Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My 5 year old Son wants to race?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default My 5 year old Son wants to race?

I just bought a used X2 CRT for my 5 year old and I'm now in the process of getting it all together. I'm new to the racing scene and I've just posted a WTB add for a motor and pipe. A bunch of guys have gotten back to me with motors but I'm not sure what is a good make and what is not. I'm obviously not looking for an all out race motor since he's so young and I would like to budget for around $100.00 for a motor and pipe. I think reliability and tunability are key at this point but correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you guys have any suggestions about which motor would be good given the situation?

How about an AE.28 pro with the stock pipe? Apparently it come from an SC8, would the exhaust work in a truggy?

Thanks guys,
Glen and Wyatt
Old 09-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

the AE pro .28 is an ok starter motor but will leave you wanting more soon. Plus it will only last you about 2 or 3 gallons. Becarefull buying used motors. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For just starting out, you are right, jusr get an engine that holds a tune well and is reliable.If you get something to fast in the beinning when you ar ejust learing it can actually make learning harder by having to focus to much on controlling the power and spinning out rather than driving and learning to get the car around the track. Later, after the skill builds up, then get a more powerful engine.

This will be a big debate as people have opinion and favorite brands of engines. But my advice is for a truggy and your son just starting out, Sure, a associated .28 with stock pipe will be fine. Or even a dynamite .21 or a n21r nova. just get what you can afford and let him concentrate on the driving. You got the right idea!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rcrenew
For just starting out, you are right, jusr get an engine that holds a tune well and is reliable.If you get something to fast in the beinning when you ar ejust learing it can actually make learning harder by having to focus to much on controlling the power and spinning out rather than driving and learning to get the car around the track. Later, after the skill builds up, then get a more powerful engine.

This will be a big debate as people have opinion and favorite brands of engines. But my advice is for a truggy and your son just starting out, Sure, a associated .28 with stock pipe will be fine. Or even a dynamite .21 or a n21r nova. just get what you can afford and let him concentrate on the driving. You got the right idea!
Why don't you hook him up with an engine? I'm sure you've got to have some spares laying around.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Buy this engine: http://www.houstonsengineservice.com...c93de4b5267216

With this pipe: (you'll use it again later on with other engines): http://www.houstonsengineservice.com...c93de4b5267216

With this header: http://www.houstonsengineservice.com...c93de4b5267216

Run any major brand of fuel. Byron's; Sidewinder; Odonnel; Losi Nitrotane; etc. etc.

Bryon's or Sidewinder are your top 2 choices.

I'd suggest running 20% nitro and 11-12% oil.

Get some McCoy MC8 glowplugs, or Odonnel plugs and have a nice day.

The Chad Bradley setup from the Jammin' website for the X2CRT....drop to 15k in the middle diff and run 3deg. or rear toe in; the rest is fine just pick your tires. Will work nearly anywhere with only minor adjustments.

Have fun!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

I wish I did..lol But actually I have no spares. Just cleaned off my shelves a couple moths ago.

Thanks,
Lance
Rcrenew.com
Old 09-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

This is only one persons opinion.....but I think if you give a 5 year old with no racing experience a 1/8th scale truck with any engine in it, he is gonna hurt someone. Don't get me wrong, getting him racing is great, however you should seriously consider a less aggressive class/vehicle. My son started young with a 2 wheel drive electric truck. I suggest looking into the SC class for him to start. It's economically priced and will teach him throttle control far better than a 4 wheel nitro truggy while being safer at the same time.
Good luck.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

for the price of an engine/pipe you can get a traxxas slash. IMHO the best thing for a 5 year old to race. he will have a class to race along with you racing nitro. and wont kill anyone...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

My 5yr old runs a 4x4 Slash and loves it.
He has had a couple of goes with my 8 yr olds MBX5T and frankly was scared of it.
Break him in easy and he will be champing at the bit for the truggy soon enough (makes him sound like a horse,sorry no offense meant)
Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t4ftracer
This is only one persons opinion.....but I think if you give a 5 year old with no racing experience a 1/8th scale truck with any engine in it, he is gonna hurt someone. Don't get me wrong, getting him racing is great, however you should seriously consider a less aggressive class/vehicle. My son started young with a 2 wheel drive electric truck. I suggest looking into the SC class for him to start. It's economically priced and will teach him throttle control far better than a 4 wheel nitro truggy while being safer at the same time.
Good luck.
+1 I started racing when I was 8 with a RC10T3 with a stock motor and I was a hazard for a while. I think that a heavy truggy can get out of his hands to quickly and cause a lot of damage/ injury especially if he has never driven before. Let him develop the motor skills with an electric SC truck before hitting 1/8.

I agree with the throttle control also. An electric sc will just spin tires with the heavy finger, a 1/8 truggy/buggy will wind up hooking up and turn to a rocket.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

+1 with the SC truck. You could even get him an electric buggy if he really wanted to go fast. The problem with nitro is its got a steep learning curve and little mistakes can be costly. Until hes got a good feel for rc's i'd keep him away from the nitros. Expecially at his age, my oldest daughter is 6 and is scared to death of my nitros. In fact the neighbor brought over his grandson who is 8 and he wouldn't let his grandfather put him on the ground, haha.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Rcrenew

i just broke in a novarossi n21r not the hot mod the sport 3 port actually has plenty of power not like a high dollar race motor its on ebay for 140 with shipping would be a good starter motor imo. and then u knoe the history of the motor cause u broke it in and now exactly how it was done and how much fuel is really on it u can always make a used motor look new.
look at rcrenew does a dam good job and can make it look near new havnt used his service but pics look great and u and rc renew have a pm
Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Prophet

i whould have to agree a 5 year old with a 1/8 scale and espically a truggy . a 2wd sc truck whould be perfect that will really teach him to drive although he might get mad from spinning out he would proberty like the 4wd slash better .
Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i whould have to agree a 5 year old with a 1/8 scale and espically a truggy . a 2wd sc truck whould be perfect that will really teach him to drive although he might get mad from spinning out he would proberty like the 4wd slash better .
u would be suprised a guys kid at the track is like 6 and he does a great job with a 2.0 buggy forget what motor think its alpha or werks
Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

All you have to do is set the throttle EPA to where he can only give it lets say 1/8 throttle and slowly give him more as he gets used to it. I see a lot of kids that catch on very quick. But limiting the throttle will solve the problem... I have let my kids run my stuff and that what I do.

Regards,
Lance
Rcrenew.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.