R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Cool new nitro advice

hi guys! I'm in the market for a new nitro buggy and so far my choices are the O'Donnell Z01 b team edition and the RC8 B Factory Team edition.I talked to a guy at my local track about my interest in nitro buggies and he told me that i should get a Losi 8ight 2.0 and that it was the best buggy out now.I also told him my choice of nitro engines(O'Donnell SS .21 and the Reedy .21)and he said" don't bother, get an OS Vspec .21, its the best and easy to tune" but he drives a Mugen with an OS. With that said, I would really like you guys opinion on this to lead me in the right direction because this will be my first nitro out of 7 electric rides. BTW both cars and both engines of my choice has had really good reviews,even on this site.your help and opinions are appreciated
radio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
boomgagem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, GA
Posts: 1,577
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem
Default

There are a ton of threads on this. Both of the ones you listed are good buggies. I would honestly pick one that you can find parts for local, have other local racers run the same buggy.

As for engines, I agree the 2 you listed you could do much better for the money. There are also a ton of engines available that are great. The V Spec is a great engine, but I honestly believe again for the money you could do better. The Alpha engines, Werks B5, Powerhouse modded N21R are all awesome and right around the 200 buck range
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 991
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

all new crop of BRAND NAME bugies will do you good, I recommend getting the one you can get support for, Mugen and Kyosho are the ones with the most wins world wide and at international level, X-Ray, AE and Losi are the new comers (been around for less than 5 years in the 1/8) to the game but really good race kits, they all have strong points and weak points
__________________
Rui Almeida
Hamilton, Ontario
CANADA
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default My opinion.....

I would stay away from Losi, hotbodies, OS and Reedy engines. On the positive the 808 is my buggy of choice, but there are several great buggies, but the mugen and the xray are probably the two best in my opinion. As for engines, it depends on your skill level. If you are really new to rc then get a Novarossi BF,reliable/140bucks. If you got some skills then get a nova p5=punch/reliability, a plus 4=runtime/smooth, toro nero=smooth/fast or an alpha red head=200Bucks/freakin fast.
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
off road god's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chattanooga,tn
Posts: 976
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hey Radio 1, the Odonnell is a great choice. I do agree with some of the others as far as parts availability but,you know your area better than any of us. Its simple,straight forward design with proven durability. I run a 2.0 but, I've ran losi since the jrx2....showing my age!
If you can find Corey Johnson on here somewhere he can tell you all about the Odonnell. He's a team driver for them and a great young man ontop of that.
I love the novarossi p5 myself. Had a few of them but, I ran a Force21 pro at the Psycho Nitro Blast in Atlanta this month and fell in love with it....smooth,predictable and FAST. Easy break in and tune....under 200! So...its really your choice...have fun!
off road god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 181
Default Kyosho

I'm a newbie too and just got a Kyosho DBX a couple weeks ago. Maybe you're looking at a higher price point, but for the cash this car has been a lot of fun ($220 complete at amainhobbies.com). My advice is before you buy, make sure parts are available and are not that expensive, you will be breaking stuff. The DBX has been holding up great, except when I run it into things (did I mention I am a newbie?). Tree trunks and fence posts seem to be the most deadly, they dont' give one bit. I've since found that Kyosho parts are readily available and not that expensive, and when the hobby shop doesn't have it you can buy directly from Kyosho. Other brands might be similar. Check the prices of things like suspension arms (I've broken 2), shocks (I bent one), and I hear clutches and gears eventually wear out with use. Also get a metered glow ignitor and pick up an extra glow plug. Fuel goes faster than you might think, buy a gallon not a quart. If you get a ready-to-run type car, double check that all the bolts you can reach are actually tightened correctly. I hope this helps!
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by off road god View Post
Hey Radio 1, the Odonnell is a great choice. I do agree with some of the others as far as parts availability but,you know your area better than any of us. Its simple,straight forward design with proven durability. I run a 2.0 but, I've ran losi since the jrx2....showing my age!
If you can find Corey Johnson on here somewhere he can tell you all about the Odonnell. He's a team driver for them and a great young man ontop of that.
I love the novarossi p5 myself. Had a few of them but, I ran a Force21 pro at the Psycho Nitro Blast in Atlanta this month and fell in love with it....smooth,predictable and FAST. Easy break in and tune....under 200! So...its really your choice...have fun!
Hey off road G! thanks for replying. Well , I have been looking at the OD buggy since september and since i order most of my RC stuff from Tower, Amain, and stormer hobbies,Parts are not a problem since they carry all of the OD buggy parts. However, my local track does'nt,but they do carry AE, Losi, Mugen ect.May be I could order spare parts of the ones that brake more frequently.As far as engines are concern, I'm new to nitro but old to electric RC's.how about an OD ss in a OD buggy with a standard header and a JP3 pipe? And,is this engine easy to tune? Hell, i may have to do my research on the Novarossi engines because you sure do make it sound good with a good price point! Thanks again!!
radio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Default novarossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I would stay away from Losi, hotbodies, OS and Reedy engines. On the positive the 808 is my buggy of choice, but there are several great buggies, but the mugen and the xray are probably the two best in my opinion. As for engines, it depends on your skill level. If you are really new to rc then get a Novarossi BF,reliable/140bucks. If you got some skills then get a nova p5=punch/reliability, a plus 4=runtime/smooth, toro nero=smooth/fast or an alpha red head=200Bucks/freakin fast.
Thanks Merdith! I haven't researched the Xray buggy yet,but i will. Are parts easy to find for the Xray? I do love your reply on the Novarossi engines. Now i have more research to do.Thank you for the insight!!
radio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
There are a ton of threads on this. Both of the ones you listed are good buggies. I would honestly pick one that you can find parts for local, have other local racers run the same buggy.

