Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Need help shimming my clutch/flywheel please. >

Need help shimming my clutch/flywheel please.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help shimming my clutch/flywheel please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Need help shimming my clutch/flywheel please.

First off, I am trying to prepare the Losi 4 shoe clutch that comes with the truggy race roller.

I have three questions:

1) There were two different shims provided (see picture). I know the small one goes behind the screw cap that screws into the crank shaft. Where does the big one go?

2) I am having trouble getting the bigger bearing into the back of the clutch bell. Any suggestions?

3) What is the optimal setting for shoes and springs on the Losi clutch running the werks B7 engine?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Need help shimming my clutch/flywheel please.-dscf3315.jpg  

Last edited by Garet Jax; 08-12-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
First off, I am trying to prepare the Losi 4 shoe clutch that comes with the truggy race roller.

I have two questions:

1) There were two different shims provided (see picture). I know the small one goes behind the screw cap that screws into the crank shaft. Where does the big one go?

2) I am having trouble getting the bigger bearing into the back of the clutch bell. Any suggestions?

3) What is the optimal setting for shoes and springs on the Losi clutch running the werks B7 engine?

Thanks.

That is 3 question, not 2.

That one goes either behind the flywheel and collet to space the clutch bell out more, or is a rubber seal from the inner clutch bearing. hard to tell from pictures.

2. Put the bearing on the crankshaft and push the clutch bell on and see if that works. I have never had any problems with that, usually the inner clutch bell falls right out.

3. Try 2 blue aluminum/2 carbon with all 4 gold springs. The B7 doesnt have alot of bottom so try running harder springs. So 4 gold or 2 green/2 gold.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
That is 3 question, not 2.
I am holding up two fingers can you guess which one

That one goes either behind the flywheel and collet to space the clutch bell out more, or is a rubber seal from the inner clutch bearing. hard to tell from pictures.

2. Put the bearing on the crankshaft and push the clutch bell on and see if that works. I have never had any problems with that, usually the inner clutch bell falls right out.

3. Try 2 blue aluminum/2 carbon with all 4 gold springs. The B7 doesnt have alot of bottom so try running harder springs. So 4 gold or 2 green/2 gold.
I have tried a few things including WD40, but that bugger still doesn't want to go in.

Ok - I will play around with it a little.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Interesting - your statement about being easy got me to try a different bearing (one I have from Answer RC) and it fit great. In fact I can't get it to stay because of the WD40 oil I put in there
Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Interesting - your statement about being easy got me to try a different bearing (one I have from Answer RC) and it fit great. In fact I can't get it to stay because of the WD40 oil I put in there
What brand bearing wouldnt fit in?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

What brand bearing wouldnt fit in?
The bearing that came with the roller from Horizon.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The bearing that came with the roller from Horizon.
Sounds like the wrong bearing.

As for the B7 not having any bottom... depends what pipe you run. I had one with a JP-1 on it (yeah, maybe a mismatch) but it was like a light switch. Off or spinning tires.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Sounds like the wrong bearing.

As for the B7 not having any bottom... depends what pipe you run. I had one with a JP-1 on it (yeah, maybe a mismatch) but it was like a light switch. Off or spinning tires.
Hey Domit,

Good to see you outside of the thread from hell

It's possible I used the wrong bearing, but highly unlikely since there were only two in the plastic bag and it had the rest of the clutch pieces in there too.

I have matched it up with a 2013 on recommendation from the Werks man himself.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Sounds like you have a Killer combo almost ready to hit the track..have fun with it. I hope you get it all figured out
Old 08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

If that bearing won't go in all the way, it's like maroon or blue right, put it in the best you can assemble the clutch. After you tighten down the screw take everything back off and see if that worked to slide it in the rest of the way.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NitroAmmo
If that bearing won't go in all the way, it's like maroon or blue right, put it in the best you can assemble the clutch. After you tighten down the screw take everything back off and see if that worked to slide it in the rest of the way.
Tried that, but think I damaged the bearing by tightening down too tight.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Sounds like you have a Killer combo almost ready to hit the track..have fun with it. I hope you get it all figured out
Thanks - Once the bearing went in - everything else just fell into place. The clutch /flywheel are on, the gears are meshed, the truggy is almost built and ready to go.

Yay.