Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
looking at geting a 1/8 nitro buggy, what do i need? >

looking at geting a 1/8 nitro buggy, what do i need?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

looking at geting a 1/8 nitro buggy, what do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

DO NOT BUY USED, unless you are very familiar with the product. Being a newbie I would tell you to buy everything brand spanking new. Dont come into this hobby thinking you will save by buying used. You WILL spend MORE money this way. This is an expensive hobby.

RTRs - Losi makes the best set on the market. You WILL need to buy new servos. Everything else is good.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
A race buggy
radio
starter box w/ stick packs 4600
pipe
engine
glowplugs 5 bucks each
servos
fuel
tires set glued up
Clutch/w springs never hurts to have an extra one
fuel line
pipe gaskets springs
After run oil Marvel Mystery oil 3 bucks quart...
Thread lock blue
extra screws....setscrews etc.....washers, shims... Just trust me...
clutch remover tool
flywheel puller, love that thing...
hex wrenches 1.5, 2.0, 2.5mm, and 5.5 nut driver.....
screwdrivers different sizes, tuning, head screws, chassis flat phillips
Paint, wheel bearing grease, shock, diff oil....
Denatured alcohol.....
Charger, charge leads, reciever battery ib 1600
Glow igniter
Blowdryer
xacto knife
needle nose pliers
wire cutters big small
channel locks for flywheel
temp gauge
stopwatch
drill bits
dremel
a mental health plan haha
patience
Coffee
soda
chips the tv show
Ipod
Office chair
Speakers
toothbrush
dental floss
bandaids
personal assistant
healthy relationship or not one
chinese food
extension cords
power strip
restroom
sink
dishsoap
towels
pillow
rags
cat dog
boxes
beef jerkey
shop paper towels
wd40
teflon spray
fans
A/C
Heater
Ice Chest
and that's it, not much stuff at all....
lmfao mental health plan hahaha shit was hilarious
Old 08-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
A race buggy
radio
starter box w/ stick packs 4600
pipe
engine
glowplugs 5 bucks each
servos
fuel
tires set glued up
Clutch/w springs never hurts to have an extra one
fuel line
pipe gaskets springs
After run oil Marvel Mystery oil 3 bucks quart...
Thread lock blue
extra screws....setscrews etc.....washers, shims... Just trust me...
clutch remover tool
flywheel puller, love that thing...
hex wrenches 1.5, 2.0, 2.5mm, and 5.5 nut driver.....
screwdrivers different sizes, tuning, head screws, chassis flat phillips
Paint, wheel bearing grease, shock, diff oil....
Denatured alcohol.....
Charger, charge leads, reciever battery ib 1600
Glow igniter
Blowdryer
xacto knife
needle nose pliers
wire cutters big small
channel locks for flywheel
temp gauge
stopwatch
drill bits
dremel
a mental health plan haha
patience
Coffee
soda
chips the tv show
Ipod
Office chair
Speakers
toothbrush
dental floss
bandaids
personal assistant
healthy relationship or not one
chinese food
extension cords
power strip
restroom
sink
dishsoap
towels
pillow
rags
cat dog
boxes
beef jerkey
shop paper towels
wd40
teflon spray
fans
A/C
Heater
Ice Chest
and that's it, not much stuff at all....
a mental health plan haha+5
chips the tv show+1
Ipod+1
toothbrush+1
dental floss+1
bandaids+1
personal assistant+9
healthy relationship or not one+5
cat dog
BEST LIST RIGHT HERE HES A GENIOUS!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It is expensive...I messed up and bought a rtr...RC8RS to be exact.
Didn't really do my research...mistake number 2.
I went with AE do to prior experience with their products 15 years ago when I used to race my RC10T2 at SoCal. I still love AE.
The RTR came with a .28..which is not ROAR legal..but great for bashing and learning how to break in/tune an engine...ended up buying a .21 GO PRO.
The start gun that came with the RTR was a joke plus doesn't work on race engines...I ended up buying a nice Ofna starter box. The servos went dead...bought decent Futaba ones to replace them...
Broke the front arms, steering rods, broke a shock, ended up buying the big bores and then the factory team/hop ups bug bit me...started switching parts little by little to FT parts....fuel $30...lasts me about 2 weeks going to the track 2 or 3 days a week. Tires $40-65...couple of new shells $55...
Tools, liquids, oils, filters, tool box, car stand, work mat/towel..
I've just been practicing at the local track, haven't raced yet, waiting for the track to finish prepping the track for their races. Bought a 2.4gz radio to replace the fm radio...not a necessity but it will save me the hassle of using x-tals once I start racing.
I'm in it over $2300 by now and this is just so that I can be race ready. At the end of the month the track will finally have its first race and hopefully I will be ready...

