Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1/8 vehicles, have they killed the RC industry? >

1/8 vehicles, have they killed the RC industry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 vehicles, have they killed the RC industry?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
1/8th scale CAR $2000
TIRES $100 A SET

add some rain and 1/10th E kills all....
$100 a set for 1/8th tires??
mounted on gold plated rims or what???
Old 08-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

1/8th scale CAR $2000
TIRES $100 A SET

Originally Posted by karnao
$100 a set for 1/8th tires??
mounted on gold plated rims or what???

Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

1/8th scale CAR $2000
TIRES $100 A SET

must be a electric guy. I think he is confused what a 1/8 scale is has to be thinking of 1/5 or 1/4 scale LOL
Old 08-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

1/8th scale CAR $2000
TIRES $100 A SET

My fully souped up 8ight 2.0 with everything new and ready to race 1300-1400 bucks

a set of tires 60 bucks.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 1/8 NITRO

Not that I have anything against electric or 1/10th scale but if it was not for 1/8th nitro I would never have started racing rc cars. The sound of an engine, the smell of fuel its a great time. As far as the price it is expensive but what isn't now days. My daughter rides a 4 wheeler $3500 my 6 yr old son ktm 50 $3000, my 9 yr old son ktm 65 & 85 $7500, my wife raptor 350 $4500 and myself YZ 250 $6000. I run a Jammin truggy & buggy. I know when I bought my new x2 truggy I spent $525 on kit, aprox. $250 on upgrades( king headz radio tray, kh rear & front hubs, fioroni clutch, etc.) JR 9100s, 9100t APROX. $250, $90 futaba receiver, $100 transponder, GRP .28 engine $350, JP4 & DYN 086 pipe aprox. $120 so aprox. $1700 for a full set up if you already have transmitter an abundance of tires and spare parts. Much cheaper then motorcycles by the time you include riding gear and everthing else. I believe 1/8 scale has done nothing to the hobby except make it more competetive, more fun, more reliable and longer runtimes.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Tech Prophet

i know in my area 1/8 and slash now has been booming in pa ,1/10 elec and espially gas are pretty much dead at the track i race at i mean we do get about 5 of them that the locals have but thats it slash is the king now in 1/10 its just cheaper,i would say 1/8 isnt killing the rc industry at all although these servos they are selling now for $100 or more is just relicous
i used cheaper dingal servos and haveint had any servos go bad on me.
as for the espn no them fools rather out dam golf on their rather then have ours which is 10 more exiting then that crap screw them fools at espn
Old 08-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know personally I got out of RC racing when I was racing 1/10 Nitro TC, and was spending more money, and more time replacing parts that would break if I hit an ant, then I spent using those parts.

I quit about 4 years ago, and have slowly been getting back into the hobby with the 1/8th scale buggy class.

In florida, if you can't find a club race at 20 different tracks once a week, then you aren't looking hard enough. Our Florida State Off Road Series, went from a 100 entry max per race, and single day turnout. To what is now almost 300 racers per race and it is now a 2 day race. Once a month for 9-10 months. Different tracks different locations all throughout florida. What does that equal? Economy boost off 300 people + families + cash money. Hotel rooms, dining, the wife/gf needing to buy a Coach purse to justify the weekend a good cause... etc. 1/8th scale to me is what is keeping RC alive right now.

Bringing in more people into the hobby because of the bigger, more durable, louder, and more fun "toys" if you will. 1/8 scale E offroad is fine, but me I cant deal with silence. I need to hear mills and pipes sing down a front stretch, and a nice throttle burp in the air to correct the landing. I want to go into the bathroom after a day of racing and wonder if I am going to use deoderant or nitro fuel because it smells so damn sexy.

I have found a new love for RC again, my dad at 60 years young sees all the fun I am having, so he is now going to be running my old MBX5R in the FSORS races so we can spend more time together, and bond.

