Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$900 kyosho?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

so what do you need to convert a tki to a tki 2 besides the threaded shocks i have heard the tki 2 has lower rear tower and shorter rear shocks so if get tki i need new rear tower and shock bodies or shock bodies and shafts what else
i am wanting to try one of these things but am not wanting to jump away from losi until i am sure i like something else so am needing to know what it is going to cast me to get a used one set up like a tki2 so can test it out to see if it fits my driving style before i make a 900 dollar plunge into a new one
Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you need the short rear shock tower and medium shocks and springs, the threaded shocks aren't really an upgrade as they are not velvet coated, the rear aluminum uprights, rear aluminum toe block (that most of us bought, any way), radio tray and wing aluminum mounts and a longer king pin??????, new body and air filter. But you are losing on all the original TKI hard coated pieces, so if you have an original TKI and upgrade to TKI2, you have a much better "SPEC" car, and lighter. My original TKI upgraded to TKI2 with JR 9100s and T, OS speed with 2050 mp pipe, 2700 nimh pack, airtronics m11x, ready to race with transponder and body, no rims/tires or fuel weights in at 2999 grams. My SE weights in at 3208 with the exact same equipment.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 02maxima18
Yup no CVD's, Front aluminum C-Hubs, Rear aluminum chassis brace etc. Everyone has there different opinion on which car is better in performance for the cost, or the actual cost. Most of you I bet have never driven the car for a period of time, I drove my TKI and the first race was at least 2-3 seconds faster per lap than my mbx6 after driving it for about 4 1/2 months every weekend. I broke a good amount at first not running the right upper pin spacer set up, not running hard parts, and I drove it like a mugen. MP9 with hard parts and Kyosho aluminum hop ups, will make it close to bullet proof, I haven't broken a front end part in 11 races, a rear end part in 10, a rear hub broke but didn't take me out of a race, now I have the aluminum hubs coming, solves that problem. Now I'm getting quicker and quicker, mbx6 never got any faster. I race my buggy every weekend, club or bigger race. I have a TKI2 on back order, Kyosho America has a BIGGG order coming the 19th with TKI2's Kit version, and MP9 SE "standard" versions, place your backorders now, or you won't be getting the tki2 till mid September or later. I hope that D8 passing me has a fresh rebuild on the plastics or it won't be there for long....

Andy
thats what im talkin bout.. i race every weekend at my local track where everbodys running weak losi or AE'S which always seem 2 have problems. everybodys amazed that i dont break my ancient mp777wc when i take a hard crash! i say the same thing kyosho is bulletproof wit all the K parts.. been racing for just 2 years with st rr truggy & mp777 & i will never drive anything else.. kyosho price may be high, but i was also always told that u get what u pay 4...
Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The medium shocks use the same springs as the "L" large shocks, most new packaging says M&L, older packages before the M size will only say Large because the M weren't out yet.

Good stock set up is Jared Tebos Wiregrass 09' www.infernosonly.com

Ya the SE is a little heavier with all the steel balls & turnbuckles, non-lightweight outdrives, etc, the buggy is still dialed, it's still a MP9!!

Andy
Old 10-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

After 2 full seasons of racing, I just did a rebuild on my TKI, keep in mind the car was all original but the bulkheads and front upper arms as they were upgraded right away to the c version. In two years I collected a lot of new spares...
Bearings, all got replaced, because I had a new full set, but the originals were cleaned and still in good shape.
shocks, all new as the velvet coating was worn-out inside, in my box as spares.
all arms got replaced with new ones as they were pretty worn-out
Bulkheads got replaced, old ones as spares.
Chassi, same as I use skid plates

to the point ..this car is worth every penny. I was amazed in the condition of the car after a full teardown nothing really needed replacement, but I had the spares and it is nice to look at a car with all new plastic. You do get what you pay for $800.00 2 years ago and still going strong and ready for 2 more seasons.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if kyosho sold the car for 600 they would sell 10 times as many.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

You can buy the SE for $579. I still believe the MP9 is the best buggy out, at least for my driving style. I can run the same set up at any track and still be fast and easy to drive.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alan D.
You can buy the SE for $579. I still believe the MP9 is the best buggy out, at least for my driving style. I can run the same set up at any track and still be fast and easy to drive.
Right on, the difference between, the SE to the TKI is the TKI as all the hard coat aluminum pieces, and the TKI2 is a blinged up SE. but they are all mp9's and really the same car. you get to chose between $580.00 for a race kit SE $799.00 for the lightened TKI or $899.00 for the blinged up TKI2, but in the end they are all the same car.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

After travelling 700 kilometres from home with my trusty RC8 for a major event I broke the car and could not obtain the part required.

Thank fully a mate had his old MP9 TKI which is well over 12 months old and raced with often. [till he got his TKI2]
I borrowed his old MP9. From the first tank I was sold. The car is awesome...

Currently on my work bench is the MP9 ready for a clean up and to be used this weekend. The RC8 is sitting wherever I put it last.

Thankfully I can use the MP9 till I buy my own.

I have a RC8 [pretty much a B upgraded car] and a heap of spares going cheap if anyones them..

