Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AZ tracks, Tire selection help..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default AZ tracks, Tire selection help..

I am new to the 1/8 Nitro Buggy, I picked up a FT RC8 about a week ago. I am looking at buying a few sets of tires but there are sooo many to chose from. I will run SRS and ET with my buggy, What tires should I pick up?

Thanks for the help..

Nick
Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If you want a complete arsenal of what works best on our tracks, here is a really good guide for ET, SRS and The Nitro Pit

Proline Calipers M2 and M3 compound
Proline Revolvers (same compounds)
Proline Bow-ties (same)
Proline Crimefighters (same)

AKA I-beams Soft and medium
AKA Cityblocks soft and medium

The AKA's last longer and are better balanced, but the inserts are really hard and you may need to lower your shock oil to compensate for the bounce.

If you want to start with just one set of all around good tires. I would go with the AKA I-Beams

Proline Holeshots are good tires also, but they are only good for 1 race day, then they wear out.

For dry track practice at ET moto I would suggest a set of Proline Knuckles in M2 compound
Old 07-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I highly recommend the new proline caliber tires, they are awesome. you will need either AKA I-beams or AKA city blocks as well depends on how the tracks are wet or dry and how hard packed or not they are.

I have only ran AKA since they came out I sold all my proline tires. Since Proline released their new revolver and caliber tread I am impressed. Proline raised the bar again.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jaz240
If you want a complete arsenal of what works best on our tracks, here is a really good guide for ET, SRS and The Nitro Pit

Proline Calipers M2 and M3 compound
Proline Revolvers (same compounds)
Proline Bow-ties (same)
Proline Crimefighters (same)

AKA I-beams Soft and medium
AKA Cityblocks soft and medium

The AKA's last longer and are better balanced, but the inserts are really hard and you may need to lower your shock oil to compensate for the bounce.

If you want to start with just one set of all around good tires. I would go with the AKA I-Beams

Proline Holeshots are good tires also, but they are only good for 1 race day, then they wear out.

For dry track practice at ET moto I would suggest a set of Proline Knuckles in M2 compound

I will probably buy a set of the calibers and a set of the revolvers M3 compound to start with.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by FactoryRacing23
I will probably buy a set of the calibers and a set of the revolvers M3 compound to start with.
i will show them to you tomorrow, since its so hot now. You will be Ok with M2 compound and they will last longer
Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey Jaz, you race with a kid named Kelby? Just wondering because he visited our track last sunday and said he raced at the nitro pit. we also showed him how racing is done in the midwest!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

i will show them to you tomorrow, since its so hot now. You will be Ok with M2 compound and they will last longer
My Xray Friend Jaz is right M2 will last longer but since I am supported by AKA I would recommend AKA City Blocks and I-beams in medium they are real good for the summer at the Nitro Pit.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
hey Jaz, you race with a kid named Kelby? Just wondering because he visited our track last sunday and said he raced at the nitro pit. we also showed him how racing is done in the midwest!
Sorry Matt, The name does not ring a bell, but we have 100 racers and I don't know them all
Old 07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah when I swing by I will take a look at your tire selection..
Old 07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by diamondracing
My Xray Friend Jaz
Thanks, you can be my Painting friend

PS. Kenny requires your services to work on his truggy and paint his house
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

I am new to the 1/8 Nitro Buggy, I picked up a FT RC8 about a week ago. I am looking at buying a few sets of tires but there are sooo many to chose from. I will run SRS and ET with my buggy, What tires should I pick up?

Thanks for the help..

Nick
Since you have a RC8 I would go by SRS and talk to Jake Thayer. He is Maifields mechanic/pitman for all the big races. He knows that car like the back of his hand. He should be able to set you up with the hot ticket. IDK if he has been to ET yet so if he askes tell him Chuck said M3bowties or calibers worked on the Losi. That may help give him an idea of what might work better for you.

Just remember, every car is a little different so what tires that work for one may not work for another. Congrats on your purchase into the greatest class in R/C!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks, you can be my Painting friend

PS. Kenny requires your services to work on his truggy and paint his house
Running my Xray truggy I want to finish the race
Old 07-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by diamondracing
Running my Xray truggy I want to finish the race

Nice so the Pickle will be XRAY all the way! Maybe we can convert him
Old 07-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chuckinator
Since you have a RC8 I would go by SRS and talk to Jake Thayer. He is Maifields mechanic/pitman for all the big races. He knows that car like the back of his hand. He should be able to set you up with the hot ticket. IDK if he has been to ET yet so if he askes tell him Chuck said M3bowties or calibers worked on the Losi. That may help give him an idea of what might work better for you.

Just remember, every car is a little different so what tires that work for one may not work for another. Congrats on your purchase into the greatest class in R/C!

I bought the car from a guy racing it at SRS, He said that Maifield helped him set it up. I just need to buy some new tires and there is to many to choose from... hah... But I will talk to him and see what he can help me with.

Thanks, Nick

O and does Jake work there?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I bought the car from a guy racing it at SRS, He said that Maifield helped him set it up. I just need to buy some new tires and there is to many to choose from... hah... But I will talk to him and see what he can help me with.

Thanks, Nick

O and does Jake work there?

yea jake works there, he does the races. who you buy it from? dan by chance?

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
kelby is pretty tight, me and him race all the time together, it kinda sucks because we have the same line so we bump a lot

I cant wait to try the calipers, Im kinda on a small break from racing. i have a vacation coming up and lots of busy stuff. but i know ill have them for the series race in aug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.