Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Clutch problem

I have having troubles with my clutch on my Mach 427, I replaced the shoes and put a new clutch bell on and then ran it for about 6 tanks. Now all of a sudden the bell won't spin freely. I have tried shimming it, replaced the bearings and still can't get it to spin. The shoes and clutch aren't touching and I am at a loss as to what is locking it up, it spins freely until I tighten the screw down holding the c/b.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you need to shim it out a little
Old 05-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Uhgg
I have having troubles with my clutch on my Mach 427, I replaced the shoes and put a new clutch bell on and then ran it for about 6 tanks. Now all of a sudden the bell won't spin freely. I have tried shimming it, replaced the bearings and still can't get it to spin. The shoes and clutch aren't touching and I am at a loss as to what is locking it up, it spins freely until I tighten the screw down holding the c/b.

Thanks!
if it spins freely before you screw the cb down you have to many shims in. take some out.if it still binding then are you using a washer or shim before you put the flywheel nut on? if so take that out too.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Uhgg

Thanks!
Sounds like whatever your using as shims are putting pressure on the outer bearing when you tighten the screw.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlelane
you need to shim it out a little
that will add to the binding. i would say that if its binding before he tightened the bell down
Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I had the same problem with my 427 it turned out to be the flywheel pins where the shoes sit were hitting on the clutch bell when tightened, shunning it should fix the problem though.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

I don't remember putting a washer behind the nut, the pins don't stick up through the shoes. Is the shaft supposed to come all the way or almost flush with the outer bearing in the c/b? There is close to a 1/16 of an inch gap from the end of the shaft to the outside edge of the bearing. Could this be causing the binding? If so any suggestions as to how to correct it?

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Initiate

I had the same problem with my Losi you need to get crank extender shims i believe ofna makes them they are the same diameter as your crank the go inside the front bearing and build up the crank so you can have more play on the bearings.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Kit-3x49x03mm
Old 05-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Figured it out. I took it all apart and found out that the clutch nut had backed out just enough to through everything out of wack. Tightened it up and all is well. Thanks for all the help.