Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Spektrum in a 3pk can't be beat
Old 09-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am currently running a DX3S. Personally I have never used the M11 so cant really comment on it.

What I can say about the DX3S is that it is light, has awesome feel, fits in the hand perfectly and the telemetry does work if you experiment with it a little.

I only use the heat sensor. I had to move it to to a different position to where the manual says (3rd heat sink from bottom insteat of underneath the heat sinks which is where the manual says to put it) and it now consistently reads same as my heat gun.

Also good how it tells you the voltage of both radio and receiver batteries.

Yes the telemetry doesnt work when the buggy is over 100 meters away, not constantly anyway and I also dont like the plastic aeriel, would prefer the rubber one that is on the DX2.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
I use a m11 but i got to molest a M11x and it's nice. Lighter but still balanced. comes with a rechargeable pack, not a lipo but doesn't really matter unless you get hung up on stuff like that. It has a cool feature when you switch your cars it will failsafe till the model is selected. If i was getting a new radio that would be it ! The dx3r is alright i have used it but it just has a cheap feel and the brake isn't as nice. A M11 gives that hand to car connection like no other.

+1 simple as that
Old 09-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sperera
I am currently running a DX3S. Personally I have never used the M11 so cant really comment on it.

What I can say about the DX3S is that it is light, has awesome feel, fits in the hand perfectly and the telemetry does work if you experiment with it a little.

I only use the heat sensor. I had to move it to to a different position to where the manual says (3rd heat sink from bottom insteat of underneath the heat sinks which is where the manual says to put it) and it now consistently reads same as my heat gun.

Also good how it tells you the voltage of both radio and receiver batteries.

Yes the telemetry doesnt work when the buggy is over 100 meters away, not constantly anyway and I also dont like the plastic aeriel, would prefer the rubber one that is on the DX2.
Forgot to mention I run my DX3S with 1/8 nitro buggy and 1/5 petrol buggy (Baja Clone) and works perfect with them both. Also switch between the two models in a second, can store up to 4 models per radio. Not sure if the M11 does this but thought it was worth a mention.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I have had my m11x for about 2 months now, great radio. It is very crisp, I really did not think I would notice a difference vs my 3pk in hrs but you can really feel the response in shrs mode with digital servos. I dont really know if the m11x is the fastest radio out there but airtronics claims that it is, for anyone who cares.I have owned the original m11 and the X is definitely lighter and more balanced. As far as a regulator with a 2s receiver pack goes I am not going to say it wont fail, but I have been running mine unregulated since day 1. NO issues. Its a risk I am willing to take. So far all is very good. As for the dx3r, I cant say anything because I have never owned one.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpz_67
I have had my m11x for about 2 months now, great radio. It is very crisp, I really did not think I would notice a difference vs my 3pk in hrs but you can really feel the response in shrs mode with digital servos. I dont really know if the m11x is the fastest radio out there but airtronics claims that it is, for anyone who cares.I have owned the original m11 and the X is definitely lighter and more balanced. As far as a regulator with a 2s receiver pack goes I am not going to say it wont fail, but I have been running mine unregulated since day 1. NO issues. Its a risk I am willing to take. So far all is very good. As for the dx3r, I cant say anything because I have never owned one.
+1 on m11x except the price ...
Old 09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

I own the M11 with the 2.4 FHSS-2 system. I have used a DX3R.

I didn't like that the DX3R feels like a controller from an R/C car from Toys "R" Us. When you push the trigger into the brake position the spring tension is way too stiff, and there is no adjustment for it. I didn't like how stiff the steering wheel was either. The scroll button on the DX3R is also a weak spot. I've seen it break a few times.

I don't like the new way you have to scroll through the menu on the M11, I liked the M8 better. I feel that the M11 is better on everything else though.

Honestly you could get the M11 with the 2.4 FHSS-2 system and you would be fine. You could get it at Hobby People on sale for $200 on occasion.

If you really want to spend the money though then get yourself the M11x.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jpz_67
Man, keep us posted. If the M11x can handle Lipo unregulated longterm, then I may have found my next radio...............
Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All anybody needs to do is look at what radios the top Pros run...and you will see its Airtronics.
The M11X is THE standard for modern transmitters.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

I own a DR3R, a M8 and M11x and I have demo'd the 4pk.

The M11 was my radio until I tried a DX last summer, I brought the 3R and never looked back. Its light, it takes four batteries and if you use the lithium batts they will last forever. Its the FASTEST radio on the market but it do have its flaws.

The M11 is just so darn heavy and in my opinion complicated, the DX3R is just so much easier to operate.

The 4PK is a great radio just $$$$$$$
Old 09-22-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

I got the chance to fondle a DX3S and felt that it was much more comfortable than the DX3R. They changed the grip and the trigger plus the obvious steering wheel change. If they would change the DX3R to the same case as the DX3S I would probably buy one.

I really wanted a radio purposely built for 2.4ghz. I bought the DX3R but couldnt get over the cheap feel of it and switched back to a KO Helios with their 2.4ghz system but unfortunately at a big race this winter the KO 2.4ghz module kept losing its bind and left me scrambling around the pits for a Spektrum system. I was able to get what I needed (module and 2 receivers) for less than the cost of one KO receiver. I sold the KO receivers after the race and made my money back and have been using the Spektrum system since.

(disclaimer KO would have fixed the problem I had with their system but I had modified the module for the antenna to come out the original antenna hole therefore they wouldnt repair it for me)

Ive had nothing but good experiences with the Spektrum stuff but just cant get over the cheap feel of the DX3R so I am stuck with what I have until something new comes along. I love the feel of the Helios but really wish they would come out with a new one with the 2.4ghz stuff built in like they did with the M11X.

The M11X is really nice and I fondled one of them too. The steering wheel is awesome probably the best one Ive felt but the grip isnt as comfortable for me and in just a few minutes holding it my hand starts to hurt. Even though the radio is a good bit lighter than the old M11 it still feels too heavy for me. This probably isnt a problem for most but I am an auto mechanic and am starting to get arthritis in my hands. Not being lipo safe is a deal breaker for me also. Ive made the switch to lipo rx packs and dont ever want to go back.

The 4pk has a great feel to it but after all the trouble Ive seen with guys running the FASST system there is no way I would spend the money on it. Its a real shame how they've handled the problem. Even a local dealer I know who had problems was lied to when he called to get it resolved. He has since stopped carrying Futaba stuff in his store because they refuse to acknowledge even having a problem.

If I were you I think I would go with the DX3R as long as its comfortable for you. You cant beat the price or customer service at Spektrum. If you have any problems they will fix or replace it free and quickly. Ive bought 2 DX3Rs just because of that but couldnt get used to the feel and went back to my trusty Helios. If they come out with a R in the S case I'm gonna try a 3rd time because they say the 3rd time is the charm
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

I've had a Futaba 3PM, a 3PK, a DX3R and finaly an M11 2.4Ghz
and if I had known how much better the M11 was from the beginning, i wouldn't have wasted any money on any of the others...
It's the first radio i've had where i can actualy modulate the brakes!
don't let anyone try and convince you that the weight is a handicap because it isn't! The weight seems to be idealy distributed on your hand honestly, I ordered a neck strap but i never used it! lol
anyone that knocks this remote simply didn't get the time to fully appreciate it!
Drake Truhe Mayfield Cavaleri = M11 coincidence?
I don't think so!
Mayfield was running a 4pk for a while but guess what he's back with the M11x.