Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel Line Length

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Fuel Line Length

Does it matter how long the fuel lines are going from the tank to carburetor or from tank to pipe?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

The average I have seen is about 6 to 8 ", there is a thread on it here some were. If you run to much line it will be hard to tune..
Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

You can go as long as you want as long as the tank will let you.
The holes/pick in my mugen tanks(5 series)will still have good pressure/volume when routed from the back of the tank(outlet) to the front body mount,back around the eng,then to the carb. My 808 tank will not work propperly(low press/volume),becoming a b##ch to tune if I go over 8". When I run the D8 tank in my 808(direct drop in)I use a 6" line from tank to carb I can idle upside down indefinitly.
Most instructions dont give you a length just a picture & that should be your fall back. Start as long as you want & shorten from there untill tuning is the same as the fall back length,Usually 8" give or take an inch.

When you go upside down the most important thing is what you do with the throttle durring upside down & when you get flipped. I find quick hard blips stop flame outs untill the air bubbles are gone. You can put an air bubble in your lines in the pits & watch a 2" bubble dissapere in a blink of an eye from the time till it hits the carb till its gone completely,A blink or less for real.Flame outs is the only real way to learn how to handle this though.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Are clunk tanks not the norm? Mine will go upside damn near indefinitely.

As for length, I use just enough to make the connections because I'm rather OCD when it comes to layouts. Longer lines will provide longer runtime though.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

How about the pressure line from pipe? does this really matter if its a direct connection or should it have some length to it.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

In theory, the longer the run the less pressure you'd have.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

I read somewhere the ideal pressure line length is around 8 inches, I think it was in the ron paris tuning guide
Old 02-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

6-8" on both pressure and fuel line. Too short of a pressure line will cause problems too. Needs to be at least 6" to make a constant pressure rather than pulsing with every exhaust stroke.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wrayth
Does it matter how long the fuel lines are going from the tank to carburetor or from tank to pipe?
Its more a case of being legal & no more than 125cc. As your signature shows xray & your running all xray parts go V3 tank & composite filter. Cut your fuel line to 410mm, then mount the filter within that length just cut tube in desired position.
Pressure line 200mm roughly & it will be fine as offroad is not so critical to on road who are flat out most of the time.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info