The RC8RS would have been great as a package if I was just backyard bashing and not taking it to the track.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by latnballer
It is expensive...I messed up and bought a rtr...RC8RS to be exact.
Didn't really do my research...mistake number 2.
I went with AE do to prior experience with their products 15 years ago when I used to race my RC10T2 at SoCal. I still love AE.
The RTR came with a .28..which is not ROAR legal..but great for bashing and learning how to break in/tune an engine...ended up buying a .21 GO PRO.
The start gun that came with the RTR was a joke plus doesn't work on race engines...I ended up buying a nice Ofna starter box. The servos went dead...bought decent Futaba ones to replace them...
Broke the front arms, steering rods, broke a shock, ended up buying the big bores and then the factory team/hop ups bug bit me...started switching parts little by little to FT parts....fuel $30...lasts me about 2 weeks going to the track 2 or 3 days a week. Tires $40-65...couple of new shells $55...
Tools, liquids, oils, filters, tool box, car stand, work mat/towel..
I've just been practicing at the local track, haven't raced yet, waiting for the track to finish prepping the track for their races. Bought a 2.4gz radio to replace the fm radio...not a necessity but it will save me the hassle of using x-tals once I start racing.
I'm in it over $2300 by now and this is just so that I can be race ready. At the end of the month the track will finally have its first race and hopefully I will be ready...

The RC8RS would have been great as a package if I was just backyard bashing and not taking it to the track.
exactly ur in over 2300 still stuck with the rtr when you could have went with the team kit that includes all the team stuff(im not to sure about ae including but some do) then servos took a crap(very normal on rtr's), engine was a good starter but not made for what it was put on and you bought the 2.4 ghz and etc. This is y i say no rtr because look you already bought a new engine, starter box, servos, radio(losi includes a good one with rtr) and upgraded almost everything thats usefull, to me its pointless after the money in upgrades and the money for the rtr you could have bought the rc8b which is way better from what i hear.

point is the rtr was basically pointless in the long run because you already had to get servos, engine, box, radio, and upgrades.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

RTR's are usually bad, but the losi ones are ok. I do not agree with the statement that buying used is bad.Just do your research, make sure there are good pics, and the seller has feedback. i have gotten most of my cars used, and have been happy with all of them. And the best part about used is you can get KILLER deals. Mainly being if you just want to get the car and not worry about upgrades, a lot of time you can find cars like that for less than the brand new stock car without upgrades. Plus for nitro, a lot of times you can get a car with an engine that's just broken in, which is a real pain for newbies. Just picked up a $1000 Savage flux MT for $575, and coldn't be happier. By the way, if you want I could hook you up with a complete MBX6 Buggy (Top of the line Racing buggy, up there with the best), with Hitec servos (Metal gear throttle, Titanium gear steering servo 7955 (Excellent servo), GRP .21 Tuned racing engine with pipe (2 gallons, just finished opening up completely after brake in) very good engine, receiver batteries and some extra parts.) Just fully rebuilt. all you need is a radio and starter box. The thing about biuying used stuff here on RCTECH is by checking members feedback, you can usually be 99.9% positive they are good sellers. Over 5 feedback is good, 10 even better. And Token can vouch for my cars being in tip top shape, they are practically scrubbed spotless after each qualifier! LOL...

Thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...os-extras.html

$500 with the everything and an extra Hitec 7955TG steering servo not in the thread. You won't be dissapointed...
Old 08-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Muggydude
RTR's are usually bad, but the losi ones are ok. I do not agree with the statement that buying used is bad.Just do your research, make sure there are good pics, and the seller has feedback. i have gotten most of my cars used, and have been happy with all of them. And the best part about used is you can get KILLER deals. Mainly being if you just want to get the car and not worry about upgrades, a lot of time you can find cars like that for less than the brand new stock car without upgrades. Plus for nitro, a lot of times you can get a car with an engine that's just broken in, which is a real pain for newbies. Just picked up a $1000 Savage flux MT for $575, and coldn't be happier. By the way, if you want I could hook you up with a complete MBX6 Buggy (Top of the line Racing buggy, up there with the best), with Hitec servos (Metal gear throttle, Titanium gear steering servo 7955 (Excellent servo), GRP .21 Tuned racing engine with pipe (2 gallons, just finished opening up completely after brake in) very good engine, receiver batteries and some extra parts.) Just fully rebuilt. all you need is a radio and starter box. The thing about biuying used stuff here on RCTECH is by checking members feedback, you can usually be 99.9% positive they are good sellers. Over 5 feedback is good, 10 even better. And Token can vouch for my cars being in tip top shape, they are practically scrubbed spotless after each qualifier! LOL...

Thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...os-extras.html

$500 with the everything and an extra Hitec 7955TG steering servo not in the thread. You won't be dissapointed...
i wouldnt say by number of sells matter i dont sell most of my stuff so i only have 2 feedback and the 2 sells ive done was a brand new scrt10, and a losi in great condition and both guys are in love with them so feedback doesnt mean much, look at my # of post since my join date is what i watch like mine is pretty high. Also losi rtr isnt bad but like alot of people after its done and over woth you end up buying new servos and better engine so its really useless spending 700 on a rtr just to keep the box and radio. Nive mbx6 btw is it the updated version?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

I'm pretty sure, but not $100% positive. But I mean, the more positive feedback, the more chance of a better seller. More feedback=more satisfied buyers, and less chance of scam or whatnot.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

I'm pretty sure, but not $100% positive. But I mean, the more positive feedback, the more chance of a better seller. More feedback=more satisfied buyers, and less chance of scam or whatnot.
yeah but not alot of people have stuff to sell 1 after another unless they dont like it lol i would look at post and pics before being way worried about feedback, basically talking to them by phone and communicating will make the buyer feel more comfotable.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

i am willing to dob whatever to make the buyer comfortable. Plus paypal is pretty safe too.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

i am willing to dob whatever to make the buyer comfortable. Plus paypal is pretty safe too.

+1ur a good guy.