Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

NEW AGAMA A8 BUGGGY

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

That sounds awesome Gene, at our CWC here in savannah It was tough to keep my buggy under control due to the cold weather. I was thinking it was my setup but had not changed a thing, just the tires where just to cold I guess UF axeman is what I always use and were not hooking up. Looking forward to the new tires.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hobby Pro USA
I use the vp pro carbon trays. It stiffens the chassis and takes weight off the right side.
Thats what I was wondering, thanks Gene..
Old 01-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I have tried all the VP Pro tires, and I keep coming back to UF Axmans no matter what the conditions......they just work everywhere! I am anxious to compare the Axman to the Freeride.....they look pretty much the same. I'm also looking forward to trying the V-max. I have found myself wishing I had just a slightly smaller pin, but not as small as the Turbo Trax. I'm kind of a 1-2 different types of tire guy, so I expect to have a stash of nothing but Freeride and a few V-Max.

I have been begging Jason to give me a set of each from his stash but he's not caving in! I will pester him again this weekend and see if he gives in lol.

On another note, I have been playing with the setup some more on my E-Buggy and have ended up with 3-5-7 in the diffs. AWESOME slow speed steering and good rotation speed in the rear....a little too quick sometime but I think I just need to reduce the rear toe or go up in the rear camber links to fix that. I have pretty much settled on this diff setup and would encourage anyone who does not have the turn in speed they are looking for or are having trouble really hugging the pipe to give it a try....think you will be impressed!

As usual, impressed with the car every time I drive it and try something new on it!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Raced Rnd 1 of the FSORS on Sat at Hurricane Raceway. I had tested the Beta V-Max and Cubez in soft and super soft, but have not got to run the others yet.

In practice, I ran the Super Soft Freerides. Normally I run Axman or Gripz in Ultra Flexx when the track is like this - cold, damp, slick/slimy groove early in the morning. Everything else pushes bad and is very loose. The Freeide was very hooked up and pushing but not loose. They would have been better if I had used them only in the rear and used Enforcer's up front like Josh Wheeler always runs - Blades/Axman. Also, AKA drivers use City Block/Ibeams for more steering.

Rnd 1 - I planned on running the Cubez but decided to run the super soft Enforcers because TQ of the sportsman class ran super soft AKA City Blocks and he looked good. The Enforcers were awesome. Tons of traction and steering. The track was damp off the groove and dusty in the line. They felt like a cross between a VP-Pro Axman and Blade as far as handling. I qualified 3rd even with 2 mistakes.

Rnd 2 - I ran the super soft V-Max. The track was still very clod (Temps in the 50's) and very dusty. They worked very good. Easy to drive, good traction and steering. They would be better when the track was warmer and more grooved up. I crashed off the track on the first lap so I had a bad run but the tires performed great and I did the same time as in rnd 1. That put me 6th on the grid for the main event.

A-main - Billy Easton was TQ, followed by Josh Tallmadge with Turbo Trax, Ryan Eckert with AKA's, Ryan Johnson with Hybrids, and JR Mitch also with JCs. Joey Perez and Stuart Shawl were also in the main with UF Axman on their Agamas. The main was run under the lights and the temps dropped into the 40's - freezing for FL weather. I went with super soft Cubez, although Enforcer/Freerides would have been better. My car was dialed the first 10 minutes and I worked my way up to 3rd, not far behind Eckert and Easton. Then, my car started to get loose as the track became dusty and colder/slicker. I was still fast, just a little loose. I carshed and dropped to 4th behind Mitch. In the last 20 minutes, I drove the best I could and caught Mitch and had a great battle for the rest of the main. We swapped the position several times and with 2 min to go, I got past him to take 3rd. Just then, Eckert broke a front arm or shock and I got past him with 1 min to go and held on to 2nd place.

This was the 3rd time in a row at a FL State Series race that I finished 2nd behind Easton, once with Ultra Flexx Turbo Trax, once on soft Cubez, and this time on super soft Cubez.

My Agama buggy was great and with the Beta super soft tires, I had great traction in the cold weather for the first time ever. Ultra Flexx works perfect when the track is warm, but are always loose in cold weather. Super Soft Beta tires will solve that problem for Hobby Pro USA drivers this year.
Awesome Gene, and thank you and Andrew for everything.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Moving discussion over from Fioroni thread...

Originally Posted by Rsickles
Some of us are already running 15mm Mugen shocks, James.
Originally Posted by Jaz240
No mods? Direct fit? what about the standoffs? How is the angle of the shocks in reference to the A Arms?

I measured the AE big bores and they were almost identical in size to the Agama but I did not attach them and try them
100% direct fit. I took them straight off my Mugen and put them on.

The Mugen shock cap bushing (for the stand off) fits perfect on the Agama stand offs. Even the Mugen end links/pivot ball fits perfect into the Agama control arms. You don't need a flanged M3 nut, though.

After measuring the lengths, the Mugen shocks were about 1mm longer on rear and 2mm longer of front. That's pretty much the difference between threading the end links onto the shaft all the way and what size washer is on the piston. Between my droop and bottoming out, range of motion didn't change, so geometry didn't change.

