JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeah AKA foams dont do ovens well. Funny though after they cool down
they shrivel up like a raisin.

I would try and pop the rear bead loose with a heat gun and remove the
foams first before an acetone soak.

No guarantee on how the tire is going to react though, I'm sure Nick
has done it before or he would not recomend it.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I WOULD CONTACT AKA BECAUSE THEY ARE PROBABLY THE OLD PLASTIC RIMS THEY CAME OUT WITH A NEW PLASTIC AND THEY MIGHT SEND YOU A NEW SET. I KNOW ALOT OF RACERS HAD PROBLEMS BREAKING RIMS AND THEY SENT NEW ONES. GIVE IT A TRY WON'T HURT
Old 07-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by billyrc
I WOULD CONTACT AKA BECAUSE THEY ARE PROBABLY THE OLD PLASTIC RIMS THEY CAME OUT WITH A NEW PLASTIC AND THEY MIGHT SEND YOU A NEW SET. I KNOW ALOT OF RACERS HAD PROBLEMS BREAKING RIMS AND THEY SENT NEW ONES. GIVE IT A TRY WON'T HURT
Breaking and stripping the hex out is two different things. stripping the hex is because of one thing - USER.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Champion

How could the user strip a wheel hex?

If my wheel nuts get loose my wheel falls of quickly. And I think I could see that the wheel wasn't on all the way when I started torqueing the nuts even if I was stone drunk. Someone would really have to be not payiong attention.

Give AKA a call if your sure you mounted them properly. They did have a bad bunch of wheels a while ago, maybe there is a marking on the wheel they can identify the bad ones by.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

Just buy some more!!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

Gorilla tighening the nut while holding the tire is a sure and easy way to strip a hex........... been there done that..........no need to gorilla tighten the nut. get the nuts with the serrations/teeth on the inside and snug them good..... NO GORILLA TIGHTENING........
Old 07-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Tech Initiate

You can also use a cut-off wheel in the dremel to score a bunch of lines in the back of the hex nut. Like the hours on a clock and they won't come off. I do this to all my cars and haven't had a wheel come loose in years. Cheap and easy insurance that will take you about 5 min.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Just a little off topic, but I'm REALLY glad to hear that others have had no luck baking AKA tires....I had the same issue with the foams going from giant blobs down to shriveled raisins. I thought it was something that I was doing wrong.

I haven't tried the acetone method yet, but I've got an old set of JC Crosshairs that are about toast...I may try baking and acetone on those to see what works best.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

What has worked for me in the past is boil them in a pot of water when there soft peel them off and let the foams dry out. good luck.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ya I don't remember what brand but my rim stripped when I went to tighten it down but the pin was sticking just a little bit I cranked it down and halfway through practice fling goes my tire and half my wheel hex, you think it's tight cuz it tightens up solid and your rushing but nope.

Andy
Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Just use the aka wheel nuts. I have a hard time taking them off with the wrench sometimes. And buy some new rims.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
How could the user strip a wheel hex?

If my wheel nuts get loose my wheel falls of quickly. And I think I could see that the wheel wasn't on all the way when I started torqueing the nuts even if I was stone drunk. Someone would really have to be not payiong attention.

Give AKA a call if your sure you mounted them properly. They did have a bad bunch of wheels a while ago, maybe there is a marking on the wheel they can identify the bad ones by.
Its all USER error. I have been on the end of not tightening my wheels and guess what, the hex stripped. I know AKA claims to had a bad batch, but I have been using AKA since they first start shipping time and NEVER had a issue. Yeah I have some cracked wheels, but I got proline wheels that are cracked too and JC wheels.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

I have stripped some AKA wheels now and I see a problem with the inside where the wheel is thinner often beeing cracked. Any one else that have seen this?