Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Puffers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gixxer2k4
I shouldnt have to suffer cause you jumped in a class without a huge following yet.

Again this is not a knock or debate on electric just the people that think they are holyier than thou attitude but then want to complain when they cant run the mains with a nitro.
Amen bra, i seen them posters. It's kinda annoying.

Poster a, hey whats a good nitro buggy

Poster b, Get a electric its so much cheaper and easier. Faster too. Nitro is a pain.

Most of those people can't drive worth a dam too. The real guys who want them tend to want both.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am a die hard electric guy but I have raced Nitro in the past. I will admit that part of the reason that I love electric and will never go back to Nitro is that I can't tune a Nitro to save my life. I understand electric much better and I have no problems that I can't take care of. I have only had a few races that I did not finish with my electric car/truck because of a problem with my electronics. I did have a ton of problems with my Nitro trucks that caused me to not finish or do well in a race. This was due 100% to the fact that I do not know what the hell that I am doing with Nitro. I give props to you Nitro guys that can keep your engines running strong and just gas and go.

Maybe electric comes easier to me or it is just plain easier but it is the path that I chose and I do well with it.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjlove
Maybe electric comes easier to me or it is just plain easier but it is the path that I chose and I do well with it.
I feel you on this, its the opposite for me. I dont understand sqaut about kv ratings and the batterys. I am not bashing electrics, its the people that try to push it on others like drugs and act like electric doesnt have its own down falls.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losiracer78
im running both classes nitro buggy and e buggy love them both. nitro is still my fav but the ebuggy is a lot of fun. i call it the set it and forget it race. Just set it on the track and forget about it just drive the thing.
I to like the E class for just this reason I don't have a Ebuggy but do
the SCT thing it is just fun NITRO IS KING but it's hard to be serious all
the time you just have to laugh and short course makes me laugh
Old 03-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the only reason I run electric 1/10 is because were I am we don't have a 1/8 nitro indoor to run, but from April till November my electric CONTRAPTIONS are shelf queens. LET THERE BE NITRO, want to run E-buggy 1/8 go to the next park and have fun or if you want to run with the big boys (nitro) DON'T COMPLAIN, and we could be nice to let you run with us.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I agree when a person is asking what buggy would be best in the nitro section and someone says to get an electric because it is better, is annoying. But both nitro and electric have there strong and weak points. I have both and like them equally. A lot of people who run nitro or electric are biased on what they run and will say it's best and the other sucks. But most of the time these people have never run, or don't know enough about the other. If a person is blowing up Lipo's or ESC all the time they do not know what they are doing. It's simple as that. But it's the same with nitro, if a person is always blowing up engines or always chasing a tune, they don't know what they are doing. But when starting out it's going to happen with either. LOL I remember when I started with nitro, I cooked my motor in the first week. But now that I have stuck with it and learned I don't have a problem with tuning or running nitro. Yes electric is easy to learn from and just easier to use. But that is because in nitro you are having to listen to the sound of the engine, and see the amount of smoke coming out of the engine, etc. And learning that can take time to get the experience. But in electric it is literally plug and play. Most of the time when a person blows a Lipo, the problem could of been avoided. The battery will show signs of there being a problem. And like nitro, knowing these signs can take time to learn them. But I am not saying a battery just never blows without a problem. In electric you need to know what you can charge the battery at, how much C your battery needs, what ESC settings you need, etc. But that is no different then knowing what % of nitro you need, what glow plug, etc.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I feel you man, but it's only going to get worse here. With the new electric only indoor track opening here in a few weeks, they will be drawing in new people like crazy. Heck, I'll probably pick up an electric something to run there from time to time. Don't know what yet though. I'll wait and see what the popular classes are but thinking a 1/10 4wd buggy. I raced 1/10 electric buggy, truck, and 4wd buggy back in the day of Nicad and brushed motors. It was a PITA compared to nitro. ESCs always going up in smoke for no reason, cutting comms, brushes. When I was getting back into RC this summer, no way I was going electric. I'm having a blast with nitro, but I also understand that it's not for everyone. You'll see some of the electric people converting to nitro, or in some cases converting back to nitro. Electrics have their pains too.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pickle311
I feel you man, but it's only going to get worse here. With the new electric only indoor track opening here in a few weeks, they will be drawing in new people like crazy. Heck, I'll probably pick up an electric something to run there from time to time. Don't know what yet though. I'll wait and see what the popular classes are but thinking a 1/10 4wd buggy. I raced 1/10 electric buggy, truck, and 4wd buggy back in the day of Nicad and brushed motors. It was a PITA compared to nitro. ESCs always going up in smoke for no reason, cutting comms, brushes. When I was getting back into RC this summer, no way I was going electric. I'm having a blast with nitro, but I also understand that it's not for everyone. You'll see some of the electric people converting to nitro, or in some cases converting back to nitro. Electrics have their pains too.
I race at NCRC. I plan to eventually build an electric to run.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

You guys scared of the big bad nitro cars.

