Wiki Posts
Search

Pivoting the buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Pivoting the buggy

Guys, check out this video and watch on Maifield pivots his buggy around the corners. How do you make your car pivot like that? Is he breaking the rear tires loose with a quick squeeze of the throttle as he enters the corner or is it a natural result of his corner speed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJrI...layer_embedded
Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by petevette
Guys, check out this video and watch on Maifield pivots his buggy around the corners. How do you make your car pivot like that? Is he breaking the rear tires loose with a quick squeeze of the throttle as he enters the corner or is it a natural result of his corner speed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJrI...layer_embedded
My guess is rear brake bias. Hard to drive like that- it takes some serious skills to be that smooth.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think he's just breaking and flicking the car around in the corner. Rather than the "high in, low out" he's just keeping it close to the pipe the entire time, breaking, flicking the car around so it is pointed in exactly the right direction before he even throttles it.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Champion

Looks like a blu groove high grip track to me with a good setup and good driveing.

All the cars in that vid seem to rotate fast.

The track conditions have alot to do with that vid. Going to look alot different on dusty dirt.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 10-13-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To me it looks like drifting. I see him going into the corner and then bringing the back around with the throttle.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Addict

Yea, it looks pritty slick there tbh.. which is odd as it looks pritty grippy.. But I would say hes drifting.. maybe some slightly less grippy rear to get the rear round faster.. as they come onto the straight you can see all the cars pushing a fair bit.. so looks like a bit of ye old drifting..
Old 10-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I raced at that event and I can tell you there was tons of traction during the main. It felt more like on road racing then off road. Personally, I think throttle has something to do with it not to mention that he is probably running harder tires in the rear to allow the car to pivot easier.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I think he's pivoting the buggy like that with more rear brake bias. If you watch the electric buggy it doesn't pivot as much probably because there is no brake bias on the electric.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I watched it again, closer this time. Seems like he uses some variation of the Scandinavian flick in the hairpins.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thats trail braking, You use a light apply of the breaks and then slightly turn in, works great on smooth high bite but usually causes traction rolls on rough tracks.
Looking at the video more hes usuing a few diffrent techniques
Another is a scandanavian flick, in wich you turn the oppisit way of the turn to load the outside times before turning into the corner this works really well in the high speed corners where you need as much traction as possible.
The last is pure throttle on oversteer but using the elevation changes to get the car going where he wants.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Yea.. looks a bit or brake and bit of drift.. must be..

Last edited by jamiekerr14; 10-13-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

That's sick driving. It definitely looks like some sort of drifting to me. I just can't tell if it's induced by the brakes or throttle.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

I think that was earlier morning hours when the moisture/ due was up on the track and it was a bit slick. Cars don't rotate like that on a highbite track. It was for sure slick and the reason he was pushing out on the straight-away was the fact that he was under steering on the slick surface on power.
To rotate like that is just quick flips of the brakes with the wheels turned slightly to get the rear to rotate and then control it with throttle and steering imputs.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont think he would be so fast through the corners if he was using the brakes. That is all incredible throttle control. Thats why he is so fast he stays in it where others are coasting through or on the brakes.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
I dont think he would be so fast through the corners if he was using the brakes. That is all incredible throttle control. Thats why he is so fast he stays in it where others are coasting through or on the brakes.
Yes, this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.