Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temp Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default Temp Question

I know it sounds stupid, but how do I lower the engine temp. I am running 20% 18% oil. Then i was told to go to a lower oil %. I am now running 20% 12% oil. Temps were still in the 250 range with the body off. Went to a colder plug, temps are now 235 ish with the body. Now with the colder plug the truggy cools off quick. I mean if I give it a 8 count to rap it to see how the low end is set. I have to warm it up again. It was broke in with the heat cycle at 200. Any help would be great. just don't know what to do.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

richen it up one hour on top
Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

there is no such thing as a stupid question to a certain but we all have to learn. To make it run cooler you turn either the high speed needle or lower speed needle counter clockwise that will make it richer. If you turn it clockwise you will be leaner and run hotter. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nitro % does effect temp but it can all be controled by the HSN/LSN settings, definitelt richen it an hour and see the effect and if the motor heats up while at idle your probably too lean on low side. Good luck
Old 07-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by killerkustoms
Nitro % does effect temp but it can all be controled by the HSN/LSN settings, definitelt richen it an hour and see the effect and if the motor heats up while at idle your probably too lean on low side. Good luck
he didnt change nitro percentage, he changed oil.

btw jet, do not tune my temps. 250 is fine on an engine, as long as its smoking good and not lean bogging your fine
Old 07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Temp Temp Temp.

In answer to your question....making the fuel mixture richer will reduce engine temps. Cold plugs and rich low speed mixtures don't idle well.

TUNE THE ENGINE SO IT RUNS WELL.
Then put your temp gun on the ground...............and jump up and down on it.
Not really..............but a proper tune is a proper tune.
What I mean is once an engine is tuned well........that temp is the correct one. There are way too many variables to always try to reach a specific temp. It may run at 230 today, and 250 tomorrow. (when tuned for each day's conditions)

Read the tuning bible at the top of this forum section. Tune your engine so it runs well and still has a visible smoke trail. Then temp the engine. The reading you get should be considered an approximate temp to help guide your tuning.

My race engines run at about 260 when tuned well. But this all depends on air temps, humidity, track surface, tires, gearing, blah blah blah. I've had them run as cool as 210 and as hot as 290, all while tuned well.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motomatt
Temp Temp Temp.

TUNE THE ENGINE SO IT RUNS WELL.
Then put your temp gun on the ground...............and jump up and down on it.
Not really..............but a proper tune is a proper tune.
What I mean is once an engine is tuned well........that temp is the correct one. There are way too many variables to always try to reach a specific temp. It may run at 230 today, and 250 tomorrow. (when tuned for each day's conditions)

Read the tuning bible at the top of this forum section. Tune your engine so it runs well and still has a visible smoke trail. Then temp the engine. The reading you get should be considered an approximate temp to help guide your tuning.
i think i got this thru my dads head last weekend. I tun mine and his engines. His was running great but came in at 250. he richened it and had problems after that(long story), i had to retune it. i hope he starts listening lol
Old 07-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

High oil % fuel will run higher temps

I've never tuned by temps good smoke and read the glow plug. Todays fuels are mostly syn oil which don't burn off like castrol oil does. Or gum the engine up like they did before after leaving fuel in the engine the castrol oil is what made them gum up.

I've so many temp it lean it alittle make couple of laps. Temp it again enrich it run another couple laps lean. They keep going back and forth there the ones that fiddle **** the needles and complain it won't hold a temp.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trust me I got for tune before temps. But just thought 250 with no body on it was hot. The reason I went to a colder plug is that I had my first race a few weeks ago. And long story short my truggy will almost go 4 min on a tank. Cause its so rich. So I leaned it and it got hot quick. Then I was told about the colder plug. Maybe I will just go back to the stock plug. At least when I let it idle for a few I can punch it and it will go not sit there and bog down. Cause the engine got colder that the plug thought it should be. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Umm....If you are running 250+ and only getting 4 minutes, something is seriously wrong. What motor/pipe/fuel are you running? Your best bet is to start over with the tuning process. Set the needles back to stock (usually around flush) and just slowly start leaning it out one hour at a time.

Don't tune by temp, it never works, but don't completely forget about it. If you are constantly running your motors in the upper 200's they won't last long regardless of how much smoke it is blowing.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Losi .28, JP3, 20%. I am no expert but my guess is that I was to rich. Stock settings are 2 1/2 on both high and low. I was around 3 3/4. Temps were about 225 then. And it loved it, but no run time, well not a heats worth. Then I started to lean, and this is where i am at. I have always had a ton of smoke putting or on the throttle almost wide open. Now I have reduced the throw of the carb. opening to about 70%.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Ok, well I really don't know much about that motor. As for your throttle throw, there is a fine line to getting maximum throw and just wasting fuel. To set it correctly, take off your air filter and look down into the carburetor. With the motor not running, adjust your throttle travel so that it opens just all the way. On my 1/8 buggy, I think my throttle travel is at 44% or something.

If I were you, I would just go back to factory settings and slowly lean it out. Hopefully someone with experience with that motor can get you pointed in the right direction.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jettaturbogls
I know it sounds stupid, but how do I lower the engine temp. I am running 20% 18% oil. Then i was told to go to a lower oil %. I am now running 20% 12% oil. Temps were still in the 250 range with the body off. Went to a colder plug, temps are now 235 ish with the body. Now with the colder plug the truggy cools off quick. I mean if I give it a 8 count to rap it to see how the low end is set. I have to warm it up again. It was broke in with the heat cycle at 200. Any help would be great. just don't know what to do.

what engine are we talking about?

Alpha engines run at atleast 260+ most run at 280.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

yup, tune the engine till it performs optimally (nice low idle, no bog, crisp throttle all way through).

Forget temps.

Once I learnt that, I sold off my DX3S Cheers.

If it helps, I use O'donnel 77T and OS P3 plugs as benchmarks
Old 07-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry losi 454. Its comes in the RTR 2.0 truggy LOSR2201. I did look into the carb. it was opening all of the way, so I decreased it a little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.