Wiki Posts
Search

Hudy set up station

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ramjesr
I've been juked again There is no total toe just a measurement at each wheel.
Nope, no juking here....from everything I've read, total toe is used on full size cars. I don't have a real good answer on why it's done differently on RC cars.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Nope, no juking here....from everything I've read, total toe is used on full size cars. I don't have a real good answer on why it's done differently on RC cars.
maybe because a full size car has one tie-rod to adjust,r/c car has two tie-rods to adjust.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

just take a measuring ruller and measure middle to middle the front of the tire both left and right, do it on the rear and make sure it coresponds to the front that way you know the tires are straight. Now make a mark and start adding toe. you can measure off the mark both left and right to get 1 degree 2 degree ext. You should have a coresponding counterpoint in the rear of the tire middle to middle.

Never tried this but if i did not have a set up station this is how i would do it or something similar.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

by the way, do you want toe-in or toe-out? on a full size car you want some toe-in.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dreaux
just take a measuring ruller and measure middle to middle the front of the tire both left and right, do it on the rear and make sure it coresponds to the front that way you know the tires are straight. Now make a mark and start adding toe. you can measure off the mark both left and right to get 1 degree 2 degree ext. You should have a coresponding counterpoint in the rear of the tire middle to middle.

Never tried this but if i did not have a set up station this is how i would do it or something similar.
I think that would work if you had only a single tie-rod to adjust, you can still be off a deg. or two and still have the same readings of the front and rear of the tires.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Here you go... Sorry for the crude sketch, but I'm in Chicago for work at the moment, and my Truggy is at home.

Remember, when using this method, each wheel is half of the total toe (i.e. if you want 2.0 deg. of toe, each wheel is 1.0 deg.)
Stubbs way will work for now.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

If you have the 1/8 setup towers and all do you think if you put on 1/8 adapters on a sc truck it would work the same? I got the hyper 10sc and I'm just looking to get the toe right.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Stubbs way will work for now.
I tried it out and it worked well! It may not be exactly perfect but close enough - and now at least both wheels are set the same!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i read this thread too late, i have ordered the hudy set up station when i cud have just gone with the cheap RPM gauges.

Good info
Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Here you go... Sorry for the crude sketch, but I'm in Chicago for work at the moment, and my Truggy is at home.

Remember, when using this method, each wheel is half of the total toe (i.e. if you want 2.0 deg. of toe, each wheel is 1.0 deg.)

(Edit - after further research, the statement above applies to full size cars only. For RC, if you want 2.0 deg. of toe, set each wheel to 2.0 deg).
No Stubbs, you are right. Total toe is total toe....period. 2 degrees on the left front and 2 degrees on the right front is 4 degrees toe. For some reason, long ago before I started racing rc cars, it became the general consensus that 2 degrees left and 2 degrees right is is a total of 2 degrees toe. I argued this until I was blue in the face with everyone that told me I was wrong, but I finally gave up and just accepted the fact of thats how it is in the rc car world. However, when I setup my real race car, 1/2 degree toe on the left front and 1/2 degree toe on the right front is 1 degree toe lol.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Initiate

by the way, do you want toe-in or toe-out? on a full size car you want some toe-in.
Please don't take this as me being a smart ass, but what type of full size car uses toe-in ?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jethro14
Please don't take this as me being a smart ass, but what type of full size car uses toe-in ?
As far as I know every car has some toe-in to assist with steering and keep it going in a straight line.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jake C6R
As far as I know every car has some toe-in to assist with steering and keep it going in a straight line.
Toe-in is used on full size cars to take up the slack and keep the wheels as
close to 0 toe as possible when rolling and the steering system
is under load. Unless your talking Auto-X or SCCA I cant ever remember an
alignment spec that used Toe-out in front.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jurutera
i read this thread too late, i have ordered the hudy set up station when i cud have just gone with the cheap RPM gauges.

Good info
Don't feel so bad, I did the same thing.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jethro14
I don't know about a full size car but with a semi truck (10 wheels) you want the front end 1/8" toe in no more than that because of tire wear. If you set it up with toe-out it will feel like the front end is going to tear its self apart and the tires would not last very long. I am sure if we received feed back from the car through the transmitter steering wheel we could set these r/c cars to the perfect specs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.