Wiki Posts
Search

Why is my rossi running so hot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Why is my rossi running so hot?

I have a rossi .28 in a truggy and when im running it it will get pretty hot when im on the throttle a lot and bring it right in a take the temp. It has read over 300 a few times. When the truck is just driving around at low speeds and never really getting up to top speed in doesnt seem to do this.
Now it seems like a classic low speed is rich to fix lean high speed but there is a pretty good amount of smoke coming out.
It's not the clutch or drive train since it's all free spinning and the clutch is brand new.
Could it still be the low speed rich high speed lean thing?
The truck never stays at those hot temps, it goes right back down after idling for 10 secs or so.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Prophet

to me that defiely sounds like a air leak somewhere my nova .21 bf was
doing the same thing.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

yeah i thought that might be what is was but i sealed the engine when i got it so i have no idea. I took it out and did the soap and water test to check and i couldnt see any leaks. Unless it's the front bearing. It doesnt leak from what i could tell just a little nitro sometimes but i havent seen an engine that doesnt do that.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Preston777
yeah i thought that might be what is was but i sealed the engine when i got it so i have no idea. I took it out and did the soap and water test to check and i couldnt see any leaks. Unless it's the front bearing. It doesnt leak from what i could tell just a little nitro sometimes but i havent seen an engine that doesnt do that.

what about the carberator
Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is it preforming well, with no bogging, flat spotting, or high idling off of the jumps ? You say you have smoke, and your drivetrain is freed up, so I'm guessing that maybe your temp gun is the culprit.

Take the head off the engine, and check to see if there any pitting on the head button and/or piston. If there is, then you've ran it too lean a few times.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Now that i think about it my temp gun might be wrong. and yes i the carb is sealed as well tc5. I will go buy a new temp gun and see what it has to say. I'll check the head button and piston as well.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
your temp gun is the culprit.

Take the head off the engine, and check to see if there any pitting on the head button and/or piston. If there is, then you've ran it too lean a few times.
Both good things to look for, temp with a selecton of guns next time out..... the plug will distort and tell you its detonating before the button or piston gets pitted..... take a good look at the plug, with a magnifying gass if you can get one.

Other than that I would say richen that beast up on top.... if the idles wants to drop, lean the bottom out alittle. Basically run the top just a tad richer than top speed achieved..... If your straight at the track is super long the engine can literally be running out of fuel being on the high side needle for so long and temps will rise very fast in that condition. Smoke isn't thedetermining factor for me really.... I can make an engine bellow smoke and run 300'... too rich will cause heat also .28s arent exactly RPM monsters, the piston, rod and cranks in them are alot heavier than .21s so typically a .28 will turn 5,000+ less RPM and usually need a taller clutch bell to achieve the same speed.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

put a drop of water on the head if it doesnt sizzle off instantly its not that hot...
Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Preston777
Now that i think about it my temp gun might be wrong. and yes i the carb is sealed as well tc5. I will go buy a new temp gun and see what it has to say. I'll check the head button and piston as well.
Pick up an Odonnell gun..... been using mine for about 2 yrs without any issues and it within a few degrees of every excergen I've tested it against
Old 12-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

here are the pics of the piston head and the button. my gun read over 325 today when i was trying to figure out what was wrong and that doesnt seem possible with the plug still in tact.
Attached Thumbnails Why is my rossi running so hot?-dsc00695.jpg   Why is my rossi running so hot?-dsc00697.jpg  

Last edited by Preston777; 12-10-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

That plug doesnt look good at all..... and the carbon trail to the exhaust port on the piston tells me its been run pretty lean. I think your gun is right

Anytime the glow element (the coil) is dull, grey or white basically anything but shiny its a bad thing

You running odonnell fuel by chance?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Adept

i did run maybe 2 or 3 tanks of it through it but i am running sidewinder now. Does that carbon trail mean the motor is going to be bad? or will it be okay if i richen things up and get it tuned right.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

what plugs would you recommend running in it? i have been using medium O.S. plugs. something that would be better?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Champion

It looks like an odonnell engine by the color of everything, not a bad thing

It'll be fine... throw that plug at the guy that sold it to you and get a longer plug.... take a close look at how far the plug goes into the combustion chamber.... the OS plugs are shorter than regular plugs. Thats a contributing factor to your tuning issues, your essentially running a super cold plug. OS plugs typically only fit in OS engines. Pick up some regular Odonnell 97's and tune those in, start from scratch. Richen the HSN 1/2 turn and start over
Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Adept

yeah i thought it didnt look right sitting in there haha. Im just going to go back to the factory settings and redo it. I am going to pick up a new temp gun though. I have a duratrax one and i dont like it at all. Are the 97's a turbo only plug? it's a standard plug engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.