I'm not trying to start a revolution, just wanted to post what I've been running for several races after I got tired of the Agama shocks... they felt like they needed oil changed every race day and seemed inconsistent every time I went for my baseline weight. I also hated the piston options, which is why I swapped them. So far I like the options and it opens up a whole new world for the Agama.
Attached Thumbnails NEW AGAMA A8 BUGGGY-mugen_3.jpg   NEW AGAMA A8 BUGGGY-mugen_4.jpg   NEW AGAMA A8 BUGGGY-mugen_2.jpg   NEW AGAMA A8 BUGGGY-mugen_1.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Hmmmmm.....

I've had both and I like the Agama's better. But whatever it takes to make you faster!!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HoustonAreaRC
Hmmmmm.....

I've had both and I like the Agama's better. But whatever it takes to make you faster!!
Same here, mines feels like butter.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What are you guys running for shock oil in the cold weather with the 8hole 1.3 pistons and gray springs?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by stallen50
What are you guys running for shock oil in the cold weather with the 8hole 1.3 pistons and gray springs?
Stallen ran 32.5 frt and 30 rear Saturday night at RCHQ 1.3 all the way round. Car handled like a champ, it had cooled off a little bit. So lowered it to this from what I had been running.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eddie Garcia
Stallen ran 32.5 frt and 30 rear Saturday night at RCHQ 1.3 all the way round. Car handled like a champ, it had cooled off a little bit. So lowered it to this from what I had been running.
i ran 32.5 in the front and 27.5 in the rear and it sucked. but it was the first time driving the car. so i will go back to stock and go from there or try jb's setup but a lil lighter oils.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by stallen50
i ran 32.5 in the front and 27.5 in the rear and it sucked. but it was the first time driving the car. so i will go back to stock and go from there or try jb's setup but a lil lighter oils.
Lol, well its whatever works for you. I know what works for me and what I feel comfortable with. I've tried quite a bit a with the A8 so at this point that was the difference maker for me on Saturday night. Good Luck
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Hobby Pro USA

That is about the only bad thing about 17mm shocks - temp changes drastically affect the shock oil needed. I think that is why my car was loose in the main also, because I did not have time to go to thinner oil for the main at night. The thinner the oil, the more traction the buggy has. That is why I run thick oil when it is warm out and super grooved up.

Dani Vega ran Mugen shocks on his buggy when he first started running it. But that was before we had taperted shock pistons, 8 hole pistons, and optional springs. But if you like Mugen shocks, they are a direct fit. Losi 15mm truggy shocks are a direct fit also, you just have to use fuel tuning on the caps. I tried them before the optional pistons and springs came out also.

The 8 hole tapered pistons made the biggest improvement in the agama shocks. I also feel running outside on the arms with long ends helps a lot too. And I still feel the shock cap mod with foam behind the bladder is a must with the Agama bladders.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

That is about the only bad thing about 17mm shocks - temp changes drastically affect the shock oil needed. I think that is why my car was loose in the main also, because I did not have time to go to thinner oil for the main at night. The thinner the oil, the more traction the buggy has. That is why I run thick oil when it is warm out and super grooved up.

Dani Vega ran Mugen shocks on his buggy when he first started running it. But that was before we had taperted shock pistons, 8 hole pistons, and optional springs. But if you like Mugen shocks, they are a direct fit. Losi 15mm truggy shocks are a direct fit also, you just have to use fuel tuning on the caps. I tried them before the optional pistons and springs came out also.

The 8 hole tapered pistons made the biggest improvement in the agama shocks. I also feel running outside on the arms with long ends helps a lot too. And I still feel the shock cap mod with foam behind the bladder is a must with the Agama bladders.
do you have a picture of this shock mod? what kind of foam do i use? also does anyone know what options i have for bodies for the agama ebuggy? i personally like this one.....http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...osi-8ight-E-20

wonder if it will work? can i just use the stock agama nitro body? i need to purchase a body in the next couple days so and i have absolutely NO IDEA what fits???
Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I like the shocks also but this conversation started on the Fioroni piston thread because the Fioroni pistons practically eliminate chassis slap. The nitro tracks we run here in Arizona have MX style huge air jumps and even when you downside the jumps perfectly you still get chassis slap and have to wait for the car to settle before you get on the gas. We were dropping my friends RC8 with the Fioroni pistons from heights of about 4 feet and the chassis did not slap the table, but with any other shock the car was slapping at less than 2 feet. With the buggy on the ground the Fioroni piston shocks were smooth and free and if you get a chance to watch them in action they just soak up all the bumps and ruts and you can just blast through washboards and moguls while still being able to land the huge jumps without the car getting all bouncy and out of shape. They really are an incredible aspect to any suspension set up and I can't see how they would not instantly decrease anyone's lap times. They are only available in 15 or 16mm sizes and that was how this whole conversation started. It was never about the Agama shocks being bad, it was about how much better those Fioroni pistons were.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is there a way to find out the shock spring rates?

Also what are the 3x11.8 pins for? Part 8068. I didn't locate them in the manual.

Thanx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.