Search

IR Temp Gun

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default IR Temp Gun

Hello everyone,

Ok so I got a IR Temp Gun for the weekend. Not that my 1/8 buggy is tuned (BS802T .21CXP) I would like to run a couple of tanks to make sure its not getting too how. According to the manual it shouldnt exceed 132 degrees celcius.

What is the best most accurate way of checking engine temp? Should I run the laser of the head sinks, or the start of exhaust of glow plug???

Any comments are most welcome.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

put the gun as close to the head as possible, then temp at the glow plug
Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by losi_racer
put the gun as close to the head as possible, then temp at the glow plug
Sorry I am new to this but where exactly is the head? Is this the area directly next to the glow plug? Or do I measure it on the side under the head sinks? where there are smaller heat sinks cast into the body of the engine?

Stupid question I know but again this is my first one.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sperera
Sorry I am new to this but where exactly is the head? Is this the area directly next to the glow plug? Or do I measure it on the side under the head sinks? where there are smaller heat sinks cast into the body of the engine?

Stupid question I know but again this is my first one.
no stupid questions, just the people asking them lol JK JK JK, everyone is new at one point, i just wish i knew about rctech when i started racing.

the head is the cooling head, its the part about the block of the engine, there is a hole where you put the glow plug into, thats where you temp from, NOT from the side

the picture is a cooling head, you point the temp gun straight down the BIG hole between the C6 and the RB. not the small 4 holes. its the same place on all engines, Does this help?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by losi_racer
no stupid questions, just the people asking them lol JK JK JK, everyone is new at one point, i just wish i knew about rctech when i started racing.

the head is the cooling head, its the part about the block of the engine, there is a hole where you put the glow plug into, thats where you temp from, NOT from the side

the picture is a cooling head, you point the temp gun straight down the BIG hole between the C6 and the RB. not the small 4 holes. its the same place on all engines, Does this help?

The picture didnt come through but thanks to your excellent description I am confident on how to get an accurate temp.

Basically its the big hole in the centre where the glow plug sites, just off to the side.

I am paraniod of running my engine too hot, am pretty sure its not even getting close to the 130 degree celcius but want to be sure for peace of mind.

Thanks allot, great help.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sperera
The picture didnt come through but thanks to your excellent description I am confident on how to get an accurate temp.

Basically its the big hole in the centre where the glow plug sites, just off to the side.

I am paraniod of running my engine too hot, am pretty sure its not even getting close to the 130 degree celcius but want to be sure for peace of mind.

Thanks allot, great help.
it shouldnt be off to the side, its dead center
Old 07-31-2009, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

What he is telling you is direct it onto the glow plug...... center it will give you the most accurate reading.