Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Air Compressor

I need to buy a small or portable air compressor to quickly and effectively clean my truggy after I run it. I'd like to be able to use it with an airbrush as well. I would also appreciate a quiet running unit, if one exists... something easy on the ears, you know?

So far I like the Dewalt D55141 b/c I "think" it captures my wishlist. http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053. I also like the Husky Trim Plus b/c it's only half the price of the Dewalt. http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053. The Husky doesn't provide the Dba, so I'm guessing it's louder than the Dewalt or most 2 gallon compressors. Anyway, if you have knowledge or experience, please offer some guidance. Also, feel free to post better portable or small compressors in the $250.00 or less price range.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I just bought one myself. I bought the porter cable pancake style one. It has more cfm than the dewalt one you linked, plus its only 179.00 at lowes.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
I just bought one myself. I bought the porter cable pancake style one. It has more cfm than the dewalt one you linked, plus its only 179.00 at lowes.
+1
Old 08-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Personaly I would stay away from the smaller compressors, I have a small twin tank comp and its a pita, it runs out of air much too quick,then you have to wait for it to charge back up.get a 5 gal one with the most cfm that you can get for your money. if you want to use an air brush get yourself a press reg/separator and you'll be ok
Old 08-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rotarynut
Personaly I would stay away from the smaller compressors, I have a small twin tank comp and its a pita, it runs out of air much too quick,then you have to wait for it to charge back up.get a 5 gal one with the most cfm that you can get for your money. if you want to use an air brush get yourself a press reg/separator and you'll be ok
+1. I've found for a compressor to clean off effectively you need 100+ psi. Those smaller tanks work for airbrushes, but @ 100psi in a steady stream you'll drop down in pressure too quickly and your compressor will constantly be running. I have a 6 gallon husky pancake compressor and it gets the job done. It's kind of loud, but you're outside running nitro trucks... its like people complaining about their gear gettin messy while playin in the dirt!

Compressors are great tools to have at the track, makes cleaning between heats quick and easy. Allowing you to easily check for broken, loose parts.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Porter cable Unit is great, we all have them around here. You do not want to get anything to big since is pulls allot of amps on start up which trips breakers. Anyway, Dewalt has a little bigger unit that I have used but its little too big to haul around.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have a craftsman 3 gal @ 120 psi. The cfm is great (can't remember the specs off top). The only downside is it is loud.

I have a tc60 small quiet air compressor for airbrushing. Having a 3 gal 120 psi is overkill for a brush that takes 20 psi to operate.

the craftsman is about 130 with tax. BUt you can order it online for cheaper i think.

also, if you are curious about quality and how much other people like them you can always look at consummer reviews on the internet.