Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how do I fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
so being that the gears are fine. this is what all I will need for a rebuild of the entire buggy:

(1) seal set
(6) 8x14x4 flanged bearings
(1) alum gearbox bearing inserts

couple more questions:

will I need outdrive cups?
you said a bulkhead, do you mean the gearbox? will I really need that?

and what fluid do I use? and im kinda confused on this, somebody said in another post that the 1.0 uses grease, not fluid. which is it and what do I need to get?
I would strongly recommend the gearbox... you should not need the cups unless they really look bad.

here is the link to losi. this has all the manuals and setup sheets for the buggy.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Support...rodID=LOSK0800
Old 05-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hmmm, I wonder something. Here I found a gear box set for the rear, it says 2.0 buggy/truggy, but it says it also replaces the original (losa4428) gear box. BUT, this set comes WITH the bearing inserts you guys were talking about. Would the ones in this set be plastic or would they be the aluminum ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOSI-LOSA4450-RE...item5ad8abb31a
Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

hmmm, I wonder something. Here I found a gear box set for the rear, it says 2.0 buggy/truggy, but it says it also replaces the original (losa4428) gear box. BUT, this set comes WITH the bearing inserts you guys were talking about. Would the ones in this set be plastic or would they be the aluminum ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOSI-LOSA4450-RE...item5ad8abb31a
they are the plastic ones for the 2.0.... all alum parts are sold separate
Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

ok. thanks. I gotta get this stuff ordered so I can do my rebuild.

As far as just normal wear, how can you tell when your diff bearings are worn out? as well as center diff bearings? Or once a couple go out, just replace all?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

As far as just normal wear, how can you tell when your diff bearings are worn out? as well as center diff bearings? Or once a couple go out, just replace all?
You can find out the hard way like i did last weekend. The rear diff bearings lock up and the friction from the drive shaft melted the housing. I lost power to the rear diff and only had power to the front.

To check a bearing its best to take them out and rotate them with your fingers. At the same time you looking for any spots that are not smooth. If it feels like its catching on a spot then replace it.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Tear it down and check each bearing by hand, if they are not smooth, replace..

get the little blue alu bearing holder for the center diff also

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA4442
Old 05-20-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Regular

cool. so pretty much I would have to take diff's off, empty fluid, check bearings, replace if needed?

So about how often is it good to check?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

cool. so pretty much I would have to take diff's off, empty fluid, check bearings, replace if needed?

So about how often is it good to check?

After every race or two. Dude I personally spend alot of time wrenchin. After last season, I learned my lesson with DNFs and I hate when its a user made mechanical issue. So I try to rebuild the whole car after each race or right before a big race.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

i just noticed this as well not to long ago. My front bulkhead has no play what so ever. The rear one has a slight tick of play in it. I just rebuilt but before there pretty good play on most of the outdrives. I know it's the bulkhead seeing as i have replaced most of the bearings.

I for one think it is almost impossible to get all the play out of everything. So how much is ok for these out drives? I have very little but you can still feel it when you move the outdrive back and forth.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

just checked them again. they are all pretty tight but one. It has some play in it, but how much is bad? It's not that bad, not like the OP.

any reassurance would be great.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

yea mine are pretty bad. So bad it actually moves the axle some. In the pic I posted, where I circled is a small metal ring (thin) thats coming off from the diff and sliding down the drive cup. Pretty sure thats not supposed to be there. Im just going to tear it all down and rebuild them, put in the alum upgrade bearing holder and be done with it.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yea mine are pretty bad. So bad it actually moves the axle some. In the pic I posted, where I circled is a small metal ring (thin) thats coming off from the diff and sliding down the drive cup. Pretty sure thats not supposed to be there. Im just going to tear it all down and rebuild them, put in the alum upgrade bearing holder and be done with it.

That's probably part of the bearing. lol
Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

I was meaning to ask, I guess mostly to "Token", but anybody please answer if you know why.

But why do you strongly recommend buying a new bulkhead (gearbox)?? Please specify what could be wrong with the one I have?? I was just totaling up everything and for the complete rebuild, the gearboxes are the most expensive parts. thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was meaning to ask, I guess mostly to "Token", but anybody please answer if you know why.

But why do you strongly recommend buying a new bulkhead (gearbox)?? Please specify what could be wrong with the one I have?? I was just totaling up everything and for the complete rebuild, the gearboxes are the most expensive parts. thanks
driving it with something worn out ruins everything attached to it. it sucks but thats racing for ya. i check everything out everytime i run my stuff. i have never had a DNF except for two times one was because of a 10 dollar servo went after 5-6 months of use and the other was because of a glow plug and not having another one to put in. if something is loose/worn a little replace it ASAP or you can end up spending a 100 dollars versus 10-15 bucks. been there done that.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by token
Tear it down and check each bearing by hand, if they are not smooth, replace..

get the little blue alu bearing holder for the center diff also

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA4442
Oh before I order everything, I can't tell by the losi.com manual, but how many of these bearing holders do I need for the center? All I can see on the parts manual on one, the picture hides weather or not I need one on the other side as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.