ALL-in-ALL 1/8th scale I believe is not ruining RC, just making it bigger, faster, funner, and better. If RC ever had a chance to go onto ESPN, SPEED TV, or other networks now is the time, or the years to come. Americans love fast/loud things, and lots of excitement. If you don't get excited watching a youtube video of the Psycho Nitro Blast 1/8 scale, then you my friend need to pick up the art of widdiling wood.

/Rant
Old 08-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tristyn
Not that I have anything against electric or 1/10th scale but if it was not for 1/8th nitro I would never have started racing rc cars. The sound of an engine, the smell of fuel its a great time. As far as the price it is expensive but what isn't now days. My daughter rides a 4 wheeler $3500 my 6 yr old son ktm 50 $3000, my 9 yr old son ktm 65 & 85 $7500, my wife raptor 350 $4500 and myself YZ 250 $6000. I run a Jammin truggy & buggy. I know when I bought my new x2 truggy I spent $525 on kit, aprox. $250 on upgrades( king headz radio tray, kh rear & front hubs, fioroni clutch, etc.) JR 9100s, 9100t APROX. $250, $90 futaba receiver, $100 transponder, GRP .28 engine $350, JP4 & DYN 086 pipe aprox. $120 so aprox. $1700 for a full set up if you already have transmitter an abundance of tires and spare parts. Much cheaper then motorcycles by the time you include riding gear and everthing else. I believe 1/8 scale has done nothing to the hobby except make it more competetive, more fun, more reliable and longer runtimes.

Originally Posted by Euro Stealth
I know personally I got out of RC racing when I was racing 1/10 Nitro TC, and was spending more money, and more time replacing parts that would break if I hit an ant, then I spent using those parts.

I quit about 4 years ago, and have slowly been getting back into the hobby with the 1/8th scale buggy class.

In florida, if you can't find a club race at 20 different tracks once a week, then you aren't looking hard enough. Our Florida State Off Road Series, went from a 100 entry max per race, and single day turnout. To what is now almost 300 racers per race and it is now a 2 day race. Once a month for 9-10 months. Different tracks different locations all throughout florida. What does that equal? Economy boost off 300 people + families + cash money. Hotel rooms, dining, the wife/gf needing to buy a Coach purse to justify the weekend a good cause... etc. 1/8th scale to me is what is keeping RC alive right now.

Bringing in more people into the hobby because of the bigger, more durable, louder, and more fun "toys" if you will. 1/8 scale E offroad is fine, but me I cant deal with silence. I need to hear mills and pipes sing down a front stretch, and a nice throttle burp in the air to correct the landing. I want to go into the bathroom after a day of racing and wonder if I am going to use deoderant or nitro fuel because it smells so damn sexy.

I have found a new love for RC again, my dad at 60 years young sees all the fun I am having, so he is now going to be running my old MBX5R in the FSORS races so we can spend more time together, and bond.

ALL-in-ALL 1/8th scale I believe is not ruining RC, just making it bigger, faster, funner, and better. If RC ever had a chance to go onto ESPN, SPEED TV, or other networks now is the time, or the years to come. Americans love fast/loud things, and lots of excitement. If you don't get excited watching a youtube video of the Psycho Nitro Blast 1/8 scale, then you my friend need to pick up the art of widdiling wood.
/Rant
I use to play tournament paintball and craved that rush playing it. Due to some issues, i got out of it and found that 1/8 scale rc gave me that rush again!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Prophet

i think rc racing whould have a better chance on getting on the speed channel then espn ,if u remember they did have a video clip on windtunnel
and had a caller talking about his club to promote it
Old 08-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I was into 1/10 when I was a teenager... and dropped it when I got into HS and used my money on other things. I only got back into it because I saw the 1/8 truggies running at a local track. If I didn't find a track, I wouldn't have spent any money whatsoever. Word to the LHS .... tracks sell product.

Someone should maybe contact Speed to maybe tape the ROAR regionals and nationals then throw it on TV to see how it flies. I mean, Speed put on that stupid Unique Whips show for like 4 seasons, why wouldn't they try some R/C racing.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
My fully souped up 8ight 2.0 with everything new and ready to race 1300-1400 bucks

a set of tires 60 bucks.

