Search

Cheap Car vs Expensive car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Questions?? Cheap Car vs Expensive car?

Hi

I am just wondering if you bout a cheaper truggy that has plenty of parts on hand, if you put a good quality engine and exhaust system with all upgraded parts would the car be just as competive as say a losi or associated?

cheers
Old 11-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Most of the time if you are going to go through all that work to upgrade a cheap car it would of been better off just buying the better car upfront. I personally would just save the money and get what you really want instead of just buying a cheap car and throwing money at it. For example you can get a HPI Hellfire and throw tons of money at it and make it better, but it will never be like the top vehicles today and still be classified as a hellfire.

If you are talking about say a D8T and a MBX6T. Yes the D8T cheaper, but is a car capable of winning. Same with say a V-Spec and a Speed. The V-spec isn't as good as the speed in most cases, but the V-Spec is an awesome engine. You don't need to buy the best of the best to win. Driving will come into play more. For example. I bought a 8ight-T 2.0 RTR. It isn't a nice as the roller. But is a solid platform capable of doing well. In this case putting some money into it this vehicle as it breaks or upgrading a part every now and then is worth it. It all depends on the platform and vehicle you are talking about.

What car are you talking about?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanty140
Most of the time if you are going to go through all that work to upgrade a cheap car it would of been better off just buying the better car upfront. I personally would just save the money and get what you really want instead of just buying a cheap car and throwing money at it. For example you can get a HPI Hellfire and throw tons of money at it and make it better, but it will never be like the top vehicles today and still be classified as a hellfire.

If you are talking about say a D8T and a MBX6T. Yes the D8T cheaper, but is a car capable of winning. Same with say a V-Spec and a Speed. The V-spec isn't as good as the speed in most cases, but the V-Spec is an awesome engine. You don't need to buy the best of the best to win. Driving will come into play more. For example. I bought a 8ight-T 2.0 RTR. It isn't a nice as the roller. But is a solid platform capable of doing well. In this case putting some money into it this vehicle as it breaks or upgrading a part every now and then is worth it. It all depends on the platform and vehicle you are talking about.

What car are you talking about?
The Australian truggy champion won with a stock standard v spec in August.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Funking-Awesome
The Australian truggy champion won with a stock standard v spec in August.
Exactly my point.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have owned and raced the Associated RC8 and the Losi 8 and 8t and now I own both the HB D8 and DBT, and I my opinion the "cheaper" HB stuff is every bit as good as the "expensive" stuff. As said before most of it is driving ability then comes the stuff you using in it ie: motor and radio gear, and SET UP. I will personally never buy the expensive stuff again as I at my level dont notice enough difference in from the "expensive" to the "cheap". The advantage to buying the expensive stuff is the fact that most people are running them at the local tracks so parts availabilty is better than the cheaper stuff, most of the time. Buy what suits YOUR needs and dont follow the crowd. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

in my opinion, there is no such thing as a cheap buggy, you may feel its a cheap deal upfront but after upgrading every weak part it ends up costing you same or more than the "expensive stuff" at the cost of days and weeks of waiting and not being able to enjoy yourself at the track. I've learned that the hard way!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Prophet

i got a losi eight 1.0b the only thing i had to replace was the rear hub hidge pin and a radio tray stiffer and some shock o rings i already had good servos and not $100 that u dont need for a 1/8 buggy
Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

I fill that a persons descion should be based on quality and not price.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Take all the guess work out of it and get an 8ight T Losi or nothing.....you'll see
Old 11-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xBRxSAIGON
Take all the guess work out of it and get an 8ight T Losi or nothing.....you'll see
On every post all you say is get a Losi. How about actually trying to help a person. We get it, your a Losi fanboy. Have you even tried another vehicle other then a Losi.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

It depends on what cheap or expensive car your talking about.

The Kyosho rtr's suck point blank, and they're cheap. I've seen a Kyosho get T-boned on the straight and little parts flew everywhere. Broke like a cheap car, but is expensive.

Be a little more specific man. You could also visit the threads of whatever cheap or expensive cars you are thinking about purchasing and read up on what people's experiences have been.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You cleverly knock Kyosho by pointing out an example involving a RTR version. In all my years of racing I have never seen multiple parts fly off any car in a crash so I guess that makes you the privilaged one.
Yes Kyosho is more expensive than the other brands but they are also the only ones that are made in Japan (the pro versions at least) and we all know the quality of Japanese products. The cost also comes from the fact that they don't exploit cheap labour from poorer countries.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Telling it as I see it smelly.
Edit: It was the first example I came up with. Sorry I hurt the feelings of Kyosho drivers
Old 11-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

My cousin races with a Sportwerks Turmoil and hasn't broken anything.

You have to decide on a short term budget and a long term budget. If you are new to the hobby, I completely understand not wanting to unload a grand up front, and figure out you don't like the hobby.

I would recommend buying a couple of good servo's ($100), A decent engine ($150), a half way decent radio ($100). Then if you still want a cheaper buggy, try a cheaper buggy. At least you will have the main stuff out of the way, and you can use them if you decide to upgrade.

I would at least by a decent buggy though. Maybe look for a used MBX5 or 8ight 1.0.

The fact is, you get what you pay for, it applies to everything retail. If you go the cheap route, you will end up at the track and have a bad day when something breaks.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by shanty140
On every post all you say is get a Losi. How about actually trying to help a person. We get it, your a Losi fanboy. Have you even tried another vehicle other then a Losi.
+1 hard core fanboi!Dude will post in any thread just so he can say losi this or that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.