If your sitting there thinking do I spend the little extra and buy the MP9 then do so... You wont regret it.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

I can see a new to the hobby or someone not used to wrench and setup there cars to build an MP9 and be frustrated with it. as the car is very setup responsive and IS THE MOST SETUP VERSATILE car on the market, you name it and it can be tuned. This can be an issue as some times more, can be a lot less, and this car demonstrates that very well.
I STILL LOVE MINE, original TKI (2 seasons old) all original (but bulkheads), including bearings. just did a full rebuild with boca ceramic kit, all new hard aluminum (no chassi) and new OLD VELVET coated shocks, could not care for the threaded ones as they are inferior. and all the stuff that the new TKI2 has, I already upgraded except shocks (I like the original TKI ones), receiver tray aluminum posts, wing aluminum posts, aluminum rear uprights, no body (I like the convectional buggy bodies).
Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

let me apply my 2 cents here... the title of this thread just makes me laugh a little because it immediately and almost subliminally prescribes the idea some guy is sitting in a back room somewhere dreaming up the price of the car

Let me just tell you, a car is manufactured, there is a standard formula for the manufacturer, distributor, and retailer, and that SETS the price. It's not a random amount, it costs more because it is more expensive to make. No other car offers what the TKI2 does. Billet machined hubs front AND rear, billet machined aluminum suspension holders all the way around, super high quality 7075 aluminum manufactured in Japan (which I think is the ONLY RC car to use such material in the chassis?), the best bearings available and super high quality drive train. Nothing compares. I know this sounds like an infomercial, but it's true.

Kyosho does not rest. This car is a culmination of all they have learned over the past 2 years and evolved the parts and such to make the car better going into the 2010 Worlds, as well as adding the threaded shocks that people seem to like so much. On top of all that, the whole thing is manufactured in Tokyo and the Spec A is assembled there too.

flame suit on
Old 10-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

pitpop can you read my thread in the
the official inferno mp9 thread and try to answer for me thanks or anyone else who knows and as far as expensive goes it it at the top but i have run one just one race weekend and am very impressed with the car i think i will stick with it for a while i need to change my universals getting worn all the way around and wondering if i should get the cvds instead of the uni. are the cvds lighter if not will stick with the universals as i have heard they last alot longer
Old 10-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Awesome looking car....

Originally Posted by pitpop
let me apply my 2 cents here... the title of this thread just makes me laugh a little because it immediately and almost subliminally prescribes the idea some guy is sitting in a back room somewhere dreaming up the price of the car

Let me just tell you, a car is manufactured, there is a standard formula for the manufacturer, distributor, and retailer, and that SETS the price. It's not a random amount, it costs more because it is more expensive to make. No other car offers what the TKI2 does. Billet machined hubs front AND rear, billet machined aluminum suspension holders all the way around, super high quality 7075 aluminum manufactured in Japan (which I think is the ONLY RC car to use such material in the chassis?), the best bearings available and super high quality drive train. Nothing compares. I know this sounds like an infomercial, but it's true.

Kyosho does not rest. This car is a culmination of all they have learned over the past 2 years and evolved the parts and such to make the car better going into the 2010 Worlds, as well as adding the threaded shocks that people seem to like so much. On top of all that, the whole thing is manufactured in Tokyo and the Spec A is assembled there too.

flame suit on
I think the new car with the lowered body and all the cool parts looks awesome.

It looks like it has really plush travel on the suspension. I bet it flies through the rough stuff.....

The truth... It a pimp ride, and worth the money....

The Kyosho buggies have always been expensive, and have always been worth it. For a long time....

Sure there are other buggies that are great, but that doesn't take away from the reputation that Kanai earned...

The first buggy that Kanai desgned was the Inferno MP7.5, and went out and won the worlds driving his own creation. That's pretty sick stuff, and not at all common.

The winning streak came to a few roadblocks along the way from Mugen over the years, and in the last 5 years the competition has been fierce between mostly the drivers ability and not the car, however, Kyosho continues to make a smooth precision ride. The sweep of the Nats pretty much quiets anyone who says that Kyosho doesn't win big races, and with a fairly old truggy design in that class which makes the truggy and a buggy that would be cheap to maintain thanks to ebay.

You could just get the stock kit,and get a few extra parts you just have to get. Like the sweet body and extra bits and pieces, and there you go, rock on...

and if you just can't stand it, you know what I mean, get the fresh pimp ride for about the same price it's been forever, 900 ameros....

So
Old 10-13-2010, 04:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Last edited by mgtmadness2007; 10-13-2010 at 04:14 AM. Reason: wrong topic.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jewn_beef
pitpop can you read my thread in the
the official inferno mp9 thread and try to answer for me thanks or anyone else who knows and as far as expensive goes it it at the top but i have run one just one race weekend and am very impressed with the car i think i will stick with it for a while i need to change my universals getting worn all the way around and wondering if i should get the cvds instead of the uni. are the cvds lighter if not will stick with the universals as i have heard they last alot longer
I like the universals, they last FOREVER, 2 seasons on my originals, they are well worn but still good as emergency spares. CVD's wear out way too fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.