Nitro power cars are easy to tune they are not hard if you pay attention to it. I started out with nitro at age 13yr it wasn't that hard use some common since at that time there wasn't tune by temp. Like most lets lean it out because I want to go faster. Then thats where all the issues start then go online go on and on and on and on nitro this nitro that sucks. Please go somewhere else
Old 03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gixxer2k4
I race at NCRC. I plan to eventually build an electric to run.
You going to Porter this weekend? We'll be making the drive down to kick some electric butt.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanty140
I agree when a person is asking what buggy would be best in the nitro section and someone says to get an electric because it is better, is annoying. But both nitro and electric have there strong and weak points. I have both and like them equally. A lot of people who run nitro or electric are biased on what they run and will say it's best and the other sucks. But most of the time these people have never run, or don't know enough about the other. If a person is blowing up Lipo's or ESC all the time they do not know what they are doing. It's simple as that. But it's the same with nitro, if a person is always blowing up engines or always chasing a tune, they don't know what they are doing. But when starting out it's going to happen with either. LOL I remember when I started with nitro, I cooked my motor in the first week. But now that I have stuck with it and learned I don't have a problem with tuning or running nitro. Yes electric is easy to learn from and just easier to use. But that is because in nitro you are having to listen to the sound of the engine, and see the amount of smoke coming out of the engine, etc. And learning that can take time to get the experience. But in electric it is literally plug and play. Most of the time when a person blows a Lipo, the problem could of been avoided. The battery will show signs of there being a problem. And like nitro, knowing these signs can take time to learn them. But I am not saying a battery just never blows without a problem. In electric you need to know what you can charge the battery at, how much C your battery needs, what ESC settings you need, etc. But that is no different then knowing what % of nitro you need, what glow plug, etc.
Couldn't agree more. I've run both nitro and electric and have never had any major issues with either; I really enjoy both. It seems to me that some people just don't do any research and go at it with absolutely no idea what they're doing, and yet they have no patience to learn from the mistakes they make. I don't think people like that are worth bothering with.

Unfortunately I'm now more or less forced to give up on nitro. Its hard to find time and cash as a student, and I don't think my future roommates will appreciate engines and fuel jugs lying around the dorm . Like you said, electric is not necessarily a whole lot simpler, but its cleaner and quieter running can come in handy in a situation where nitro becomes just a bit too much. I definitely prefer nitro, but I'm cool with electric, especially because without it I may have had to give up on RC for a while.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Prophet

il be honest with you i dont even have, a ton of experience with tuning a nitro engine but, its not that hard. you should know, when your running lean and to rich and im, running a nova engine. me i much rather not mess with speed controler settings, on the comp and etc and having to carry one at the track

thats why i like slash as a electric simple. thats my electric
Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The way I see it, If you are a person that does not have a lot of time on your hand and like the simplicity of charging and driving, the go electric, If you are a gear head that likes to mess with real cars, or your wife wont let you race your real car anymore because its more expensive lol then go nitro.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I got to see a LiPo batt go up in flames this weekend because the diriver forgot to turn the ESC off.. Discharged too far started to puff guy noticed, ripped it out of car and WoooSH up it went.. Good thing there was gravel to trhow on it.. That was huge fire ball.. I never ever ever seen anything that crazy with Nitro racing..
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty!
I got to see a LiPo batt go up in flames this weekend because the diriver forgot to turn the ESC off.. Discharged too far started to puff guy noticed, ripped it out of car and WoooSH up it went.. Good thing there was gravel to trhow on it.. That was huge fire ball.. I never ever ever seen anything that crazy with Nitro racing..
It makes no difference if the lipo in a electric car, or used as a receiver pack. So it could happen to a nitro car just as easily as an electric if it has a lipo receiver pack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.