my homemade balancer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

my homemade balancer

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

i like the concept of your balancer looks like a success.

i tried ine similar but holding the hud and it did not work and it was a disaster so my dad came up with this idea. i would prefer to have the enjoyment of making one instead of buying one off the shelf, and i saved about £35 so it is win win!!

many thanks

lewis
Old 09-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah it spins nice and freely, in fact with just a slight push the wheel seemingly spins forever. I'm quite shocked at how well an old bearing works without any lubrication what-so-ever. Its also nice cuz i can attach it to the edge of my work bench where ever i need it as space on my bench is at a premium these days I'm kind of shocked how off balance some of the wheels were. I had buggy wheels that needed quite a bit of clay and truggy wheels which needed hardly any. Nice tool to have though, its just one more thing that will help me maintain better control over my rigs and get all the speed possible out of them.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
Its a nice balancer. As long as it does what you hoped it would do, i'd say its a success. One of the things i mulled over for about an hour was how to make it one sided, so the other end was not closed mainly just for easeness of use. I like the fact i can pull the rod out of the bearing slap a new wheel on and put it back within just a few seconds. My only gripe with my unit is the bearing tends to fall out when you pull the rod through when taking the wheel off. I tried all sorts of things to prevent the bearing from coming out but each time i was left with a bearing that wasn't as free as just having it sit in there without anything holding it in. I'm sure i could make some kind of shield if i wanted to, but for now it works great the way i have it.
Slide some rubber o-rings (smaller than the shaft) on either side of the bearings, they won't put any kind of bind on the bearing and it'll be easy enough remove when needed
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah i don't have any on hand so i'll need to grab some. Not in a big rush though, i have all my tires balanced now