Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to attract more racers to track in Tulsa, OK

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I am going to assume the track and organization the OP is refering to is TORC. I have been to TORC, and it is a nice track and has good people trying to do the best they can with what little money they have to spend... Turbo900rr has it right that 1 person needs to make the decision on what gets done where and when.. IE the PRes.. If one pres doesn't cut the mustard then you elect a different one the next season.. But eventually this will end up not working also.. Just from small bickering that can go on in a club..

One issue turbo900rr brought up that the OP never did hit on was water.. Does the track get watered regularly? I went to TORC spring of '09 for some practice, and I was ther pretty early in the day and the track was already dried out pretty badly.. I never once saw anyone water the track.

One other issue it there isn't a hobby shop on site, which can be hard for some people to deal with. But, it is not the end of the world either, and has been over come by other tracks..

I've been to the TORC website and have interacted with members there. I have seen alot fo talking about this and that, but I have yet to actually see anything getting done about it. So, until things actually get done then the track will never fly.. my $.02

Good luck with what ever the club decides.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i couldnt agree more scotty and im sure if they ironed things out people would come back its a nice track
Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by itsshemp
It's hard to say why people do not attend. There could be many reasons. Economy has a lot to do with it. Also can depend on if there are other tracks in your area. If so, and they are pulling a crowd, I believe that "people will go, where people go". Here is So Cal we have this situation. We have 4-5 tracks within driving distance. Once people gather at a certain track for racing/practice, it seems to hang on to those that want to race. They know where racing is guaranteed to take place. It's a matter of turning that tide.
All you can do is promote your facility, offer a nice place for racers to go, good "fresh" layouts, and try to keep a good reputation.
Personally, I try to hit up all the tracks in my area. Not only to support the hobby, but to sharpen my skills. Driving on the same layout every weekend is not challenging to me. If you race any series races, or big races, you have to be able to adapt to other conditions.
Don't get discouraged. Just keep your facility clean, fresh, and promote not only your facility, but the hobby in general.
At my "local" track, we speak to a lot of people that come just to watch. In many cases they end up going to the local hobby shop and purchasing an entry level kit, and come out to practice. Eventually getting into the racing side of it.

Good Luck!
Personally, I try to hit up all the tracks in my area. Not only to support the hobby, but to sharpen my skills. Driving on the same layout every weekend is not challenging to me. Nor fun,same people get very boring to me
Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Tech Master

My example is a mix of mismanagement, rushed track build, and lack of help from racers. The worst is that the club could not collect money(for the club) because the entry fee was already expensive to begin with, and the greedy track owners want to pocket the money rather than spend it on the track. Non-profit my butt
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
My example is a mix of mismanagement, rushed track build, and lack of help from racers. The worst is that the club could not collect money(for the club) because the entry fee was already expensive to begin with, and the greedy track owners want to pocket the money rather than spend it on the track. Non-profit my butt
That sounds familar...are you talking about Sandbox Hawaii? Oops, did I say that?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
.... Non-profit my butt

Wow thats some serious accusation, do you personally know the guys or is it just a general statement about "non profit orgs"?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i dont know if the (ecomony has a lot to do with it) , (in pa at least i havnt saw any dropoff in attence) at least were the, track i go to theres always prently of people every week.

now i know californa and detriot has, the worst of the ecomony so i can understand there would be a drop off in attence.

from my (experice) from my r.i.p. local track, is that if you have a owner thats not (willing to let anybody know,what is going on) and (not answering the phone or letting, people know whats happening). on the website that will give you a really bad rep, and not having big races will kill your attence.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xjqkz
How to attract more racers to track in Tulsa, OK ?
move the track out of Oklahoma!

Hook 'Em \m/
Old 01-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

The advertising of the track is very poor.

As an outsider reading this forum, I still am not positive of the name of the track. Is it Torc?

Xjqkz, are you taking the responsibilty of getting the word out about the track? If so, change your user name on this forum to the track name.

I have some suggestions that could help.

First, What is the name of the track, what type of track, size, surface composition?

What are the race days and starting times? Track hours?
Is there a transponder system?

What are the three primary classes raced? Race fee's, membership fee's?

What tires work?

Start a new thread in the "track locator" forum with the title "track name, city, state". List the features of the track, pictures too. (you'll see my own track thread Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway right up there on top )

Post similar threads in forum on Hobbytalk.com, RCUniverse.com, RC Car Action Magazine in there correct forum threads. Check them, respond to questions.

Create a basic information only website. I only pay around $30 a year for mine....http://www.rchr.biz
Old 01-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xjqkz
Wow thats some serious accusation, do you personally know the guys or is it just a general statement about "non profit orgs"?
I believe he was referring to a different track that he used to race at.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just what I think but getting the word out about your track. Then go at talk to some of the other tracks in the area have a point series with all the tracks in the area. Then get the word out like crazy I will make a difference that is what we do here in eastern NC. There is about 5 tracks or so that get in on it. Its great because it gets the word out about all the tracks and then from there you can also have big races at your track it will help.

