Wiki Posts
Search

Two nitro noob questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Two nitro noob questions.

One: How much air filter oil is too much?

Two: Any thing I should do to an engine before first fire up and break in? Pre-lube or anything? Or just run it out of the box? Its an OS 28 ZX.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devilbrad

Two: Any thing I should do to an engine before first fire up and break in? Pre-lube or anything? Or just run it out of the box? Its an OS 28 ZX.
1. You dont want oil running down into your engine.Just enough to cover the filter.

2. If you have got a heat gun or hair dryer (preferably heat gun) heat it up then start it...It will make it 10 times easier to start.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

definitely pre-heat the engine before breakin itin
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

I planned on preheating it, just havent seen anything about pre lubing and if its neccessary. Thanks guys!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I planned on preheating it, just havent seen anything about pre lubing and if its neccessary. Thanks guys!
No problems.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

IMO pull it apart and clean out with nitro spray then after run it. Metal has been in more than a few of mine from machining
Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

I pull the head & back plate off mine & swish fuel around inside a few times.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One: Tt should just be tacky to the touch, and be fully permeated through the filter. If it is "soaked" the engine won't breathe.

Two: Get a different engine. What you have is a demon from hell... even the fast guys are afraid to run it! It is WAAAAAAY too much motor for a newbie!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DOMIT
One: Tt should just be tacky to the touch, and be fully permeated through the filter. If it is "soaked" the engine won't breathe.

Two: Get a different engine. What you have is a demon from hell... even the fast guys are afraid to run it! It is WAAAAAAY too much motor for a newbie!
You know what - I tell that to ALL the newbs here and do they listen no - I say dont get the OS28 its just to much and you will get beat because you have to make 22 more pit stops than a 21. Plus - it makes it harder to learn how to drive.
So this pass Sat alot of the pro guys came out to the newb track to run "show support" but there was one newb that has the .28 yappin at the mouth that he is ready to move up to pro class, hahahahahahahahahah, after that Amain coming in 7 laps down ( truth ) he is not selling the .28 hahahaha
Old 07-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

the engine is prelubed already - would rust otherwise

a disassembly for checking purposes and further prelubing won't hurt if you know what you're doing. Dont overlube it either, puts too much pressure on the rod as all the oil won't burn and still uses space in the combustion chamber.

And read the break-in bible

paul
Old 07-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

I keep hearing that about the 28, perhaps I have jumped the gun, LOL I have been looking at picking up a V Spec.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I keep hearing that about the 28, perhaps I have jumped the gun, LOL I have been looking at picking up a V Spec.
The VSPEC is a good engine, and "just enough" for the truck... Good fuel mileage too. The Ninja is just a bit more power, at just a bit more cost. Both are good.

The new ODonnell looks good too... and there are lots of other options. Novarossi 5-port is a good one. A Losi Mach 427 if you can find one- (cheap RTR motor that is actually good quality and plenty of power!) perhaps a Trinity .24

I personally run the VSPEC and find it to be plenty for MOST situations... there have been a couple of times where I was wishing for just a touch more top end. Bottom end is just about right- plenty of grunt without being hard to control. The Ninja is everything the VSPEC is + just a little more. I don't run one because I happen to already have 2 VSPECS, otherwise I'd either get that or the new Odonnell motor. (The ODonnell WILL pull me down the straight.)

If you go with the VSPEC, run either a Losi RE11 pipe or a 9853 or 053 pipe. I personally use the cheap Dynamite 053.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Cool, thanks dude!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Addict

I always pull the back plate and carb and seal with gray silicone. Just a little extra assurance for air leaks.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

All you need to do is replace the stock reducer with a 6mm or 5.5mm and it will calm down. Than as you feel the need you can increase the reducer for more power. They are a good engine, but do have mad uncontrollable power with a 8mm or 9mm carb reducer. Remember if you change the reducer you will need to retune.