Search

AKA I-Beams problem....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default AKA I-Beams problem....

Hey guys,
I bought a set of 4 premounted AKA I-Beams for my RC8T about a month ago from my local hobby shop. Tried them out at our local club race and they were pretty sweet, and then used them last weekend and again they did not let me down, ended up getting first in the BMain.
Today I finally got to takin it apart and looked over my tires and 2 of them were stripped on the inside of the wheel. Right on the hex. Not sure what to do. These tires are awesome and still practically brand new since I have only used them twice and only on the track. What to do...what to do. Help!
Thanks
pistolpete1982
Old 07-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

well, the wheels stripped out because you either didnt put them on correctly, or didnt tighten down the wheel hex all the wya... happens to the best of us.

What to do now?

Take a container, fill the bottom with acetone. Sispend the wheels above the acetone using plastic spray can caps, and just let them sit in there for a day or so. They should just be able to be pulled off the wheels then, and glue em up on a new set.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

What i do is put wheels on a old cookie sheet set the oven at 350 degrees and bake for 15 min. Take them out and the tire just pulls of the rim only bad thing is it smells for about 10min like burning rubber but just open a window for awhile. This trick always works good for me.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

I like the baking way...use gloves and make sure your wife/mom won't be home for a few hours.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Team_Orange
What i do is put wheels on a old cookie sheet set the oven at 350 degrees and bake for 15 min. Take them out and the tire just pulls of the rim only bad thing is it smells for about 10min like burning rubber but just open a window for awhile. This trick always works good for me.
Have you done that with AKA's though???

I tried that and the foam turned into a giant blob that stretched the tire out then escaped the oven and attacked Manhattan.

Use a Heatgun to get your tires off. Youtube has vids.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

You cannot bake AKA pre mounts. The foam expands and will stretch the tire. It will make them unusabl

Just speaking from experience
Old 07-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I soak my AKAs in acetone for 24hours, the foams dry out and seem fine...
Old 07-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You could use a sharp exacto blade and carefully cut the bead back from the wheel. Would take forever, but if you can't do the acetone and baking seems to be out of the question, you might be left with that as a last option. Done it a couple of times and does work. I think there is a vid of Hara doing that to some buggy tires to swap foams. I would think the same process could get the job done. Sucks stripping out a wheel or two, even more so when it's a set that works for you.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

......or you can always call aka they might be able to replace them for you i ve read that they are pretty awesome with replacing tires and rims ,you really have nothing to loose call them .
Old 07-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

If it's clearly NOT a defect or warranty issue, why would you recommend that he call and see if he can get them replaced? That's just irresponsible.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
You could use a sharp exacto blade and carefully cut the bead back from the wheel. Would take forever, but if you can't do the acetone and baking seems to be out of the question, you might be left with that as a last option. Done it a couple of times and does work. I think there is a vid of Hara doing that to some buggy tires to swap foams. I would think the same process could get the job done. Sucks stripping out a wheel or two, even more so when it's a set that works for you.
Use a sharp exacto knife and you can do all 4 wheels in under an hour. Just be careful...
Old 07-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Throw them out and buy a new set.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team_Orange
Originally Posted by jonski
I like the baking way...use gloves and make sure your wife/mom won't be home for a few hours.
Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Have you done that with AKA's though???

I tried that and the foam turned into a giant blob that stretched the tire out then escaped the oven and attacked Manhattan.

Use a Heatgun to get your tires off. Youtube has vids.

Baking aka's is a NO NO....also baking wheels off never actually removes the glue off the tire itself rather turns it into a Rock hard bead that must be dealt with before re-mounting....Acetone and the glue bead just Melts away until your left with a Essentially Brand new unmounted tire Clean of old glue.

Originally Posted by fallguy
I soak my AKAs in acetone for 24hours, the foams dry out and seem fine...

X2...Imo this is the easiest way and most effective.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

Acetone works best. JMO
Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Go grab a new set and this time remember to crank it down, make sure the wheels is on the hub first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.