Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching the roto-start on RC8T RTR

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

so getting that backplate for this motor actually gains some speed?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Initiate

alright, so theres a little more to it than just cutting it off, is the crank gonna be easy, like just slide out.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
so getting that backplate for this motor actually gains some speed?
haha i hope it does.... even though i plan on upgrading soon.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Originally Posted by RC8nate
haha i hope it does.... even though i plan on upgrading soon.
yep, you'll hafta remove your clutch from the motor, remove the head. Then push the sleeve out the top of the motor, take the piston and rod of the crank and remove them, then the crank should push right out of the motor.

And yes i did notice a slight performance increase. Its not like a night and day thing, just a little bit, most people my not notice it and some may not even experience it...

this vid is pretty good to, shows how to tear a motor down and give some good information of Mark from Powerhouse Performance, who is a great guy to have your motors modded by. I'm going to have my Pro .28 gone through and modded by him over the winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLXSZ...eature=related

Last edited by megasaxon; 07-23-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Initiate

alright thanks so much man. i appreciate it, it sounds like a handful but i cant wait to try. doesnt sound like it should take me to long. ill let you know how everything goes when i get started. the parts been ordered so it just waiting till it get here lol. thanks a lot.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

alright thanks so much man. i appreciate it, it sounds like a handful but i cant wait to try. doesnt sound like it should take me to long. ill let you know how everything goes when i get started. the parts been ordered so it just waiting till it get here lol. thanks a lot.
sounds good man, good luck! remember when you reassemble the motor, use some afterrun oil on all the parts, help with assembly and makes sure everything is lubed good b4 you fire it again
Old 07-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Initiate

alright perfect, and when you say after run oil is that a type or brand?
Old 07-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Default part came in!

Alright well my part came in and I'm gonna attempt to pull it apart, cut the knob off and pit it back together correctly..... first I'm gonna clean it obviously then slowly take it apart. any suggestions before i start? oh yeah and right now before i took my motor out, the clutch bell came lose and was making my gear grind on my rear brake lever.....it was just extremely lose so i tightened it back up and there seems to be a tiny bit of play on the bell, is that suppose to be there? and can i thread lock that so it wont come lose as easy?
Old 07-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Alright well my part came in and I'm gonna attempt to pull it apart, cut the knob off and pit it back together correctly..... first I'm gonna clean it obviously then slowly take it apart. any suggestions before i start? oh yeah and right now before i took my motor out, the clutch bell came lose and was making my gear grind on my rear brake lever.....it was just extremely lose so i tightened it back up and there seems to be a tiny bit of play on the bell, is that suppose to be there? and can i thread lock that so it wont come lose as easy?
i wouldn't loctite it, clutchbell bearings need replaced too often and clutch needs serviced often as well. just keep an eye on it, usually doesn't come loose.

as far as afterrun oil, i use hobbico brand afterrun oil, a def must to have whenever you have a nitro. I put afterrun oil in my motors(remove glow plug and put 5-6 drops down the glow plug hole) every week after i race them. It makes sure that no moisture can cause rust inside the motor. It aides in making sure everything assembles easily when you rebuild your motor