Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are truggies so ugly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Colors_By_Dave
When the rules changed to allow bodies that don't cover the rear shock tower, all bets were off. Any design goes, and "resembling a production vehicle" was lost.
So is a buggy body on a truggy (er trUglie) RoAR legal?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
I get a kick out of the 'resembling a production vehicle' rule I can't think of any off road RC truggy that looks like a production anything

Rules should focus less on looks and more on technical things that relate to performance.
Did you look at my pics? Fairly accurate body... but yeah, the wheels stick out and it has a wing. And my body passes the shock tower- although I have holes for the top of the tower.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Did you look at my pics? Fairly accurate body... but yeah, the wheels stick out and it has a wing. And my body passes the shock tower- although I have holes for the top of the tower.
I thought your truggy was a revo at first!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I like the new style bodies. If you want a comparison to real cars heres a truggy

and the buggy conterpart
Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

DOMIT, I did have a look at it, and it looks good. I know that there are accurate looking bodies out there, but none of them come on a truggy when you purchase a truggy kit, or RTR and there are no aftermarket truggy specific bodies that resemble a full scale production truck either, so I don't know how ROAR can enforce( if they enforce it ) such a rule at this point.

Originally Posted by DezSlash
I like the new style bodies. If you want a comparison to real cars heres a truggy

and the buggy conterpart
That doesn't look at all like a truggy to me...where's the pan chassis, and the extra wide arms, independent rear suspension and oversize rims and tires ? Again, a truggy did not spawn from full scale racing, it spawned from RCs, so comparing it to a full scale race truck makes no sense at all. Besides, the full scale version doesn't really resemble a production truck body either.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Exactly my point. They dont. Show me a "production" or an 1:1 that looks like a buggy. There is none. The newer bodys promote better airflow over the body to the wing and to the cooling heads with out having to have a hole in the front of the window.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Addict

I don't care that much about how truggies look, all I care is about performance. I have the JConcepts Punisher body and I have to admit when the Losi first came out I really didn't like the look but since the most important thing to me is performance and there is and advantage then I'm going to use it.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

The Losi body is totally functional. All other brands either have or will probably follow suit soon enough.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Semple
The Losi body is totally functional. All other brands either have or will probably follow suit soon enough.
+1

I don't have mine yet, but I think you're right
Old 10-21-2009, 01:30 AM
H9
Tech Adept

Looks-wise, I still reckon Hobao got it right with the ST Pro

The rails on the back break up the 'flat deck' look, which in my opinion looks ugly on the Losi - functional or not!

And I find it hard to believe that the shape of the shell will make that much of a difference to the handling for 95% of us! If it did, why is it that I can still qualify so well against the current crop of truggies (and similarly skilled drivers) with my ageing ST?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by H9
Looks-wise, I still reckon Hobao got it right with the ST Pro

The rails on the back break up the 'flat deck' look, which in my opinion looks ugly on the Losi - functional or not!

And I find it hard to believe that the shape of the shell will make that much of a difference to the handling for 95% of us! If it did, why is it that I can still qualify so well against the current crop of truggies (and similarly skilled drivers) with my ageing ST?
..in a sport where racers are doing there best to shave off a gram here, or a gram there in order to lose weight or lower your COG, the new style bodies should make some kind of difference. Let me ask you this, do you paint your own bodies? If so, then you know how heavy it can get, now all that weight sits up very high on my RC8T, effectively raising the COG..the 8ight T 2.0 style bodies help to lower this weight, which should be noticeable.

Last edited by NitroFreakManHo; 10-21-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think the Shift is a great looking body and resembles a race truck. Definitely the way I'll be going.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

+1
Old 10-21-2009, 05:47 PM
H9
Tech Adept

..in a sport where racers are doing there best to shave off a gram here, or a gram there in order to lose weight or lower your COG, the new style bodies should make some kind of difference. Let me ask you this, do you paint your own bodies? If so, then you know how heavy it can get, now all that weight sits up very high on my RC8T, effectively raising the COG..the 8ight T 2.0 style bodies help to lower this weight, which should be noticeable.
Yeah I don't disagree with that. But I do quietly laugh at racers who try and save weight in all sorts of various ways, whereas if they spent as much time learning how to drive better....! One crash or rollover loses all the time you might have gained with a truggy that is 100gms lighter than the heavier one that passes you while on your roof!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
I think the Shift is a great looking body and resembles a race truck. Definitely the way I'll be going.
Proline jumped on the bandwagon with the "sperm cell" bodies:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.