Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A Main says 99 is a cold plug....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ld-Glow-Plug-1

so whos right and whos wrong??

this ebay listing says medium/cold as you can tell in the pic

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dynamite-ODonnel...item58887d2bd2

another that says medium/cold

http://cgi.ebay.com/ODonnell-ODO99-9...item4aa2dd414a

the OD99 plug I had was the one that the pack looks exactly like the one from A main linked above
Old 07-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Old 07-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
what all should I take apart to clean the engine? and by cleaning you mean dis-assembling and spraying out?

and oiling it, with what oil?
You could simply remove the air filter, the header, clutch bearings, and the head and head button, and the back plate if you really want to get it clean, but you don't have to remove the back plate. I use marvel mystery oil. It's like 3 bucks for a quart. I put it in a little needle oil bottle, and have plenty of refills...It works good for starting new engines, and after run oil and assembly oil...
It burns so it will help the engine start unlike some other assembly oils....Sometimes engines are cranky when they have been setting for a while, cleaning them works wonders. Puts a clean coat of oil on the parts and it should fire right up.....If not then you know it's something else, and probably not the engine...

and yes the 99 is a medium cold plug, a cold plug has a thicker wire, element....It should work fine, but I do like the mc-8 in nova engines....
Old 07-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

ok I took it apart, (carb, pulled HSN out, cleaned and sprayed, took back plate off, and head and head button and sprayed the entire motor down. Put it all back together and still nothing.

Also, I did forget to mention, last time I raced (two weeks ago) on my VERY last lap of the main it shut off for no reason. Took it to my pits and had a hard time starting back. So I put a new plug in and managed to start it and drive it up the parking lot and back. So I figured then it was the plug. So I havent drove it since and today it started right up at first, revved a few times, then made 1/2 lap and shut off, then I caouldn''t get it to start. When I was able to get it to start, it was only b/c I held my glo igniter on the plug and as soon as I let off the igniter it dies. Note: the plug from the get go was new, then today I tried another new plug and still nothing.

Is this a plug problem?
Old 07-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

OD 99 or MC8 is the ONLY plugs i would run in them! thats the only plugs that worked in the BFs ive had, mod and stock. and you have my stock one, so stay with the 99!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Well then

It might be your clutch hanging up, or something else. Check your car over really good. Air filter, tank, tubing, clutch, drivetrain, brakes, etc.....

It's prob not your glowplug....
Old 07-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by merdith6
It might be your clutch hanging up, or something else. Check your car over really good. Air filter, tank, tubing, clutch, drivetrain, brakes, etc.....

It's prob not your glowplug....
+1
Old 07-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

well, my clutch pads did look pretty wore down and bad. Is there any way to test this to see if thats my problem?

I know I am going to get some more clutch shoes, but is there a way to tell before I get them in the mail?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you getting fuel to the carb ? Also if your clutch is bad the engine will prob. run with the wheels off the ground but stall when you hit the brakes or put car on the ground , but usually when it runs with the igniter on & stalls when you take it off i have put a plug in & it runs good . Personally i like the mc-8 plugs in the bf .
Old 07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

yes, getting fuel to the carb.

I was wondering why the clutch would have anything to do with the motor running on the starter box. looks like that would only effect when trying to run on the ground
Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

The Odonnell 99T is medium/cold. I would trust the MFG. Odonnell purple is medium and compares to MC8 and 59. I've always done well with the Nova Rossi number 6 standard plug. It's in my P5 now.

I would go back to factory settings on the carb and go from there. New clutch shoes/springs and such. There are a few possibilities as listed.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
yes, getting fuel to the carb.

I was wondering why the clutch would have anything to do with the motor running on the starter box. looks like that would only effect when trying to run on the ground
bc if the clutch spring are bad they are engaged easily. my dad (romax)had a problem starting and it was as simple as a clutch bearing that was bad and changed and didnt have a problem.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
The Odonnell 99T is medium/cold. I would trust the MFG. Odonnell purple is medium and compares to MC8 and 59. I've always done well with the Nova Rossi number 6 standard plug. It's in my P5 now.

I would go back to factory settings on the carb and go from there. New clutch shoes/springs and such. There are a few possibilities as listed.
do u know what the factory settings are? or what you personally think?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
bc if the clutch spring are bad they are engaged easily. my dad (romax)had a problem starting and it was as simple as a clutch bearing that was bad and changed and didnt have a problem.
It will still run on the starter box but the wheels will turn & when you stop the wheels it will stall the engine . I know this sounds crazy but have you tried another plug . I have had defective brand new plugs.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ited-help.html

From Houston
1 3/4 to 2 1/4 turns out with .75-1mm idle gap on lsn needle and 3.5-4 turns out on hsn for base race tune .

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...h-e-s-230.html

Ask there to be sure. Monty is very good about helping with factory settings and maybe helping you figure this out. There are multiple topics on this engine on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.