Somethink else you guys should do is go to other track and race an get the word out about your track. Were I am the track owner will give other track owns a chance to say something dring the drivers meeting about any races coming up it really helps out the racers to no about other tracks.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by AndrewClaycomb

what?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Great to see Tulsa R/C in the house!!!!!!! When I lived there (95-05), there was no track like that. That is a great looking track. I flew R/C aircraft with the American Turf Flyers. The ATF was a private club. We understood that the hobby coast money. Beacuse of this we did some things to attract new people/families to the club. They were things such as:

1) Have a "public day" were interested people in the hobby were invited along with their families to come out to the field and fly a trainer. We took the approach that dads could spend time with sons and daughters flying. We wanted individuals to not only see how much fun it was, but that we were there to HELP them learn how to fly.

2) We had various trainer planes on display, along with a cost of what it takes to get into the hobby. We also made sure that the hobby stores carried the planes. We worked with Russ at Ultimate R/C (Broken Arrow) and Tom at Model Works (Tulsa). They supported the field, and we supported them.

3) We sent out invatations to surrounding clubs for our annual Memorial Day fun fly. We provided all the food and drinks, all they had to do was fly!!!! It was a great event that continued to grow each and every year (bring in new people). The last one I was able to attend had people coming from as far away as Fort Smith, AR and Springfield , MO.

I guess what I trying to say is that you will have to make the rounds to the local hobby stores that sell 1/8th R/C buggys/truggys. Make connections!!!! Put on a race and start promoting the heck out of it. People will come back if they
1) know it exist
2) Know the cost and where to get the cars and equipment from
3) Know that if they have any trouble that the members of the club are approachable and will not ignore them just because they are newbs!!!!!!!

I hope that this gives you some ideas. Good luck with the club and keep us posted.

Rich

BTW, is Dave still around from Action Hobbies (51st and Memorial)?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCHR
The advertising of the track is very poor.

As an outsider reading this forum, I still am not positive of the name of the track. Is it Torc?

Xjqkz, are you taking the responsibilty of getting the word out about the track? If so, change your user name on this forum to the track name.

I have some suggestions that could help.

First, What is the name of the track, what type of track, size, surface composition?

What are the race days and starting times? Track hours?
Is there a transponder system?

What are the three primary classes raced? Race fee's, membership fee's?

What tires work?

Start a new thread in the "track locator" forum with the title "track name, city, state". List the features of the track, pictures too. (you'll see my own track thread Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway right up there on top )

Post similar threads in forum on Hobbytalk.com, RCUniverse.com, RC Car Action Magazine in there correct forum threads. Check them, respond to questions.

Create a basic information only website. I only pay around $30 a year for mine....http://www.rchr.biz

Some really good ideas there, we already have a website, tulsaracing.org that takes you to our discussion forums I guess we should also add an intro page about what the club is all about/ground rules/classes/support and stuff like that. I'll definitely bring some of your points up in the next club meeting! thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by fireman rich
Great to see Tulsa R/C in the house!!!!!!! When I lived there (95-05), there was no track like that. That is a great looking track. I flew R/C aircraft with the American Turf Flyers. The ATF was a private club. We understood that the hobby coast money. Beacuse of this we did some things to attract new people/families to the club. They were things such as:

1) Have a "public day" were interested people in the hobby were invited along with their families to come out to the field and fly a trainer. We took the approach that dads could spend time with sons and daughters flying. We wanted individuals to not only see how much fun it was, but that we were there to HELP them learn how to fly.

2) We had various trainer planes on display, along with a cost of what it takes to get into the hobby. We also made sure that the hobby stores carried the planes. We worked with Russ at Ultimate R/C (Broken Arrow) and Tom at Model Works (Tulsa). They supported the field, and we supported them.

3) We sent out invatations to surrounding clubs for our annual Memorial Day fun fly. We provided all the food and drinks, all they had to do was fly!!!! It was a great event that continued to grow each and every year (bring in new people). The last one I was able to attend had people coming from as far away as Fort Smith, AR and Springfield , MO.

I guess what I trying to say is that you will have to make the rounds to the local hobby stores that sell 1/8th R/C buggys/truggys. Make connections!!!! Put on a race and start promoting the heck out of it. People will come back if they
1) know it exist
2) Know the cost and where to get the cars and equipment from
3) Know that if they have any trouble that the members of the club are approachable and will not ignore them just because they are newbs!!!!!!!

I hope that this gives you some ideas. Good luck with the club and keep us posted.

Rich

BTW, is Dave still around from Action Hobbies (51st and Memorial)?
Good idea about having a free club day where everyone can come by and try it out. I think we had a 'open house' last year and quiet a few people showed up. I think we need to have one one every month or so. Not sure if anyone would volunteer their thousand $ buggy in the hands of an amateur.

Yes Dave is still around though ultimate r/c has shut down.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Hey guys this is Frank Sell. I have only raced at TORC one time. The one time I raced there the track I had a good time with the crowd there.They made me feel welcome as a first timer at the track.

The track wasn't in the best shape. The track was really dry and the jumps weren't ideal either. The guys that consider themselves "racers" like to see better conditions on those two subjects. I know several racers in OK and that is a couple complaints I hear. Other than that You guys have a good thing there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.