As for engines, I agree the 2 you listed you could do much better for the money. There are also a ton of engines available that are great. The V Spec is a great engine, but I honestly believe again for the money you could do better. The Alpha engines, Werks B5, Powerhouse modded N21R are all awesome and right around the 200 buck range
Thanks Boomgagem! I wanted to run something different from the other guys at my local track. They mostly run AE,Mugen,and Losi. And with the engines you listed,i now have more homework to do.LOL! Thanks for your reply!
radio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio1 View Post
hi guys! I'm in the market for a new nitro buggy and so far my choices are the O'Donnell Z01 b team edition and the RC8 B Factory Team edition.I talked to a guy at my local track about my interest in nitro buggies and he told me that i should get a Losi 8ight 2.0 and that it was the best buggy out now.I also told him my choice of nitro engines(O'Donnell SS .21 and the Reedy .21)and he said" don't bother, get an OS Vspec .21, its the best and easy to tune" but he drives a Mugen with an OS. With that said, I would really like you guys opinion on this to lead me in the right direction because this will be my first nitro out of 7 electric rides. BTW both cars and both engines of my choice has had really good reviews,even on this site.your help and opinions are appreciated
Get a Xray Xb808 or Mugen Seiki Mbx-6= best buggys out in my opinion and many others!

Also best engines out are the o.s. .21 vzb v-spec or the ninja its $50 more but is a o.s. vzb but with some better features!
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
Tech Addict
 
losi8ight832's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Buckeye,AZ
Posts: 717
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

the best decision would be to get what you personally like. they are all great buggys.
__________________
Joe Campbell
Airtronics M11x
losi8ight832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 303
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

No offense but Im soooooo tired of this. There are 27,000 threads on this very topic and they all have the exact same argument.

Where I stand is -I drive a Losi 8T 2.0. I love my truck. I run OS Vspecs and dont know what Imma do next year cause I have ran those for a while. Now I will say the V-spec is gone. They do not make them anymore so I would look at the Alpha or Ninja JX, because there power curve is similar.

But you can get all the advice in the world, get what you want, cant go wrong with any quality kit and engine.

Last edited by geejay; 03-23-2010 at 08:55 AM.
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,484
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geejay View Post
No offense but Im soooooo tired of this. There are 27,000 threads on this very topic and they all have the exact same argument.

Where I stand is -I drive a Losi 8T 2.0. I love my truck. I run OS Vspecs and dont know what Imma do next year cause I have ran those for a while. Now I will say the V-spec is gone. They do not make them anymore so I would look at the Alpha or Ninja JX.

But you can get all the advice in the world, get what you want, cant go wrong with any quality kit and engine.
thanks for the reply Geejay, no offense taken since its not an argument. I just want an opinion on the 2 buggies and 2 engines that i was looking into and any other opinions that might help me in my choice since i only know a little about nitros. Everyone has been a huge help,especially those who mentioned engines that i knew nothing of and their good price points.I dont want to mess up a $500 engine because of lack of experience with nitros.But, I do know that i want a buggy to compete with at my local track and something different from the norm. And that's why i like the OD buggy. Its a good durable buggy with lots of good reviews and not a ton of people run it.But i still have homework to do on my choice of engines and pipes since there are way more choices than i really knew about(Alpha and ninja JX).Again, thanks Geejay for you input on this subject.
radio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi8ight832 View Post
the best decision would be to get what you personally like. they are all great buggys.
Thanks Losi8ight832,that'
s definitely some great advise.
radio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New need advice Mjk87 Rookie Zone 8 02-26-2007 07:05 AM
TC Nitro Advice scoobydo Nitro On-Road 15 02-28-2005 09:51 PM
New Nitro Touring Car Recommendation nixon Australian Racing 10 11-22-2004 03:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:47 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net