Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Thanks and will check out tonite
Old 06-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It took them years to design and build the car...for what?
They delayed production because of some issues they had to fix...did they???
It makes me wonder if it actually deserved the waiting.

Anyway i got the kit but haven’t opened it yet and would like to know what people use for steering plastic ends. The ones on the wheel site?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Lighten up francis. :-)

At some point a kit has to be released... There are some small things wrong, kind of like buggy Microsoft software. Nothing really a deal breaker.

Plastic steering ends. Whatever is in the kit.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Then you either haven't driven one or did and didn't notice that those ends bend even when adjusting toe in or out.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vti-chris
Then you either haven't driven one or did and didn't notice that those ends bend even when adjusting toe in or out.
Ya I noticed that, until they loosened up a bit I held the links with a pair of pliers. Since they are flexible I think they will work ok. I bought an extra package of ends for everything just in case.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

You guys all sound like newbies. Do any of you remember the last 10 cars that got released?!?! All of them had issues and I mean all of them! Some of them have been changed 5 times or more and still have issues. All you can do is wait for the factory to address the problems with updated versions. Until then pick your poison and enjoy it as much as you can. I can make a list of all the new kits released by 8 different factories over the last two years and also a list of all the problems that each and every kit has had. Some if you are well aware of the fact that some kits after 2 years of upgrades and new designs still have major problems. This industry has been like this for awhile now. A large part of it also has to do with the fact that this is a business and factories make parts to break and wear out so we have to keep replacing them. There is a certain level of acceptable problems that won't stop us from buying product regardless of what issues it has. I challenge any of you to name one kit that is perfect and does not need some kind of tweeking or upgrades, or has week points.... No such thing!!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default vid

A quick video of Toms car, one of the first times on the track. Sorry for the bad quality its like a cell phone video

http://vimeo.com/12544837
Old 06-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie
A quick video of Toms car, one of the first times on the track. Sorry for the bad quality its like a cell phone video

http://vimeo.com/12544837
listed as private
Old 06-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Tech Adept

any update on the missing parts and servo blowing issue?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
You guys all sound like newbies. Do any of you remember the last 10 cars that got released?!?! All of them had issues and I mean all of them! Some of them have been changed 5 times or more and still have issues. All you can do is wait for the factory to address the problems with updated versions. Until then pick your poison and enjoy it as much as you can. I can make a list of all the new kits released by 8 different factories over the last two years and also a list of all the problems that each and every kit has had. Some if you are well aware of the fact that some kits after 2 years of upgrades and new designs still have major problems. This industry has been like this for awhile now. A large part of it also has to do with the fact that this is a business and factories make parts to break and wear out so we have to keep replacing them. There is a certain level of acceptable problems that won't stop us from buying product regardless of what issues it has. I challenge any of you to name one kit that is perfect and does not need some kind of tweeking or upgrades, or has week points.... No such thing!!
X2

I just can't understand any of those companies who through something in the market with obvious problems.I mean, didn't they notice those issues during testing...isn't this the reason they test the car before production???
Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vti-chris
X2

I just can't understand any of those companies who through something in the market with obvious problems.I mean, didn't they notice those issues during testing...isn't this the reason they test the car before production???
Name 1 company who has produced a car with zero flaws straight to the consumer?

There is none... we are just as important in the long run with communicating feedback wether it be good or bad. That is how they improve the car over time. Losi, AE , Xray, Jammin, Kyosho, Serpent, insert car company X here, they all have problems. The team have guys driving these cars that are usually of a higher skill level and do not wreck as much or the same ways the rest of us do. It is just the nature of the beast...Dont forget to add the weather into the mix as well... cold or hot makes a huge difference in the plastics etc....

The car looks promising... You just have to take the good with the bad....one of the good is the price/quality from what I have seen.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:50 AM
Tech Master

I won't dissagree!!!
First impressions here...fastest acceleration i've ever seen up to now from 1/8 buggies.
Not so great off power steering and rather sensitive on power with the rear end fishtailing and kicking out on first throttle input.
Any setup tips yet?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Tech Regular

Just stick this to the servo, problem solved...
Tamiya Heat Resistant Servo Tape
Old 06-14-2010, 02:17 AM
Tech Elite

Do you think that might have something to do with the kit set up of a 2.5mm sway bar on front and a 2.3 on the rear ?
That heavier sway bar on the front will certainly take some steering away - yes ? It should give more rear traction too, but perhaps it's too much of a difference.
I see on the set up sheet that came with my kit they recommend 2.3 sway bar front and rear, but the kit comes with 2.5 front and 2.3 rear - bit odd.
Same with the shocks. They recommend blue springs front and green springs rear, but supply pink springs (the softest spring available) all round ?

Don't get me wrong. I have built the buggy and it looks very good and balanced, but with most of the optional parts (springs etc) not yet available, it is a bit frustrating if you want to get into setting it up for your track.
Initial reports say it seems to perform well on the kit supplied springs etc which is great, but that will vary greatly from track to track. Hopefully everything will be available soon and we can start playing.
This is the first time I have purchased a "new" and un-established kit, so I guess these little glitches go with the territory. I am hoping we are all in on what will be a very special and competitive buggy, given a little lead in time.

Just a brief note on the throttle servo arm thing. We were saying how you could mount the arms over and under on the flat L shaped metal horns that are available to stop the linkages hitting - well they should be mounted like this anyway. Check the manual and you will see it says to mount the brake rod underneath and the throttle rod on top. That's how mine are, and they are level and miss each other by a mile. I am picking you guys that are having trouble with the rods hitting have mounted them both on top or both underneath.

Last edited by grizz1; 06-14-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:08 AM
Dal
Tech Master

I went to rear toes of 4degrees, which is the number "4" with the hole towards the outside of car, it made a huge rear traction difference.
I also went to 1.4 holes in rear shocks, with the 300wt oil.
Another important thing, make sure the shock bottoms are free, mine had the steel balls rock solid inside the plastic shock ballends, and when put on the rear arms, they were tight there too, so I dremelled off a little from the steel balls and squashed the plastic ballends a little bit to get them to loosen up.
I also use a cross type plastic servo horn, I made a peice of carbon fibre (from my broken front tower) to bolt below the servo horn.
It works well, and gives a nice 5mm difference between top and bottom, or if you prefer, throttle and brake.
I also had 2 rear bearings lock up. I did pre oil them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.