Glow plug ignitor: Whats the best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glow plug ignitor: Whats the best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

I have the super hot shot. it deosn't stay 5000 mah for long.

I hacked the charge plug off of that gay outlet charger that came with it and soldered it to the charger squid on my 0606i so I can cycle charge it as needed. Or quick charge it. (never done that)

At least with the others you can just unscrew them and replace the battery. I prefere the ones without gauges. the gauges are fragile and just die anyway.

For real power put a wired Ofna glow driver board on your starter box. I put one inside of my Truggy starter box so only the wires and ignitor hang out. You just have to make sure and use a god strong lipo like 4s 5000mah. If you use a lead acid battery the ignitor dims too much when your cranking.

I mount it inside, solder the output wires to the board so I don't have to use unreliable bannana plugs, set it once, and use a clamp to hold the driver wires so if they get snagged on something they won't rip out of the box.

Turbo plugs usually need a higher setting.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...anel-for-10250

Last edited by Zerodefect; 09-30-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: TAG body spray got in my eyes.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would buy one of the HotShot ignitors. They are cheaper then others and is simply better. I have bought 2 of the metered ignitors and never will again. I have had plugs that no longer work yet I get a reading that they are fine. And the meter has always broke with a month anyways. Many of my friends go through the exact same thing. So get a Hot Shot without a doubt.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sonictronics/McDaniel glo lighters are the bomb! I can't say enough about them. They are very similar to the Hobbico Hotshots but the Sonictronics have a meter which I prefer. Don't let the fact that they use ni-cad batterys scare you either. They last months before needing a recharge.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Any love for the trinity enduro. I have been thinking about gettin this one for quite some time.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Love my Super Hot Shot 2, got a couple of almost new metered Dynamites that's going to ebay
Old 10-01-2009, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dishsoap
Any love for the trinity enduro. I have been thinking about gettin this one for quite some time.

I would stay away from anything that has a removable battery. The Trinity looks like a rebadged Racer's edge 4400 except it comes with an intellect battery. I have 2 of the Racer's edge ignitors and I even changed the batterys out to Intellects and they still won't last a day at the track.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think for the price i will go with the hot shot 2, but i'm not a big fan of the push and twist style. The one i had was the same style and would not lock on to my turbo plug. So before i order the hot shot 2 i want to make sure that it will fit the plug!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

and thats why your LHS comes in handy! You can take ur car there and test it to see if it fits good
Old 10-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Talking

Bad thing is closest hobby shop is 70 miles away, and that shop is only open thursday, friday and saturday. There is a hobbytown about 85 miles away, so for the cost of driving i can buy the ignitor, thats why i depend on the pro's (you guys) for help.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bgballin26
Bad thing is closest hobby shop is 70 miles away, and that shop is only open thursday, friday and saturday. There is a hobbytown about 85 miles away, so for the cost of driving i can buy the ignitor, thats why i depend on the pro's (you guys) for help.
Amain hobbies
Old 10-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Any thoughts on the towerhobbies brand AA slim glow starter? The purple anodized one...

I am thinking of getting it over the big stock associated one for my GT2...

Would post link, but under limit. Just search "Tower Hobbies AA Slim Glow Starter" on towerhobbies...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by infinitethrill
Any thoughts on the towerhobbies brand AA slim glow starter? The purple anodized one...

I am thinking of getting it over the big stock associated one for my GT2...

Would post link, but under limit. Just search "Tower Hobbies AA Slim Glow Starter" on towerhobbies...

I use that one as a backup to my hotshot. It works well IF you have a good AA in it but it doesn't last long
Old 10-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
Amain hobbies
If he buys it from amain and it does not fit his plug, they will not take it back once he opens it..I am currently in a dispute with amain as they had these "new" 4 hole pistons listed under the XRAY 808 parts. I ordered 4 sets of them at $7 a set..Turns out that they are not 808 shock pistons, they are for a different car with much smaller shocks. Even though it was their fault for listing them in the wrong place they are saying they wont give me a refund because I opened the bag
Old 10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Thats good information to know..I for sure want a ignitor that will fit my turbo plug, like i said my last ignitor did not fit, and it was a pain starting my car!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

Twist lock style glow lighters do not fit turbo plugs very well. I just push down and don't worry about actually locking it on to the plug. Still lights just as good....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.