives me crazy when the race announcer has to ask for people to marshall. If I ran a track and someone missed their turn to marshal or didn't find someone to take their place, they would be done racing for the day with no refund.

Back in the day, you grabbed your car off the track, dropped off transponder, pulled battery and placed on charger, grabbed a sip of drink from your pit and back on the track to marshal in 5 min. You didn't marshal, you lost standings. That simple.You could trade marshal duties with another racer if your car was mangled, but you had to marshal HIS duties then.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I got into RC racing right after gas truck pretty much died...but it was all I had and I enjoyed learning to run it (I started with nitro, electric came later when the SC10 came out). It seems like most outdoor tracks are too big for them and like everyone else says, people like the high HP and 4wd. I enjoy nitro stuff, but there is no way in the world that I could afford to run 1/8 scales right now.

Luckily Bumps and Jumps (Etters, PA) has had a small group of hard-core guys running gas truck indoors during the winter, and despite entries in the 4 to 7 range, I love runnin' em. Last year we had a class at every points event, which could only be said for a few other classes (2wd buggy, Spec and Pro SCT, and 1/8 nitro buggy). A couple guys that race SCT at Pitstop mentioned that they had Losi Gas Trucks and I mentioned about running at B&J. They sounded like they really wanted to run them, so maybe we can get a full heat this year!

Oh yeah one other thing...I ran the entire points series and one special event (11 races) on the same rear tires (which are still good except for the foams) and a single gallon of fuel. 1/8 scales can't touch that!!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Talking My 2 centsS

STORYDUDE1 FOR PRESIDENT.

Dang, you almost made me cry..

I totally remember exactly, exactly that..

Man I totally hear you. and this is the way is should be.

One of the largest issues here is people don't want to turn marshal and they want to go home in a hurry. (My Mamas callin me, the sun is going down and I have to be home before then (Woops, My wife calls me and asks when you coming home when the sun is going down so I know. Left the house at 6:30am and didn't get home til 7:30pm. Normal race day.))

But, I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't have children and if I did, they would be racing with me anyway, so, what's the problem. I'd feed them.... Maybe??? Just kidding)

I don't know if you remember this.

A new person comes around and it's his or her first day. The announcer would tell everyone that that person was new and to help him or her out with whatever they needed. And everyone did. The announcer would also tell everyone to take that person out in the first turn. (Joking of course)

People were willing to help. Newbies didn't have to ask.

I remember when I first drove my XX4. I went to Hobby Warehouse now called Capital City Raceway in Sacramento, Ca.

I sat and watched to find out who I could pace in order to become a better driver. I have never been afraid to pick a car no matter who it was and try to follow them to learn a better driving style.

Well, here is what happened. I found another xx4 on the track. The car was Red and Yellow. Any of you older r/c drivers might recognize the colors and who the driver is from the colors and the location.

I tried to keep up and thought man this guy is fast. I was able to keep up for about 2 laps and noticed I was gaining on this person. (Mind you, I just started racing about 6 months prior, I was not fast guy (still not) by far))
We came to the fast straight coming off a hill. I had a hot Trinity Speed Gem 10 turn with about 10 degrees of timing on the motor. I had of course way too much motor for my driving skill but, I was holding on.

I thought I could catch that car. Full speed down the straight, I was gaining and I totally forgot about the sharp 90 degree left turn coming up.

He made the turn and I didn't. I turned the wheel, but, the car went straight.

Biggest RC 10th Scale explosion. Parts flying everywhere.

I hit the wall with such force, everyone in the track area stopped, people came out of the pit area and the hobby store because the heard this loud crash.

I should have just my head down and walked in to the hobby store and handed them my credit card and purchased a new car and kept the one I crashed for parts. It cost me over $150 to fix. Whole front end destroyed, broken chassis, belts, you name it, it was gone.

I asked the person after the accident and people laughing, (I was laughing too because what else could I do, It was actually really funny) How did you make that turn,

He said...... Practice, practice Practice. From that point on I learned that Matt Francis was a really cool guy and to this day is one of the last R/C Ambassadors in the industry.

He is a great guy to talk to and would help you if you were in a bind.
Several Losi team drivers were like that.

He asked if I needed help putting my mess back together.

People are not like that anymore, at least I have not seen it.

BEVOFRANCIS - There no need to fear, I have spent way more money than that

on RC. I spent 1700 on a hopped up Losi LST full aluminum, bling wheels, hopped up shocks, and a collar .32 engine/exhaust. This has happened one time. I drove it and in 5 minutes, I could not stand it. This was the only car i had this happen with. I sold it shortly after. that was about 4 years ago and I still have the engine (new) and the shocks left over.

several 8th scales. From about 1996 to now.

Mugen Super Athlete
Mugen MBX4
Mugen MBX5
Mugen MBX5T
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6T
Losi 8
Serpent 811.

That's a pretty good amount of change right there.

That doesn't include my 10th scale stuff

Not to mention all of the extra parts, starter boxes, tools.

It all adds up to a boat load of money.

Don't let me get started on this.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Talking long winded

Sorry. I can type fast, so I do tend to get a little long winded.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
I know 1/8th scale buggies and truggies are fun, but, what ever happen

to 2WD Nitro truck racing. Why did it die out??

Man, what a blast it was. Harder to drive, but, I think more competitive.
You read my mind! I had the exactly same discussion with friends this week and I wrote this small article...http://www.myrcbox.com/?p=4687

I miss gas trucks !
Old 09-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It's been almost 4 years since this thread, and there's still only 1/8th scale nitro buggy and truggy. Ever think there will be an entry level gas class again? Nitro SC didn't seem to gather any interest. Electric ST is all but dead anymore even though companies keep coming out with new trucks for it. So is hope for nitro growing all but lost????

I have a XXX-NT sitting here just wishing it could be raced once again...
Old 09-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

While 2wd buggy was probably my favorite, stadium truck was a close second (4wd buggy was my favorite but it has been hit and miss for 30 years). Open wheel racing is just great but I guess that is part of the problem. Add the the fact that you have to tune an engine and now you've just surpassed the amount of effort that many people were willing to put forth. Short course was just what these individuals needed/wanted and was the nail in the coffin for ST

That being said, Revelation in SoCal is trying to resurrect the class and I saw some people dusting off their gas trucks Tuesday night! Would be cool to see them pop up again.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Even short course wasn't enough to bring back a 2 wheel nitro class. SC10 Nitro is now discontinued. Traxxas still has the Nitro Slash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.