Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to get? MBX6T or Losi 2.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What to get? MBX6T or Losi 2.0T?

I am going to switch to truggy class next year (2011) and although I would love to get XT8 I really want something that has local support and is common on my track.
The club and track I am with is only small and in truggy class there are only Losi and Mugen drivers.
I currently run XB8TQ buggy and recently had a starter box die on me which put me out of racing for the weekend (very annoying), so to avoid that I would like to get something that is common on my track.

So what is the better choice of truggy?
Which one is stronger?
Which one is easier to drive?
Which one has the best back up in so far as a website with drivers to answer questions and setup sheets available? (as the teamxray site is great for that)
It will only ever be used on 1 track, following is a video of it - so which Truggy would suit this track best?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJVTx...eature=related

I will be looking to sell off my complete current setup (I do have a second starter box so may keep that) but will be wanting new Tx/Rx and servo's

So come on guys give me your opinions and shopping lists.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I like the losi truggy and it is popular where i run(Louisiana). The only flaw i can find is it eats throttle servos i don't care what you do. That gets annoying. The problem is the center diff gets in the way of putting the carb perfectly 90 degrees to the servo horn. You can get the quick change center diff mount that lets the carb sit at 90 degrees but its 60 bucks.

If you go with the losi truggy get the aluminum diff inserts right off the bat and learn to shim it properly. An aluminum servo saver top is probably in order as well.

Some people can make the servos last but i'm on my second 9100s and its already acting twitchy. I'm going to put a 9100t in next and see if a torque servo will last longer at throttle. I've been racing it since March(probably about 10 times) and have pulled a shock eyelit out during practice, broke a shock standoff, and popped a tie rod end or 2. Other than that its a great truggy.

I can't speak for the mugen. I have only seen 1 or 2 around here. The buggy is popular tho.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Losi
Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

If you want quality stick with Xray or Mugen. Since you own an Xray, you would probably quite disappointed with how much faster the Losi wears and developes slop.

I'm seeing less Losi every time I race and more Mugen and Xrays. I run the XT8 myself and love it.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

I will say that losi parts quality isn't quite as good as Xray and Mugen, but if you want the best handling truggy on the market, go losi.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the input guys, keep it up.

Does the Losi develop a lot of slop?
The ones at the track are fast but when looking at them in the pits they do seem to have alot of free play in most parts.

Pickle, I would love XT8, as I really am impressed by the strength in my buggies.
Just find it hard that there is no back up or support local and no "spare" starter boxs or easy access to parts if required.
I also like to be in something different, now known locally as XRay Dave.

One of our racers is a Mugen agent and brings a full complement of parts to every meeting, and it is only around the corner if I require a part.

No local Losi agent but between all the guys using them there are plenty of parts available.

The XT8 is also an older car now (is it still competative) so would hate to buy something only to see a new model come out next month
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Each brand has it;s high and low points. I race with alot of Losi guy's and thier truggies due develop slop and the bearings in the rear need regular maitenance to keep up. The arms are about bullet proof. But when i look at setup and gettings things where I want them it seems hard to do with the slop that developes in the LOSI. Now I run the MBX6T which does not develope slop quickly but has been prone to weak front arms. The Mugen has a few more tuning option with the pillow ball suspension. No diff problems in the Mugen just make sure they are shimmed correctly. Both are solid platforms but to me the Mugen is better all around.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

Losi's are faster loose. "slop" is not really the correct term. They develop some play, but they're free and fast like that.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Not to start a fight, but I think it is funny the Losi and Associated guys say that the slop makes the cars better. Losi guys say that losi's are "Loose" and Associateds are "sloppy", then vise versa from the Associated people. None of my Losi's got "Loose" or "Sloppy". Take care of the car and ream the arms and the car will be bueno.

Mugen or Losi. Both are good, but I like Mugen.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing
Not to start a fight, but I think it is funny the Losi and Associated guys say that the slop makes the cars better. Losi guys say that losi's are "Loose" and Associateds are "sloppy", then vise versa from the Associated people. None of my Losi's got "Loose" or "Sloppy". Take care of the car and ream the arms and the car will be bueno.

Mugen or Losi. Both are good, but I like Mugen.
True but try tightening a losi up or running a brand new one. It'll handle like garbage until it "breaks in" for a gallon or two. They're much faster when broken in and a bit loose.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

LOSI!!!!!!!!!!!, BUT.....i would get the 1.0 not the 2.0!! i have the 1.0 and smoke the 2.0's at local track, takes too long for them to pit having to change the rear diff and adjust their servo saver.....lmao, or get the 2.0 and put all the important parts from a 1.0 on it
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
True but try tightening a losi up or running a brand new one. It'll handle like garbage until it "breaks in" for a gallon or two. They're much faster when broken in and a bit loose.
Thats why I ream the hinge pin holes, even sanded knuckles/c-hubs. Car never slopped or loosened up. It was free in the first place. It worked out nice.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inferno13
LOSI!!!!!!!!!!!, BUT.....i would get the 1.0 not the 2.0!! i have the 1.0 and smoke the 2.0's at local track, takes too long for them to pit having to change the rear diff and adjust their servo saver.....lmao, or get the 2.0 and put all the important parts from a 1.0 on it

Wow... LMAO
Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by inferno13
Funny but very WRONG!

I'll address the two issues you listed...

Servo saver. Running change has been made back to 1.0 style parts so you're set.

Rear diff. Shim it correctly and run it. No problems.

And LMAO at a 1.0 even thinking about keeping up with a properly setup 2.0 with equal drivers.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Losi 1.0 over 2.0 OK...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.