I could spend even less , but I support my local race facilities with a passion....
Old 08-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your LHS sells a set of 1/8th buggy tires for $100? Even the full retail on AKA premounts is $80.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I played tournament paintball when I left RC the first time.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

You guys ever watch Speed T.V. a show called Lucas Oils On the Edge i have a friend that works for Lucas Oils and they have been talking about putting some Rc Racing on TV some Off Road Buggy and Truggy and some 1/8 Dirt Oval.
The Dirt Oval is the Big one for them as you guys that watch the show know they put a bunch of the Real Dirt Oval cars on there show. If all of use guys would email http://www.lucasoil.com/contact/ and tell them we would like to see some Rc Racing on t.v. we might get some .
Old 08-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Addict

First of all, this is just my opinion:

1/8th scale has brought ALOT of racers to RC just because of the "cool" factor. (they are plain bad ass)

One thing I want to point out. To me this is a Sport/and to some it is a hobby. It is both, it just depends how you approach it.

The main thing that i believe would help the Sport/Hobby would be a "League" that would set race guidelines and general rules to help all tracks new and old to have some sort of continuity. I am not talking about point series etc. One of the main things around my area and surrounding states is we do not just race at different tracks, its always a different program. Qual points, rocket round, different heat times, different main times........

This would just be a general set a rules to follow and make each tracks racing a industry standard. You cannot let the racers run the races, it always becomes a pissing match over EVERYTHING!!! If I knew i was going to drive 5 hrs away (which happens often) and I already knew what I was getting into it would help me make my decisions on when and where to go.

I drove 5 hours to a track once, after arriving on friday night for practice and I was there for 20 min, they said "track is closed" It was 7 pm?? There were 40 plus racers there ready to practice. Tracks need to open on every friday night if they expect racers to travel, this is a "no brainer" to me.

Tracks seem to want everyones money, but very few tracks show that they actually appreciate us even coming. This is racing, so ven club races should give out plaques etc. Most trophies can be made for as little a $5 each. Give us something to race for every weekend.

Every track should have Sportsman class!!!!!!!!!!!, again, a no brainer. For a new racer to be made to run with the fast guys is just plain stupid. Alot of times, the fast guys want the entry fee for the Cash Payout, yet they complain when the new guys won't get out of the way??? I know several racers this year that came out a couple times and then never came back. I searched out tracks that had sport classes and it has helped me move into the pro class, it was fun to run up front, get to run long mains and bring home a trophy now and then, it kept me focused on the ultimate goal which was to move up to the next class. ALOT OF TRACKS MISS THE BOAT ON THIS!! Not to mention, tracks with shops should love sportmans classes cuz they break more parts. LOL Most seasoned racers bring their own gear and parts anyway.

I always hear everyone saying, we need to grow the sport, yet most so nothing to help the new guys. My group has grown from 3 guys to almost a dozen now, most of us being new, we all help each other, we are approachable, and we all travel to events together. If a new guy comes out, the track should have dedicated racers that are willing to help pit or just help the new guys with daily race items. It is alot more fun to go racing with a bunch of friends.

I could keep going, but my I think I have made my points:

Here is my final thoughts.......

I am NOT talking about "RC Pro", I am talking more like "Little League", just a basic rule book and guidelines for racers and tracks.

Now, if we are going to expect more from our tracks, we need to expect to pay more to race!! We have several thousands of $$$ in gear, but expect to only pay $15 to race??? I have no problem paying $20 - $30 as long as I get my money's worth...I am not talking cash payouts etc, just good racing and some run time.

I have just never understood all the "Cash Races", with tough times and tracks just hanging on, to pay out $$$ for RC racing is just silly to me.

Keep the $$$ and put that into the tracks and the quality of racing.

I only wrote this because I am addicted to this great hobby/sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.