Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated RC8T CE OR Mugen MBX6T

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

I can say from building and driving nearly all brands at one point or another and having raced nearly every weekend for nearly 9 yrs and having operated a track for most of those 9 yrs, they are both OUTSTANDING cars/trucks. By nature the rc8b/t do turn better WITH THE RIGHT SETUP. The mugens tend to jump better and handle ruff tracks better while being calmer and a bit easier to drive fast. HOWEVER, with that said ANY car can be great or suck with the right or wrong setup.

ps , I drive AE rc8b but would go back to a Mugen mbx6 in a second.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I can't speak for AE but mugen quality is 2nd to none and they don't need any hop up parts or wear out in 2 gallons. As for the diffs as some body commented on if you build them right the are as good any as other in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

The RC8T CE is a great truck. The only issue i had in building the few i have built for locals are the spacers for the Knuckles. Once they are in, just check them to make sure they are tight between rounds. Dont worry about the different size bearings. Most are 8x16, with the inner hum bears being bigger to hold the CVD pin in place.

Also, dont listen to the carbon vs AL tower people. If you break a 5mm carbon tower, you are doing something WRONG. The new towers on the rc8t are great since they have the new upper bushing, and are easier to replace. The lower mounts on the RC8T are great, 1 set screw to release a pin that holds the bottom of the shock. No need for a long screw to release the shock. The pin version makes it quicker to do maintenance.

The shocks on the AE i feel are a little smoother then the mugen. Mugens still have diff seal problems, but with regular maintenance they pose no problems.

I personnally drive a Losi, but i drove the RC8T less then 2 months ago as my personal ride.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

me it the rc8t ce!!
i have runnig late in the summer wiht my rc8te(now a rc8tce-e!!)
the only thing have break is a shock shaft because have crash directly under the pit-stop!!)

and i can speak of mugen no one in my track have a mugen!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What he said!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

this is based on what i is see ,if your lazy like me get the rc8t but if you re that kind of guy like to spend more time on this (like maintenance) so i guess get the mbx6t , i tried my friends 6T & believe me i like it the handling everything it so easy to drive & too light but the thing i hate is that you need to always check the diffs., please this is base on my experince so i know someone will comment on my post
Old 01-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

what the hell about the diff??
show me pic what you telling??
Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The MBX6T seems pretty awesome going around the track. I seen one strip the diff out at our club track also, improper shimming was the culprit. If I ever get bored with my RC8Ts, I'd go Mugen.

That being said, I love my RC8T. You never have to re-shim the diffs ( at least not during the first 15+ gallons ) I put aluminum rear hubs on it for strength, and the thing is tough as nails, and is a great track machine.

It reacts well to small changes from what I've experienced. It's my first truggy, and it was a good choice. I'm one of the last guys in our club to jump on the truggy train, and ended up winning our points series in truggy class.

Both are good choices IMO, and it's a tough decision, but my only experience is with the RC8T, so I'm not much help.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

broken carbon shock towers? on a truggy? the body must have be destroyed too. i've never seen or heard of the cf towers breaking on the rc8t or any truggy, all the ae drivers run the cf towers anyways. all truggies have their "quirks" out of the box but in these forums are many solutions. i think the problem with the mugen diffs may be the small o rings behind the small gears, they can get worn and the internal mesh gets loose. the pbs suspension needs very little maintenance but has limited adjustability. i have driven the top 3 truggies ae, mugen and losi and out of the box with the box setup the rc8t was the easiest to drive. it goes where i want it to and needs very little correcting coming off jumps or into jumps or bumps. if you play around with the setups any of the 3 can win in any hands. also, there were no mbx6t's in the nats truggy a main.

Last edited by j_blaze14; 01-23-2010 at 07:10 PM.