Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on a car starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Thoughts on a car starting problem.

Hello all,

When my car is cold, I am able to start it up OK. I use a heatgun on the engine and it seems to start very well.

After I have been running it sometime, it seems to just cut out. I fill the tank up (just to make sure there is lots of gas) aand I am unable to styart it. It turns over great, but won't start. I have removed the glow plug and made sure the ignitor/plug is working and made sure gas seems to bve in the engine, but it just won't start.

When I let it cool down, it seems to start again.

Unfortunately my temp gun is broken so I can't tell you the temperature.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
Hello all,

When my car is cold, I am able to start it up OK. I use a heatgun on the engine and it seems to start very well.

After I have been running it sometime, it seems to just cut out. I fill the tank up (just to make sure there is lots of gas) aand I am unable to styart it. It turns over great, but won't start. I have removed the glow plug and made sure the ignitor/plug is working and made sure gas seems to bve in the engine, but it just won't start.

When I let it cool down, it seems to start again.

Unfortunately my temp gun is broken so I can't tell you the temperature.

Any thoughts?

Hot starts are pretty common on lower end motor's that haven't been treated very nice from the get go....also older all alum body carb's have the tendency to heat up and cause the fuel to vaporize before it can get in the motor.....i would say you are on the hotter side of the tune for the fact you are experiencing hot starts....can you watch the fuel in the fuel tube bounce back from the carb when the issue is happening ?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
Hot starts are pretty common on lower end motor's that haven't been treated very nice from the get go....also older all alum body carb's have the tendency to heat up and cause the fuel to vaporize before it can get in the motor.....i would say you are on the hotter side of the tune for the fact you are experiencing hot starts....can you watch the fuel in the fuel tube bounce back from the carb when the issue is happening ?
I will keep an eye out for it tomorrow. What am I looking for - bubbles moving aaway from the carb in the fuel line?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

It is the engine that came with the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR Buggy.

I was pretty careful when I broke it in. I used the heat cycling method described at the top of the Nitro off Road forums.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

So assuming I did something wrong when I was breaking it in (which is probably a good assumption since this is my first nitro engine), I have a couple questions?

1) What did I do wrong? Did I get the engine too hot? Did I not heat it up enough before starting? Something else? I want to learn from this so I don't make the same mistake again.

2) Is there anything I can do to recover from it? Replace the carb? Blow the fuel into the carb when starting when it is hot (almost like priming it)? Or is the engine destined to shut itself off when it gets hot for the rest of its life?

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

for priming it, you can put your finger over the exaust port wile it's rolling over for a couple of seconds. then try to start it up. i do agree that you are getting the engine too hot. if you can, get a temp gun. this will help you tune as a newbie, but be carefull you don't let it become a crutch for you.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Delete
Old 07-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Lord

have some one local to you who knows their stuff and get them to tune it in...i would think you could solve the problem with a simple tune change....the motor is a decent little mill....but being new and all it might be hard for you to tell what its supposed to sound like/run like.

diagnosing tuning issues in text is a pretty hard thing to do.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

hows the pinch on it? if you let it get too hot you could have washed the sleeve out. when its hot check to see how easy it is to turn the flywheel by hand. if it spins real easy you've lost your pinch more then likely and thats why its dying when hot and not restarting till it cools and has a chance for the sleeve to constrict back down. if that is the case youll need to get the sleeve repinched, a new piston and sleeve or new motor...that is up to you. I always get mine pinched at least once before moving on to a new motor.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If its a new motor im thinking that its the carb body also. Is this a Mach 427 ? I thought someone early had said that, but I also have that motor and if it gets too hot say above 270, it will not start either until it cools down.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TUNE
Old 07-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
hows the pinch on it? if you let it get too hot you could have washed the sleeve out. when its hot check to see how easy it is to turn the flywheel by hand. if it spins real easy you've lost your pinch more then likely and thats why its dying when hot and not restarting till it cools and has a chance for the sleeve to constrict back down. if that is the case youll need to get the sleeve repinched, a new piston and sleeve or new motor...that is up to you. I always get mine pinched at least once before moving on to a new motor.
The pinch seems fine. Whenever it stalls, I manually roll the flywheel until I feel the pinch (to give the starter box the most run-up). I always feel it.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Madbrad
If its a new motor im thinking that its the carb body also. Is this a Mach 427 ? I thought someone early had said that, but I also have that motor and if it gets too hot say above 270, it will not start either until it cools down.
It is the 350 - the enginee that comes with the Losi RTR 2.0 8ight buggy.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by roadracer43
TUNE
I have been reading through the tune bible and will be following the suggestions next time I'm out.