Wiki Posts
Search

track driving tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default track driving tips

I would like some driving tips from the expert drivers. I have a problem with blind spots on the track. But really i would like to learn some fundamental technique to help my driving skills.

My main problem is when i am not driving to where i want the buggy to go i tend to oversteer it trying to correct it and get it straight, which causes me alot of crashes and driving at times all over the place. Off power is definitley easier then on power. Should i have a slower and steady hand on the steering wheel?? I tend to make fast adjustments trying to correct. Am i supposed to line the buggy up where i want it to go and pretty much let go of the wheel and trust that it will go straight? Make smoother imputs on the steering wheel?? I got a hang of the throtle, jumps are not a problem. Another problem is i have very limited track time. Maybe a couple hours a week. So i would like to make the most of it, instead of feeling like i am getting nowhere.

but my driving just plain sucks
Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dreaux
let go of the wheel and trust that it will go straight?
I'm not an expert driver but don't be that guy.

Seriously though I've heard that the VR simulator is good for people with limited track time.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slow
I'm not an expert driver but don't be that guy.

Seriously though I've heard that the VR simulator is good for people with limited track time.
really? where do i get that?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Default track

what track have you been racing at? haven't seen you around.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=dreaux;6236350]I would like some driving tips from the expert drivers. I have a problem with blind spots on the track. But really i would like to learn some fundamental technique to help my driving skills.

Well the best thing is track time and when your at the track the key is drive slow and keep the car on the track when you can do that for a while with out a crash then speed it up alittle bit more until you can drive with out crashing. keep repeating this until you get to full speed. speed is not always the answer. you may be fast with no control and that makes you the slowest on the track. control and some speed makes you faster then the other guy that has speed and no control. it all really just takes time some people just pick it up faster then other. Just go out and have fun and it will come to you over time
Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dreaux
really? where do i get that?
http://www.virtualrc.com/
Old 08-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

hmmmmm
Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losiracer78

Well the best thing is track time and when your at the track the key is drive slow and keep the car on the track when you can do that for a while with out a crash then speed it up alittle bit more until you can drive with out crashing. keep repeating this until you get to full speed. speed is not always the answer. you may be fast with no control and that makes you the slowest on the track. control and some speed makes you faster then the other guy that has speed and no control. it all really just takes time some people just pick it up faster then other. Just go out and have fun and it will come to you over time
+1.

Practice is everything. If you don't have much time to practice, you need to make sure that the practice time counts. This means making sure that your car and equipment are good and ready to go before hitting the track. When you're at the track, you need to focus on your driving while youre on the stand and learn something with every tank. Also take some time to see how faster guys are getting around the track. Holding a consistent line and decent corner speed are a lot more important than how much motor you have on the straight.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by brian kadow
hmmmmm
Advice from an expert driver.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 071crazy
+1.

Practice is everything. If you don't have much time to practice, you need to make sure that the practice time counts. This means making sure that your car and equipment are good and ready to go before hitting the track. When you're at the track, you need to focus on your driving while youre on the stand and learn something with every tank. Also take some time to see how faster guys are getting around the track. Holding a consistent line and decent corner speed are a lot more important than how much motor you have on the straight.
good answer, slower is faster in a since and the speed you desire will come along. just keep practicing.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does your radio have an exponetial adjustment? It sounds from what your saying like you could really benefit by running some exponetial in your radio. If you dont know what that is it changes the output from linear to a curve. Dailing in negative expo makes it so that its easier to make smaller outputs around the center but still achieve the same maximum results.

Most pro drivers dont use this but I am a pretty good driver and I use a lot of it. It really helps me smooth out my driving. I can make a slight turn or slight throttle input much easier through the use of the exponetial. In fact I use 50% on steering throttle and brakes.

Ive had many people tell me its bad to use expo that its a crutch. I dont care if its a crutch its helpful to me and often when I advise someone who is having trouble similiar to what your describing they feel it is a big help when they try it.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DPowers
good answer, slower is faster in a since and the speed you desire will come along. just keep practicing.
you guys are right. I need to take it slower rather then trying to go fast and getting frustrated and running all over the track fliping my car over.

And to whoever asked i have been running at the springfield and watson track. whichever is open. Which is about 50% of the time if i am lucky. Damn i want my own track
Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i'm not an expert but i'm a newbie who has learned to control my cars much better than a couple months ago.

1. be super smooth with the steering. the newer buggies are very responsive so smoothness is necessary. you have to learn to be "one with the car" almost as if you're sitting in it. if your buggy starts acting up, don't start going lock-to-lock on the steering. you'll crash for sure. find those sweet spots that your car likes to react to. it's not enough to just drive your car, you must feel it. one of the veterans at my local track says that you can tell apart those people who will be good drivers and those that won't. the good ones drive like they are one with the car and the ones that won't be all that great drive like they're trying to control it.

2. off-throttle is not always the best way to correct from a wobble, drift, or tail-whip. what i've found is if your buggy does something unexpected, get the front wheels pointed to where you want to go and then go on the throttle. but this must be very quick. once the car straightens out, you must also straighten out your steering. just watch the 1:1 drift cars on how they control steering on their cars.

as said by others, drive the car slowly first around the track til you get around it comfortably then start increasing speed. learn to technically analyze the track too. learn the difference between momentum (off-power) and applied force (on-throttle) and learn to divide those forces into vectors in the x,y,z space. then, learn how it'll apply on the track that you're running. it really helps in knowing how the car should be driven around a specific corner combined with elevation changes. (sorry for the technical mumbo jumbo. it's the engineer in me and i don't know how to explain it simpler lol).
Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i always say just slow down and get your driving really tidy things like tight on apexes straight lines through chicanes things like that consistencey wins in the end all the best drivers look like they are going slower than they really are as they are not wasting time and fuel wheelspinning sliding around
Old 08-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by unsp0ken
i'm not an expert but i'm a newbie who has learned to control my cars much better than a couple months ago.

1. be super smooth with the steering. the newer buggies are very responsive so smoothness is necessary. you have to learn to be "one with the car" almost as if you're sitting in it. if your buggy starts acting up, don't start going lock-to-lock on the steering. you'll crash for sure. find those sweet spots that your car likes to react to. it's not enough to just drive your car, you must feel it. one of the veterans at my local track says that you can tell apart those people who will be good drivers and those that won't. the good ones drive like they are one with the car and the ones that won't be all that great drive like they're trying to control it.

2. off-throttle is not always the best way to correct from a wobble, drift, or tail-whip. what i've found is if your buggy does something unexpected, get the front wheels pointed to where you want to go and then go on the throttle. but this must be very quick. once the car straightens out, you must also straighten out your steering. just watch the 1:1 drift cars on how they control steering on their cars.

as said by others, drive the car slowly first around the track til you get around it comfortably then start increasing speed. learn to technically analyze the track too. learn the difference between momentum (off-power) and applied force (on-throttle) and learn to divide those forces into vectors in the x,y,z space. then, learn how it'll apply on the track that you're running. it really helps in knowing how the car should be driven around a specific corner combined with elevation changes. (sorry for the technical mumbo jumbo. it's the engineer in me and i don't know how to explain it simpler lol).
i really like your explaination. And it makes good sense. THe x,y,z was a nice twist!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.