Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
LOSI EIGHT RTR PROBLEM!  Almost Ready to get out of RC due to this!!!! >

LOSI EIGHT RTR PROBLEM! Almost Ready to get out of RC due to this!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOSI EIGHT RTR PROBLEM! Almost Ready to get out of RC due to this!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry LOSI EIGHT RTR PROBLEM!

Okay, let me start off by saying that I have a Losi eight rtr. Here are where my problems begin. I raced this past weekend and developed a new problem. Well, our track down here in Louisiana is EXTREMELY dusty and my losi eight has started to make a loud squeeking noise at the bearings inside the hub / carrier assembly. So I think, no problem, I'll just pull the hubs off, do some cleaning, and possibly order some new bearings. WRONG! The tiny set cap screws that release the hub pins are ALL STRIPPED from the factory!!! My brand new hex key couldn't get a bit of grip after making sure all dirt was cleaned out before even touching them. Not on one of them could I get a bit of bite! I looked down in there with a light and they appear to be rounded out. Thanks Losi!!

So where does this leave me? $116 worth of parts to buy because losi tighened the crap out of the set screws and left them completely stripped out. I am a student and I do not have $116 to spend just cause losi doesn't know how to assemble correctly. I'm still trying to rebound from the $900 - $1000 I spend for all of the items I bought to get racing.

I can tell you that this is the last losi product I'll ever buy. I definitely made a mistake buying the RTR. Has anyone else with the RTR had this problem? Does anyone know a cheaper place than amainhobbies.com where I could get all of the driveshafts / parts since I cannot get these set cap screws out of the hub to release the hub pin? The only thing I haven't tried is drilling the set cap screws out. Would that work? I'm very new to RC'ing and am looking for some direction / help. Thank you for listening to me vent and for any tips that you may have for me.

If it seems like I'll have to spend the $116 I'll have a buggy up for sale CHEAP. Make me an offer.

Sincerely,
Zeteckat

Last edited by zeteckat; 07-01-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

try and use a small EZ out, or a small reversed drill bit, but first heat it up to help with the lock tite....if all else fails bring it to a local hobby shop im sure they can get the set screws out so you dont have to spend all the money....
Old 06-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Zeteckat,

i suggest you call Losi customer service monday morning and calmly explain the problem your so frustrated about. They will help you out and would be surprised if they didn't. For the number look on the website.

maybe they will surprise you and send the parts needed
Old 06-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Lightbulb tools

buy a good set of allen drivers as well,allen keys are crap
Old 06-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Tech Adept

i have the RTR and have not had the same problems you have had but i do advise you to get a set of hex drivers to get the hub pins out i stripped out the the allen key but with my losi hex drivers and some elbow grease i got mine out without stripping out the set screws
Old 06-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll give you $150 for it shipped to Australia.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Do not use the allen wrenches included with the kit, they are soft and will round out your $hit. Buy a good set of wrenches like Losi, Integy, Hudy, RDLogics

it will NOT cost your $116 to fix it lol. When the kits are being assembled, they use loctite and a good set of wrenchs to torque that pin in. Just drill it out, replace the bad bearing (Happens all time time) and get a new set screw.

People tend to buy upgraded bearings for the stress points.. aka all wheels and then the clutch bell bearings.. The set screws usualy can only be taken out a few times before they start to get loose in the wrench.

Losi is one of teh best companys out there. Your problem is a simple easy problem, alot bigger ones are to come. its the part of Gas racing/The hobby
Old 07-01-2007, 02:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have a losi XXX NT rtr and its great, every bit as good as my Drake 2. You have to have good tools, makes it so much easier.
I know it can be frustration but thats rc. Back in the 80,s everything use to fall off or break . Phone Losi i hope they can help you and have a little patience. Good luck..
Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes i agree with the others. it is kinda difficult to spend what you did to get in, to then only find out, that you need to spend more to protect your investment. and then to top it off your local hooby shop doesn't know better to tell you that, since they are all high school kids on summer break. they are worried about where the party is friday and saturday night to see what ultra hot girl will shot them down next. thus you suffer. before you drill them out do try taking your car to the local track and see if the shop can help you remove the set scews. no sense in buying easy out tools too. also yes call Losi and let them know of your troubles. also heat the screws up with your g/f blow dryer for like 5 min. and try to remove them, if they dont come out, before you do more damage and end spending even more on parts take it to the track and let them help you out.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree, the included allen wrenches will screw up your screws
Losi service is great too, but you should aprroach your complaints differently,
I have rounded out allen screws on the first try, especially locktighted ones
Dont let this first experience frustrate you, your wrenching skillz will improve in time!
You could check Bmainhobbies.com they have gobs of losi parts, great prices, fast shipping and awesome customer service
Old 07-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have the same problem...i bought my 8ight slightly used and noticed that my right rear cvd was slightly bend so I bought new ones and tryed to change it just to find out that the set screw is totally rounded out!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Rookie

hey all,

Thank you for the responses. I do apologize for the frustrated comments I made. I just needed some time to cool off. Next time I won't post right after I'm done working on the car and am that frustrated.

Okay, I'll try to bring it to the track / local hobby shop to see if anyone might be able to help me. If not, I'll try to drill them out or get hold of an easy-out. I am definitely going to invest in a good set of drivers!

The only problem with calling losi is that I bought it new off of ebay. While being factory sealed, I'm not sure if they will honor any warranty since I may not have bought it from one of their distributed retailers. Do you know if they have this kind of policy? I'm going to check it out in the mean time.

Thank you again, and I'll let you all know of the outcome!

Last edited by zeteckat; 07-01-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zeteckat
hey all,

Thank you for the responses. I do apologize for the frustrated comments I made. I just needed some time to cool off. Next time I won't post right after I'm done working on the car and am that frustrated.

Okay, I'll try to bring it to the track / local hobby shop to see if anyone might be able to help me. If not, I'll try to drill them out or get hold of an easy-out. I am definitely going to invest in a good set of drivers!

The only problem with calling losi is that I bought it new off of ebay. While being factory sealed, I'm not sure if they will honor any warranty since I may not have bought it from one of their distributed retailers. Do you know if they have this kind of policy? I'm going to check it out in the mean time.

Thank you again, and I'll let you all know of the outcome!
I would still try to give them a call. When I bought my adam drake 2 when it first came out, there was actually a missing bag of parts. I called, they asked me what bag specifically, and sent me one right away. They didn't even ask for anything special like that. I had the parts around 3-4 days later. You may be surprised so I would still go for it.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

same thing happened to the owner of our track with his RTR 8, all the screws had so much loctite on them he had to drill them out and/or ezout them, I think losi took care of the parts though but still a pain in the ass. he couldnt even get the wheels of his lol
Old 07-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Well i know for one I will be interested to hear what losi is gonna do for ya because i am seriously considering the newly released losi truggy rtr roller for my next r/c. So im kinda curious as well. But Ive heard soo many positve things about losi's products that i think they should take care of it also. I hope they do help ya out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.